Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although this post refers to a 2011 Kia Sportage I would like to share our recent experience with all Kia owners/potential owners. I and my family currently live in Germany due to my employment by the UK Government (I am a UK citizen). We collected our new Sportage (GDi 2) from the UK on 18 Oct 11.

On return to Germany we noticed that the rear shelf did not work properly (when compared to a showroom model in Germany) and it was subsequently booked in to be reported via the computer system. The car was returned the same day after being 'hooked up' for the fault to be logged. When I collected the car it felt different so much so that it caused me to remark as such to my wife.

After about a week and whilst reversing the car into the garage the car revved without my input. I thought it strange but did not do anything about at the time. Over the following days the fault became more prevalent and was duly booked into the local Kia dealer (08 Dec) for further investigation. On 12 Dec we were told that there was nothing that could be done due to the fault requiring a software update from Kia and that the car would be safe to drive.

We took the car away however over the following days the car became undriveable and downright dangerous. The crux of the fault that if the engine revs above 2500 rpm the engine then takes over and revs to about 4000 rpm and stays there. This does become dangerous when changing gear in wintry conditions as when the clutch is depressed the revs rise so when the clutch is released the front wheels are induced into a spin. This was the case with family in the car on 22 Dec. The car was then taken directly to the local Kia dealer on 22 Dec for them to investigate further (the garage agreed that the car was unsafe to drive).

On 23 Dec we were again contacted by the local Kia dealer stating that the car required a software update that was not locally available. They could not give any indication of when the car would be fixed. We then asked if a courtesy car was available to be told that we would need to go through Kia UK as the car was a UK vehicle.

My wife then contacted Kia UK to be told that, as the car was in Germany, it was not their responsibility. Further persistence from my wife eventually got Kia UK to listen and they evenbelieved the software was available in the UK. The Kia UK Warranty Department was then tasked to liaise with Kia Germany in order that the fault could be rectified. We understood that nothing would happen till afterChristmas but were still left without a vehicle as Kia UK stated that such a request was outside of their juristiction.

Things were then left until 28 Dec when after a phonecall between Kia UK and my wife we wereleft feeling optimistic that we would indeed get our car back fixed in the very near future (up to 2 days). I then visited the local Kia dealer expecting to be given an approximate date for collection of the car to be faced with the answer that the software available would not fix the fault and Kia would need to write the appropriate software accordingly this could take a long time. At no point had Kia Germany contacted the dealer.

After another call to Kia UK customer service asking for a solution to our mobility problems the same answer was given that is was outside of their jurisdiction. During that particular conversationKia UKsuggested that their warranty/technical department believed the fault was more mechanical than software related. When this was passed by me to the local dealer it was met with a degree of 'what do you know'. We then decided to contact Kia Germany ourselvesin an attempt to move things forward using the number quoted by Kia UK. This number did not exist in Germany so we found the number ourselves and contacted Kia Germany. We again relayed the details for them to take forward. Later that day we contacted the garage to be told that they had been given permission, by Kia Germany,to remove parts from one of their showroom modelsin an attempt to fix our car and that we would be contacted on 29 Dec accordingly.

During 29 Dec we were indeed contacted by the garage to be told that the parts for a LHD car were not compatible with a RHD car. The parts were not available within the UK and would need to be ordered from Korea with a minimum delivery time of 2 weeks. A further call was made to Kia UK to ask what could now be done about our mobility issues to again be given the same answer. When my wife asked if she could use the RAC Kia Assist for a replacement car she was told that she could not use that as we were not resident in the UK and to use would be comitting fraud.

So in essence after spending a large amount of money on a Kia wehave been left without a car for an indefinate periodwith no prospect of a replacement unless we pay/hire ourselves.

Kia UK's response; As the car is in Germany it is out of our jurisdiction.

Kia Germany's response; As the car was notpurchased in Germany there is nothing we can do.

Thankyou Kia for hideing behind international boundaries. My biggest regret is ever considering a Kia in the first place I will not make that mistake again.

I am sure that the car will be fixed in the fullness of time however Kia's customer care in the interim leaves alot to be desired indeed the prime mover in all of this has been my wife as if it was not for her persistence we would still be left with a car waiting for non existent software update.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have also recently had 7 months of issues with my venga,and i have threatened kia with the press,trading standards,the finance company and in many other ways,to the extent that i now have a brand new improved replacement, i was in contact with a few helpful folk at kia,yes there is a few! one was David Peate at kia uk,and the other was amy rodricks,kia uk s head of pr and marketing,she can be contacted by emailing [email protected],both were very helpful.Kia s dealerships seem to be left hanging and helpless most of the times as they wait for a response from kia,who work very slowly with a matter,and it certainly throws doubt in to my head regarding their 7year warranty,which i think is actually full of holes of the looped kind!
Good luck!
James.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Stories like this make me sick. All the Kia EUROPEAN models conform to EUROPEAN legislation. All the money goes back into the same pot in Korea at the end of the day! Every firm (not just Kia) need to book there ideas up. If they want to trade in the European Union ( the so called "free trade" BS) then there shouldn't be any jurisdiction. It just seams every company takes the advantages of border less trade, yet also uses it as an excuse to abandon liability. If you have them to hand, check finance papers, your contract is with a bank, no doubt Santander, get hold of them. There a world wide company who don't pick or choose the way they treat people dependant of where they reside. Might put a bit of pressure on Kia UK. other than that my friend I sincerely hope you get sorted ASAP.

·
Registered
660 Posts
A nice chap at santander was very keen to chase kia up over my issues as 7 months was far too long to be having any issue with a new car not to mention tha drivability issue that i had.But it did nt reach that point,i had santander on 'standby' if you like,but yes i agree,they are very powerful and do not want their customers to be unhappy,it looks bad on them. they also have reps that continiously travel around dealerships according to this nice chap, to check that everything is ok.
James

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello fellow Kia Owners I thought I would update you with our story so far. So we waited for parts to arrive from Kia which they duly did and we got the car back on Thu (12 Jan). Happily drove the car over the weekend about 125 miles. However, whilst using the car today (16 Jan) the fault reappeared although not as bad as 22 Dec it has gotten noticably worse as the day has progressed.

Needless to say I am one unhappy bunny. The car will go back to the garage tomorrow and I am sure they will scratch their heads. Bearing in mind it took 3 weeks to have the car fixed for 3 days I wonder how long it will take for a permanent fix!

On the plus side as you are aware we are based in Germany and the dealer that sold us the car did provide another Sportage for us to use for a few days however that has been returned so hopefully we might be able to have the use of it again.

I am not normally miserable and there are more serious issues in this world but when you believe you are being taken for a mug it does eat you up inside; the rage is near boiling point. We are very close to finding a second car due to the unreliability of our less than 3 month old car that cannot be right.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Write a formal letter stating that you wish to reject the vehicle as the dealership has now failed a number of times in trying to fix the problem,they have to follow this through as you have your rights as a consumer, it took me 7 months to get the results, but its all water under the bridge now.James.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The car goes back into the garage today and Kia UK technical team are liasing with Kia Germany technical team to try to resolve this issue.
Every time you change gear the enginge over revs to the point people turn to look. It's annoying and embarrising at the same time. Spoke to a Kia garage in UK this morning and they have never heard this problem before. OBviously we have the Friday car. Am hoping that if the problem is not fixed this time Kia recall the car and if they don't then we will be refusing the car as it is not fit for purpose. You buy a new car for reliability so far its about as reliable as a flat battery.

·
Registered
170 Posts
james did you talk to kia uk or one of there - rac call center staff? most of them dont seem to now anything about what kia cars are

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK so we got the car back on 20 Jan apparently fixed. All was well until today (27 Jan) when the very same fault re-appeared. Needless to say a very extensive email was sent to Kia UK and the dealer rejecting the car.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i found this on line maybee it might help you

many new cars have faults. Its just what happens. They are replacing the parts free of charge so dont complain really. You cant really 'return' a car technically as once you signed the dotted line its yours. As well as that they are doing everything possible to rectify the faults. the only time you can reject it is before you sign the paperwork i believe. If you find a scratch etc that may mean its not 100%<br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb250, 250, 250; ">I know its 'new' so it shouldnt have faults but cars do, hence the warranty!<br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb250, 250, 250; ">I own a fiat and although they have a poor reputation mines solid as a rock, i recently put newer springs on it and the salesman even commented that my car looked better than the original when I went to get it serviced a couple of weeks ago!<br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb250, 250, 250; "><br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb250, 250, 250; ">Sometimes when a new model is launched as well, some parts may not be 100%. They sometimes have recalls. This is rare mind. its just a trial and error process they are always trying to find better ways of build quality so there are no rattles and bumps.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I can confirm that you can successfully reject a new car.See the posts in the venga forum under 'problem with 1.4 ecodynamics', and 'New venga MY12'

I successfully rejected my new venga shortly after delivery of it in May 2011,and although it took a while owning to kia trying one last software rewrite, i recieved my up-specced venga 3 on 23rd December 2011.

start the process by writing to your dealership/michael cole md saying that you are rejecting the vehicle on the grounds you mention and that unless an exact spec replacement is offered immediatley at no further cost to you,them you will be forced to follow the route of notifying the relevant external parties for further assistance.
Kia think that all their owners are of the quiet lay down and accet it type,and flag up their warranty all to often,but they are finding out that we are not all like that,and some of expect our moneys worth!
Good luck,james.

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,120 Posts
As already mentioned ALL goods sold in the UK are subject to the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (SOGA) and must be 'as described', 'of satisfactory quality' and 'fit for purpose'.
'If your claim is about a problem that arises within six months of buying the product, it's up to the retailer to prove that the goods were of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose, or 'as described' when it sold them e.g. by showing that the problem was caused by an external factor such as accidental damage. Beyond six months, it's up to you to prove that the problem was there when you received the goods even if it has taken until now to come to light.'

Phil

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well at last we have moved forward. Kia,after many phonecalls have decided to allow us to reject the car and issue us a brand new Kia Sportage like for like swap. The garage we bought the car from have been fantastic in this whole episode and have very kindly lent us a Sportage until ours is delivered. Bearing in mind we had to cancel our Christmas plans to come back to UK and our plan for half term wk Kia have and I quote "do not feel we need to financialy compensate you" this includes the cost of numerous telephone calls to their Customer Care centre which are very expensive from overseas, our train fare to collect a loan car from 3hrs away from us or any other expenses incurred throughout this period.
Would I purchase another Kia from them NO would I recommend anyone to purchase a Kia NO.
I have asked on numerous occasions for Head Office telephone number or email address and am being told that everything needs to go through Kia Customer Care. So if anyone out there has an email address or a telephone number other than Customer Care I will be very much appreciated if they could pass this on to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts