Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi so my KIA has just failed it's MOT

Repair immediately (major defects):

• Offside Front Side repeater incorrect colour (4.4.3 (a))
  • Offside Front Headlamp aim projected beam image is obviously incorrect (4.1.2 (c))
  • Nearside Front Inner Drive shaft joint constant velocity boot split or insecure, no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (6.1.7 (g) (ii))
  • Offside Front Upper Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (5.3.4 (b) (ii))
Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):

• Nearside Front Battery insecure but not likely to fall from carrier (4.13 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Front Upper Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint dust cover severely deteriorated (5.3.4 (b) (i))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Nearside Rear Coil spring corroded (5.3.1 (b) (i))
  • Offside Rear Coil spring corroded (5.3.1 (b) (i))

I will get the major defects fixed are they big jobs should how much should it cost you think?
Is it worth me getting a quote for the minior defects too?
I have also found the suspension super stiff on this car is it possible to replace or soften the suspension at all?

I don't know much about cars as you can proably guess.

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
963 Posts
The major and minor defects should not cost the earth to sort.

Springs are not expensive but its normal for alternatives to be firmer not softer. Most of us are happy with the car we buy, only the boy racer type thinks firmer is better. Unless a previous owner has fitted uprated springs any replacements will be little different. For the record very few cars have springs that have no surface corrosion. They only get a waft of paint which soon falls off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for quick and informative reply. I am mostly happy with the car just on the roads where I live I feel every bump and I recently hurt my back so feel it even more but I can live with it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Worth getting both sides done for the Anti-Roll Bar. Should be very cheap (£10 Part) unless you go to Kia
Common on lots of Cars.

Same with the CV (Constant Velocity) Joint.

Springs I wouldn't personally bother about.
I had a 2008 5 Door Ceed and that was firm. You probably won't get it any better with new Springs
They are chunky things and a bit of surface rust won't affect them.

The Battery I guess has been changed and the Clamp wasn't put back on.

Did the MOT Garage not give you a Quote to fix?
This sort of work is ideal for a local independent Garage rather than a Kwik-Fit/Halfords. Certainly not one for a Kia Dealer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Worth getting both sides done for the Anti-Roll Bar. Should be very cheap (£10 Part) unless you go to Kia
Common on lots of Cars.

Same with the CV (Constant Velocity) Joint.

Springs I wouldn't personally bother about.
I had a 2008 5 Door Ceed and that was firm. You probably won't get it any better with new Springs
They are chunky things and a bit of surface rust won't affect them.

The Battery I guess has been changed and the Clamp wasn't put back on.

Did the MOT Garage not give you a Quote to fix?
This sort of work is ideal for a local independent Garage rather than a Kwik-Fit/Halfords. Certainly not one for a Kia Dealer.
Well the battery failed the MOT last year because it wasn't secure enough apparently. So they charged me something like £10 to put some zip ties on it...This time I bought a cheap battery holder from Halfords but clearly I didn't fit it very well.

They want about £230 to fix the CV joints does that sound fair? it was F1 Auto Center

·
Registered
552 Posts
A bit pricey but not terrible if it is just the CV Joint. Or are they doing the other failure bits as well?
Sometimes the Fast Fit places are very convenient and you pay a bit more. I have used them myself with no real problems but prefer small indy Garages

For the Battery Clamp have a look on Ebay for Ceed Breaking, contact the Seller and ask for the Battery Clamp.
They don't tend to list small parts like this separately.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Well the battery failed the MOT last year because it wasn't secure enough apparently. So they charged me something like £10 to put some zip ties on it...This time I bought a cheap battery holder from Halfords but clearly I didn't fit it very well.

They want about £230 to fix the CV joints does that sound fair? it was F1 Auto Center
Get some clarity on what exactly they are proposing to do with hte CV joints. If it is replacement drive shafts both sides then that is cheap. If it is only replacement gaiters then that is expensive and you will be replacing the drive shafts fairly soon because dirt has got into them already.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts