Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having just had one for 24 hours I thought I would share my personal thoughts of my first ever experience with a EV model

To put it in context I currently have a 2019 VW Tiguan turbo diesel (190 bhp)
  1. I smiled every time I accelerated - the instant power delivery is something else. Having been used to TDi engine and learning to drive around the turbo kick in
  2. Battery life. I left the car dealer on 256 miles (interesting that I have seen others report it showing over 300 miles on 100%). Driven home approx 5 miles on A and B roads to find that the regen actually meant that I still had 256 miles left on arrival. Pretty impressive. Interesting however that driving on a Motorway for 10 miles , below and close to 70mph on cruise that it used pretty much 10 miles. So I do expect that for a long journey on only motorway I will get close to the 256
  3. The front parking sensors only activate either by engaging reverse initially or by pressing the button on the console. A little strange when I was testing it when approaching my garage forward on. I instantly thought that they had been disabled.
  4. No Park Pilot. I know the immediate reaction may be that its a gimmick, but I visit a number of friends and family that have on street parking at various hilly locations and the addition of using it to parallel park is just brilliant. Yes, ultimately I think if I had to do it manually now would be a royal PITA. Not the end of the world but I would add it as an option if I could
  5. AutoHold is not "ON" by default and has to be selected per journey/car start
  6. Road noise from the tyres is exaggerated by how quiet the car is in motion and an almost spaceship sound. Unsure if I like it not, but certainly driven briskly a nice tone
  7. Wireless Apple CarPlay but seems that only certain Kia UK models have this
  8. Cabin temperature. The cabin heats up really quickly. Temperature notification would have been nicer if it took up a larger part of the display when setting
  9. The drivers seat. Having the seat move back/forward when you get in/out is a nice feature
  10. Love the space in the boot to store the retractable load cover and space for the charging cable
  11. A shame the engine bay doesn't have more space for storage - makes more sense for the charging cable to be situated here?
  12. The symmetrical front grill - I may have been tempted to have added a fake flap
  13. LED headlights, its a shame they don't follow the steering wheel. However I would say the auto main beam works well
  14. Front Fog lights. As far as I can tell they do not activate when cornering at low speeds for additional lighting
  15. It does like to 'bing' and 'bong' - certainly the seat belt warning as you power on - a change of habit of seatbelt then power on
  16. Map. It didn't seem to like saving the 3D map choice on each power on
  17. Navigation. I have seen that lots of people dislike car nav systems but on the whole I think it worked really well. I like the fact that it showed you the next two manoeuvres
  18. The mirror unfold on approaching the vehicle seems a strange standard and hope it can be disabled. Can image it being in a tight space garage causing problems otherwise
  19. Range anxiety. Given point 2. above and the fact we have very few charging points here I would have to concede to a home charger.
  20. Fuel costs. I can get a off peak tariff close to 2p which makes a "fill up" of about £4. I haven't looked into what they call off peak or the duration of that period. Without doing mega calculations. If I can get 10,000 miles of Diesel in my current car at todays prices is about £1,600 - the Niro at £4 and 250 mile range is about £160. Yes I know the cost of the car blah blah - but a clear incentive to me.
  21. UVO. As this wasn't my car I didn't attempt to register etc but the addition of live traffic and camera warnings is a great additional feature

Each manufacturer clearly have their own idea of what we want but I was surprised at the level of customisation available via the head unit
There are a couple of things in my list above that are a real gripe and are pushing me away

I am going to find it difficult to find an alternative car to compete if I do decide to go full EV
However, right now I am still contemplating the switch from Diesel to Petrol as I just don't do the mileage to warrant the cost and if I look at my journey types its either a daily commute of 30 miles of Motorway and A Roads or a quick spin round the village for various reasons.

As a final note, given I thought we had a global shortage of components. I am told that if I order today delivery could be as soon as two weeks

I am not trying to create a divide here, just thought readers would like to read my opinion... or NOT

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
Where on earth do you get a " I can get a off peak tariff close to 2p " from?
I thought maybe Octopus Agile. But any prices that low will now be pipe dreams. (unless you are on a cheap fixed tariff deal, which have long gone)
Other than that you need solar panel's. Which can allow you to charge the car for free. Just need to remember to factor in the cost of them...

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I thought maybe Octopus Agile. But any prices that low will now be pipe dreams. (unless you are on a cheap fixed tariff deal, which have long gone)
Other than that you need solar panel's. Which can allow you to charge the car for free. Just need to remember to factor in the cost of them...
The current Octopus Agile off peak rate is 14.65p/kWh.

Back in April we swapped to Octopus Go having bought a PHEV. The off peak rate was 5p/kWh which was slightly more expensive than some companies but the peak rate of 13.45p/kWh was way lower than the alternatives. The Octopus gas rate was also much lower. My spreadsheet showed that overall the Octopus annual bill would be much lower than the other offers. But how many people look at the bigger picture? most will be blinded by a cheap off peak rate that potentially costs them when the other rates are taken into account.

The 2p peak rate would have been a pipe dream earlier this year and from a quick search is definitely a pipe dream now. Octopus Go still offers 5p/kWh off peak but instead of the offpeak rate of 13.45p/kWh we currently pay its now 23.76p/kWh. When our current deal comes up for renewal I will search around and do the sums but until then will "enjoy" our current rates.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where on earth do you get a " I can get a off peak tariff close to 2p " from?
That information is based on me being on British Gas tariff "Electric Drivers Jul 2023" and charging during off peak
which states an off peak cost of 6.25p per kWH

64 kWH battery x 6.45p = £4

250 miles divided by £4 = 1.6p

perhaps my calculation is completely wrong and wont British Gas dont say is the duration of off peak. It does concern me that off peak is not long enough to do a full charge and should have been part of my statement above that to make it more cost effective you have to start being smart with tariff and charge timings

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
That information is based on me being on British Gas tariff "Electric Drivers Jul 2023" and charging during off peak

perhaps my calculation is completely wrong and wont British Gas dont say is the duration of off peak. It does concern me that off peak is not long enough to do a full charge and should have been part of my statement above that to make it more cost effective you have to start being smart with tariff and charge timings
That makes more sense, the "close to 2p" is your calculated cost per mile and and not the tariff rate.

Using the same methodology our PHEV takes about 5.5 hours for a "full" charge from zero to 34 miles (in summer - less in winter), cost would be about 60 pence if all done at the 5p rate but that's only for 4 hours remember, the last 1.5 hours is at the 13.45 rate. As a result the total cost is about 90p. That means my "cost per mile" is about 2.6 pence but would be 1.76 pence if it was all at the low rate.

Considering the "cost per mile" using petrol is about 13p at todays petrol prices its a substantial and for most of the year most of our journeys are under 30 miles it means we can benefit form electricity for most of the time.

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
The current Octopus Agile off peak rate is 14.65p/kWh.

Back in April we swapped to Octopus Go having bought a PHEV. The off peak rate was 5p/kWh which was slightly more expensive than some companies but the peak rate of 13.45p/kWh was way lower than the alternatives. The Octopus gas rate was also much lower. My spreadsheet showed that overall the Octopus annual bill would be much lower than the other offers. But how many people look at the bigger picture? most will be blinded by a cheap off peak rate that potentially costs them when the other rates are taken into account.

The 2p peak rate would have been a pipe dream earlier this year and from a quick search is definitely a pipe dream now. Octopus Go still offers 5p/kWh off peak but instead of the offpeak rate of 13.45p/kWh we currently pay its now 23.76p/kWh. When our current deal comes up for renewal I will search around and do the sums but until then will "enjoy" our current rates.

Thanks. I was under the impression that the Agile price could go very low if there was a surplus of electricity.

I'm one of the unlucky ones who's supplier has gone bust. Now been moved to Eon Next. So waiting on just what we are going to be paying going forward. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2020 e-Niro 4+
15 Posts

After 10 months of ownership of a 4+ I would make a couple of observations:-

First it is highly unlikely that you will ever give your car a full 64 kWh charge at home as that means you have run the car to 0% which it shouldn't let you do.
Second you will put in more than you expect, say you charge from 50% to 100% you would expect that to be 32.5 kWh but in practice it will turn out to be more like 38 kWh, there are losses in the system and the battery is also bigger than 64 kWh.

My tariff at the moment is 14.61p per kWh all day so my costs work out at just about 3.6p per mile which is far better than the 15p per mile that I would have been paying with my previous car, Skoda Karoq 1.5 petrol.

We calculated a cost of 4.5p per mile before we ordered that car, we will never get electicity that cheap in the future, but we didn't just get the Niro for the cheap mileage.

·
Registered
2021 E niro 4+ in Black
19 Posts
Really don' know where all these cheap electric prices come from, mine was 16.9p and is going up to 22.9. Any cheap rate is only economical if I use 40% of our electric overnight (not going to happen)). As I was paying about 30p a mile with my Land Rover I am still saving a lot.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Really don' know where all these cheap electric prices come from, mine was 16.9p and is going up to 22.9. Any cheap rate is only economical if I use 40% of our electric overnight (not going to happen)). As I was paying about 30p a mile with my Land Rover I am still saving a lot.
We got our 13.45p peak and 5p off peak rate from the Octopus Go tariff earlier this year.

But those rates are now long gone. The off peak rate is still 5p but the peak rate is now 24.69p.

Might be better deals next year when its time for us to look again.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Sensible review and encouraging.
As for auto folding mirrors, if you're worried about tight garage space, how would you get in and out of the car if you think the mirrors won't fit? :)
At the moment, with electricity prices going silly a solar panel system is starting to appeal, pity there's no Feed In Tariff to encourage a larger system where possible so you get some repayment within the lifetime of your grandchildren :(

Reactions: Ray.Ward

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Personally I don't have an issue with the Auto unfold of the mirrors on approach to the vehicle, it was just one of those things I noticed and thought I would call it out for other benefits

I do however share your concern over energy prices and wish I could forecast that for the future (if I could I probably wouldn't be the job I am now). Against the high fuel costs not sure where we are going to be and still on the fence about ICE <> EV

If as you say there were alternative incentives easily achievable like energy battery storage / solar but need to understand the investment break even point as I fear that could be an easy £10,000 outlay and a 5+ year term to see anything much in return.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.