Kia Owners Club Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
326 Posts
Still broken.

Sadly the app still accepts my Kia Account email address and password, but when I "Continue Kia Connect registration" in order to create the Kia Connect account the email address the app has copied forward the app then tells me is not valid.
The error is Please enter a valid email address". Well, Kia Connect app - I cannot enter a valid address - you copied it from the Kia Account I just correctly logged in with...

Basically - fix your logic to accept a + sign in the left side of an email address - before the @. The standards say it's valid. Gmail says it's valid. My Kia Account says it's valid. This forum says it's valid. Just your app tells me it is not valid.

I love spending over £30,000 for a car then bugs in the accompanying app denies me functionality I purchased.
@mdsh as this is your first post here its difficult to understand what is 'Still broken'

Reading through your rather confusing post you seem to be saying that you believe that the Kia Connect app is rejecting your email address and you believe this is because you have a + symbol in the first part of your email address. If this is correct how have you come to this conclusion?

·
Registered
2 Posts
@mdsh as this is your first post here its difficult to understand what is 'Still broken'

Reading through your rather confusing post you seem to be saying that you believe that the Kia Connect app is rejecting your email address and you believe this is because you have a + symbol in the first part of your email address. If this is correct how have you come to this conclusion?
Hi. Thank you for your warm welcome :) I was only told about this forum today, so I have just joined.

I have reported the issue to Kia via other methods - case reference – KMUK0769209.

On 16/06/2021 15:49, [email protected] wrote:
Case Reference – KMUK0769209

Dear Mark

Thanks for your recent contact. I apologise for the delay in my response.

This fault has been raised to our development team as we are aware of
the issue, however, there have been no timescales provided on the fix.
We’re hoping this to be within the near future.
Since the fault has not been fixed with this new version of software, I thought I would post about it here.

Yes, your conclusion is correct.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
326 Posts
Hi. Thank you for your warm welcome :) I was only told about this forum today, so I have just joined.

I have reported the issue to Kia via other methods - case reference – KMUK0769209.

Since the fault has not been fixed with this new version of software, I thought I would post about it here.

Hello and Welcome 😉

It would seem that you have this well in hand and Kia are looking into it so its unlikely that anyone here will be able to add much sadly. It is a little odd that the app is not accepting your email address as I didn't think there were any constraints on characters you can use in email addresses, if so there is no reason for the app to check for any.

As you haven't been given a timescale for a resolution you might want to try a work around, one would be set up a new email address and use that, you might need to setup a new profile in the car and a new Kia account but it will be quicker and less frustrating than waiting for Kia to come up with a fix. You could even automatically forward that new email address to your normal one.

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV
63 Posts
Regarding locking & unlocking with the Kia Connect App - Nothing to worry about as far as I can see. It is only a matter of "may not" rather than "will not"... be able to unlock with the app if the key was left in the car. There is only the potential problem of a mobile network or internet problem or Kia's back-end servers being down or your mobile battery being flat. If everything is working you can unlock the car with the app, even if you left the key inside.
Caveat: This was tested on a 2021 Kia Soul EV with the new Kia Connect app.

Here's what I did:-
I left my key in the car; closed the door; tried pressing the black button on the door handle - Naturally, the car beeped and refused to lock
I ran the new app on my phone; selected 'Lock'; did the security thing (finger recognition in my case on Android) - The car locked and folded it's ears in
Tried pushing the black button on the door handle - No sound and no unlocking (like you would wish)
I used the app to 'Unlock' - I got the notification to my phone that the command was sent and successful and the car unlocked with a clunk (it kept it's ears folded)
I opened the door and retrieved my key from inside - No problem

So it seems there are potential problems which Kia are stressing, some outside of their control, but maybe their backend services might be having a snooze too. There's no need to panic that remotely locking the car (perhaps after getting the warning notification that you left it unlocked) will leave you stranded, needing a key from your partner, perhaps 200 miles away!

The small-print caveat: So this was our Soul EV, running this year's software SK3_E.EUR.S5W_L.001.210303 (i.e. the 2021-03-03 software). The Kia Connect app is the Android version 2.1.0
Maybe other models or other car software will behave differently - Perhaps it is worth trying your own tests whilst you have a second key available (unless KCS reckon my test was a lucky success based on this generation of car and software)?

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV
63 Posts
Regarding acceptable email addresses (@mdsh problem) - Kia should ensure that they allow legal email addresses to be used. If they validate an email address for creation of the account they should at least make sure that the validation is the same for the app (or drop that validation all together, for reasons I'm about to explain). Not being consistent within the same company looks rather sloppy.
Users should not have to create new email addresses just to make use of services from Kia. Imagine if every website, or even all the different charging apps, had been as sloppy so we kept on needing different emails! (It's bad enough that so many different businesses have different requirements for passwords).
It's not legitimate to barf because there is a plus symbol '+' in the user's name. Period.
I often use '+' too, because it allows me to track who might have sold my email to another company e.g. [email protected] or [email protected]
See Create task-specific email addresses - Google Workspace Learning Center

Kia's different validation via the mobile app route is particularly ridiculous because the user must already have an online Kia account. So Kia only need to validate that the email entered by the app matches an existing account email. Doing more than that is unnecessary and risks creating situation like @mdsh encountered.

I don't expect any end-users here to need to read about 'RFC' standards for email addresses, but Kia are clearly "banged to rights" by the @mdsh case reference – KMUK0769209
It's an "open and shut case", not a matter of opinion. I recall reading warnings in KiaOwnersClub about use of mobile numbers expressed with the leading zero or the +44 country-code format - Apparently WE have to get this right, because the code isn't robust. This sort of thing is an easily anticipated problem, so the code should be written to handle such likely issues.

Any problem which is easy to demonstrate and where the correct behaviour is obvious, without conflicting opinions, should be should be fixed quickly so it goes out in the next release. It's a simple bug-fix. It should only take longer if a problem is difficult to recreate or has tricky ramifications. Kia have already accepted the email of @mdsh so there should be no problem checking that the Kia Connect app is using an email that is registered! Just drop the unnecessary validation when trying to associate an email with an already registered user.

So I would respectfully suggest that @Kia Customer Service take a look at KMUK0769209 and give it a bit of a bump with HQ
There are a whole lot of possible references for what constitutes a legal email, but Kia should take note of the Gmail special interpretation I linked-to above, because it is a common special use but, more generally, here's a jumping-off point: Acceptable email address syntax according to RFC - MailboxValidator Articles

How about a specific reference from RFC 3696 rfc3696

Without quotes, local-parts may consist of any combination of
alphabetic characters, digits, or any of the special characters

! # $ % & ' * + - / = ? ^ _ ` . { | } ~

With a part-time coder's hat on... I wonder if there's something going wrong with "escaping" the string containing the email, so not a validation problem, a string-handling problem between the client app and the server. Whether it is rogue validation or an escaping error, Kia should fix it because '+' ain't unusual!

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
326 Posts
Regarding acceptable email addresses (@mdsh problem) - Kia should ensure that they allow legal email addresses to be used. If they validate an email address for creation of the account they should at least make sure that the validation is the same for the app (or drop that validation all together, for reasons I'm about to explain). Not being consistent within the same company looks rather sloppy.
Users should not have to create new email addresses just to make use of services from Kia. Imagine if every website, or even all the different charging apps, had been as sloppy so we kept on needing different emails! (It's bad enough that so many different businesses have different requirements for passwords).
It's not legitimate to barf because there is a plus symbol '+' in the user's name. Period.
I often use '+' too, because it allows me to track who might have sold my email to another company e.g. [email protected] or [email protected]
See Create task-specific email addresses - Google Workspace Learning Center

Kia's different validation via the mobile app route is particularly ridiculous because the user must already have an online Kia account. So Kia only need to validate that the email entered by the app matches an existing account email. Doing more than that is unnecessary and risks creating situation like @mdsh encountered.

I don't expect any end-users here to need to read about 'RFC' standards for email addresses, but Kia are clearly "banged to rights" by the @mdsh case reference – KMUK0769209
It's an "open and shut case", not a matter of opinion. I recall reading warnings in KiaOwnersClub about use of mobile numbers expressed with the leading zero or the +44 country-code format - Apparently WE have to get this right, because the code isn't robust. This sort of thing is an easily anticipated problem, so the code should be written to handle such likely issues.

Any problem which is easy to demonstrate and where the correct behaviour is obvious, without conflicting opinions, should be should be fixed quickly so it goes out in the next release. It's a simple bug-fix. It should only take longer if a problem is difficult to recreate or has tricky ramifications. Kia have already accepted the email of @mdsh so there should be no problem checking that the Kia Connect app is using an email that is registered! Just drop the unnecessary validation when trying to associate an email with an already registered user.

So I would respectfully suggest that @Kia Customer Service take a look at KMUK0769209 and give it a bit of a bump with HQ
There are a whole lot of possible references for what constitutes a legal email, but Kia should take note of the Gmail special interpretation I linked-to above, because it is a common special use but, more generally, here's a jumping-off point: Acceptable email address syntax according to RFC - MailboxValidator Articles

How about a specific reference from RFC 3696 rfc3696

Without quotes, local-parts may consist of any combination of
alphabetic characters, digits, or any of the special characters

! # $ % & ' * + - / = ? ^ _ ` . { | } ~

With a part-time coder's hat on... I wonder if there's something going wrong with "escaping" the string containing the email, so not a validation problem, a string-handling problem between the client app and the server. Whether it is rogue validation or an escaping error, Kia should fix it because '+' ain't unusual!
Wow that's a long and empassioned reply and far be it from me to defend a car manufacturer, but we should remember that Kia have acknowledged there is an issue and that they are working on a solution.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·

Hi mdsh

We've just emailed you. We're pushing the developers for a solution as a priority. We've given you the option of re-registering with an alternative email address and whilst we appreciate that shouldn't be necessary, that's at least guaranteed to offer a quick solution whilst getting a fix for the '+' is out of our control at Kia UK.

KCS

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV
63 Posts
Wow that's a long and empassioned reply and far be it from me to defend a car manufacturer, but we should remember that Kia have acknowledged there is an issue and that they are working on a solution.
It comes from a background of knowing how often development teams are driven by some latest in-house project or branding upheaval. Developers themselves often know how many bugs are on the list and how to fix them, but there's some people higher up who want their new toy or redesign to take priority and the old bugs "tech debt" just keep piling up. From the end-users' perspective annoying bugs don't get fixed and it doesn't look good to them. I perceive (perhaps I'm wrong) that there are quite a few silly bugs and usability issues which are recurring themes in forums and don't seem to be getting fixed from release to release. I'm a relatively new owner, but I've seen the "white" to "red" UVO and now the "UVO" to Kia Connect... this rubs a weeping sore that Kia are one of those companies where piddling around with branding is more important than fixing bugs.

One side effect of not fixing bugs is that the "noise" from bugs and false bugs gets in the way of accurate understanding. If people read that an app is stuck showing km rather than miles they begin to believe it's an actual problem, so don't go hunting for the setting to make 'miles' the chosen unit. This morning I removed the UVO app and installed the new Kia Connect. Mostly everything seemed to carry over. Personally, I found that it was showing km, but I quickly set it to miles, because I thought it should be possible. I'm not sure why it doesn't get that choice of unit from the car, I suspect that isn't part of the API between car and UVO system.
...they are working on a solution.
Not always, sometimes such things get called "minor" and "workaround exists" and stay on the back-burner forever
...unless users bang on the table a bit :)

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV
63 Posts
that's at least guaranteed to offer a quick solution whilst getting a fix for the '+' is out of our control at Kia UK
Apologies to @Kia Customer Service - I'm not having a go at you here - I'm thankful that you are listening and responding to users. Really!
The problem is almost certainly at the level of the management of software development & support, where the priorities are settled.
Your answer here does, sort of, reflect a likely S.Korean HQ judgement of "workaround exists - no action required"

There are many forums (not just cars BTW) where users are just moaning and crying in the dark, so it is very much to Kia's credit that you @Kia Customer Service are here and listening!

·
Registered
5 Posts
It should only unlock with the second fob. Without that, it would require a call to KIAssist to gain entry.

KCS
Hold on! I have lost the thread here as to what is this new app? After the mess of the last upgrade from UVO to Connect 21 and all the problems it created, what is the point of this “upgrade”. There are some nice general words, but why do I need to do this? Benefits?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all

We're pleased to announce the release of the new Kia Connect app which replaces UVO Connect 2021. An all-new app was required due to the rebrand and it makes some improvements over the outgoing app. Please download Kia Connect:

View attachment 12007

IMPORTANT

Continue to use your existing login credentials if you already have a Kia Account.

Please delete UVO Connect 2021 before attempting to use Kia Connect because the old app may cause problems with functionality if it remains installed.

Do not lock the vehicle through the remote app door control while the FOB key is inside. Under certain circumstances, unlocking the vehicle door remotely may not be possible as long as the FOB key is inside.

Kia Customer Service
0333 202 2990

Visit Discover Our Kia Range & Find A Local Dealer | Kia Motors UK
Follow https://twitter.com/KiaUK
Join in www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk
Watch www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk

Customer Service opening hours:

Monday to Friday: 08:30 - 19:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 13:00
Sunday: Closed
Do we still have to put a pin number on the car screen every time it's started? It's a pain

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV
63 Posts
Hold on! I have lost the thread here as to what is this new app? After the mess of the last upgrade from UVO to Connect 21 and all the problems it created, what is the point of this “upgrade”. There are some nice general words, but why do I need to do this? Benefits?
I don't think there is new bad behaviour (somebody tell me if I'm wrong). That little snippet about requiring "the second fob" or calling KIAssist was in the context of:
If there is a key inside the car does that mean that its proximity (the key inside the car) would allow the owner (or anyone else) to just push the black lock-button on the door handle in order to unlock the car.
Customer Services gave a reply intending to indicate that no, the car cannot be unlocked by the button on account of one key fob being inside the car. You would need to get another key fob and have it on your person, standing the prescribed distance outside the car door with the button that you intended to press - I'm being purposefully pedantic.
They were answering the question about the key inside conferring the ability for anybody outside to unlock with just the black button.
They made no comment on the possibility of unlocking with the mobile app - It seems you can (I tried it and reported that in post #65) - You should probably try it for yourself when you have access to another fob
  • So there's no new problem using the new app to lock and unlock IMHO
  • A bit of a storm in a teacup has erupted because of a well intentioned warning that you shouldn't lock the car with a key inside
  • Of course it is possible that if you locked with the mobile app you may experience difficulty unlocking if mobile data is unreliable, your phone battery is flat or Kia's remote services go off with the fairies (that's all part of the risk of leaving the key in the vehicle - See Kia Customer Services post #5)
  • A call to KIAsist seemed to light the touchpaper
In post #1 Customer Services wrote
"Do not lock the vehicle through the remote app door control while the FOB key is inside. Under certain circumstances, unlocking the vehicle door remotely may not be possible as long as the FOB key is inside."
The "certain circumstances" does bother me a bit. The words were quite specifically aimed at saying that unlocking may not be possible with a key inside. Maybe there are some odd "edge" cases where the position of the key has this effect. My personal test (knowing that another key was not too far away in the house) showed that I could use the app to lock then unlock and retrieve the key (for a 2021 Soul EV with current software, the key was left in a central cup-holder).
I can't help thinking that whatever the behaviour, the precise behaviour is down to the car. The UVO system will send lock or unlock commands and the car will act as it sees fit with its own software. The change from "UVO" app to "KIA Connect" app seems more cosmetic and allegedly some bug fixes (without specifics - oh for "release notes"!)
Whilst it might be possible for the app to have queried the car for whether there is a key inside, before sending commands, my money wouldn't be on that level of complexity!

I think your question of
...what is the point of this “upgrade”.
...why do I need to do this? Benefits?
...is still relevant.
It's one of those issues where I think there is less that is harmful than was previously imagined, but possibly more that is good than we know about
That's the problem of too much non-functional branding and scant bug-fixing (or insufficient clarity as to what has been fixed and we haven't discovered yet) - Users justifiably ask why should I bother

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV
63 Posts
Do we still have to put a pin number on the car screen every time it's started? It's a pain
Oops - Just seen @iooi response and now noted that you were talking about PIN on the car's infotainment screen. This answer below is irrelevant. Will see if I can remove it

That may depend on your phone.
This morning I installed the new app and it showed me a pin screen but there was some question (I forget the detail) about biometric identification or something similar.
I was then able to resume using a tap on the fingerprint recognition pad.

I'm using the Android version of the app and I can go to the "... More" button, then "App settings", then I can see "Biometric identification". It's an on/off switch. For me it is on so the app treats a finger tap as sufficient authorisation to know it is me sending a command to the car. As before it stays authorised for 10 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
6,264 Posts
Hi & Welcome.

What car & version of UVO are you using?

Never had to enter a PIN on head unit at all.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The only issue I noticed in the new app is that after retrieving the vehicle status, if I press the ‘ok’ button at the bottom of the screen the app crashes.
the new app does solve the intermittent error message I was getting when retrieving vehicle settings.
i use an iPhone 12 mini which is known to break some apps and websites due to its odd aspect ratio.
When la launching the Kia connect app, i get this screen:

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro 4
5 Posts
Hi all

We're pleased to announce the release of the new Kia Connect app which replaces UVO Connect 2021. An all-new app was required due to the rebrand and it makes some improvements over the outgoing app. Please download Kia Connect:

View attachment 12007

IMPORTANT

Continue to use your existing login credentials if you already have a Kia Account.

Please delete UVO Connect 2021 before attempting to use Kia Connect because the old app may cause problems with functionality if it remains installed.

Do not lock the vehicle through the remote app door control while the FOB key is inside. Under certain circumstances, unlocking the vehicle door remotely may not be possible as long as the FOB key is inside.

Kia Customer Service
0333 202 2990

Visit Discover Our Kia Range & Find A Local Dealer | Kia Motors UK
Follow https://twitter.com/KiaUK
Join in www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk
Watch www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk

Customer Service opening hours:

Monday to Friday: 08:30 - 19:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 13:00
Sunday: Closed
Just followed to the letter the instructions re Connect. Result - Connect's only function now is to tell me I have an E-Niro, all other functionality gone. Reinstalled Uvo, and same result. Does anyone test these software releases before issuing them to unsuspecting drivers? I would appreciate sometime from Kia explaining how I can get the functionality back on what was a pretty good app.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just followed to the letter the instructions re Connect. Result - Connect's only function now is to tell me I have an E-Niro, all other functionality gone. Reinstalled Uvo, and same result. Does anyone test these software releases before issuing them to unsuspecting drivers? I would appreciate sometime from Kia explaining how I can get the functionality back on what was a pretty good app.
Did you select the car using the select car button?

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
326 Posts
As neither KiaConnect nor UVO are working its clear its not the app but something else.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts