Kia Owners Club Forum banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
You're asking for the car to know the difference between the fob being inside the car and the fob being in your pocket when stood beside your car.
Yes, I do know a car that does exactly that, my Kia Niro PHEV!!!!! I cannot lock the car using the button on the door handle when the key is inside, it beeps at me incessantly until I realise what the problem is. Not only that but even someone with the second key in their pocket can't lock the car under those circumstances.

However if you leave one fob in the car, you can lock the car using the button on the second fob, which I suppose explains why you can also do it via the Uvo app (which my car doesn't have).

I've also had 2 other cars with keyless entry before my Niro, both Nissans, and they were exactly the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Really, the car recognises the keys are inside and wont allow you to lock it by the door handle, why release an app that you know has a fundamental flaw, that's just beyond, I take it that Kia are going to cover costs for people that don't read this forum and inadvertently lock the keys in the car from the app.
Happened to me 1 mile from home. It was cold when I left, sun came out left the jacket in the car and bingo - locked out! I would've been seriously annoyed if I was a 100 miles away. Had to go home and get the spare key.

Why can the app not lock but give you a warning you've left the key in the car?:mad:

·
Registered
85 Posts
The way I see it is this: for some technical reason (I’m a software developer but I don’t pretend I know software I’ve never seen) when locking the car remotely using the Kia Connect app, if the keys are left inside the car, in some circumstance the car may still lock itself, but if that happens, it will not be possible to unlock it: it seems the keys being present in the vehicle don’t always 100% prevent locking, but will always 100% prevent unlocking.

So that’s a concern that some users here have: if they forget their only key inside the car, don’t lock the car using the button on the door, walk away, receive an alert from the app that the car was left unlocked, and then they decide to lock the car without checking they have a set of keys on them, the car might lock itself but if that happens it will not be possible to unlock the car via the app again.

I wonder if this is the only car make to which this happens, I wonder if it relates to a possible bug in specific vehicles, I wonder if this is just a bug in the app, or if this is a limitation of the system that allows a remote lock command to execute even if keys are detectable inside the car.

Having said all that, I really don’t think it’s an issue worth losing sleep on.

Reactions: iooi

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Kev

• This warning is repeated on the app stores.
  • The owner's manual advises keys should never be left in the car. There is no reason to do this and they should always be kept on the user.
  • The lock / unlock feature has been designed as backup only. There are many factors that could cause a remote unlock instruction to fail e.g. poor signal area, temporary Vodaphone issues, the user reaching their server limit. So the user shouldn't rely on this remote feature in place of the fob.

KCS
Do me a favour! people make mistakes. I left my keys in my jacket on a warm day - it happens - it's called an accident! :unsure:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Happened to me 1 mile from home. It was cold when I left, sun came out left the jacket in the car and bingo - locked out! I would've been seriously annoyed if I was a 100 miles away. Had to go home and get the spare key.

Why can the app not lock but give you a warning you've left the key in the car?:mad:
Can I ask why did you lock the car via the app without checking you had your keys on you? Did the app warn you the car was left unlocked?

·
Registered
4 Posts
As it does with UVO

Well this was the same with UVO and no one has raised a comment before.

I agree it would be best to give a warning but if this isn't possible I would prefer to be able to lock the car with the keys in it provided not being able to unlock it again is just a network issue
It's not a 'network issue' though. It happened to me. My Vodafone iPhone was showing 5 bar. The Uvo was showing 5 bar in the car when I got back to it after going home for the spare key.

It's either a bug, very poor programming or both.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
326 Posts
I've just tried locking the car remotely with the door open and that failed so my guess is the car won't lock with the keys inside but ..........

Who has the bottle to try it 😱
Well my I grew some Cajones and gave it a try and can report that on my Xceed I can lock the keys in the car using UVO and I cannot then unlock the car with the door handle button.

Personally I'm fine with this but I am sure that some who always keep their car fob in their pocket or who have an infallible memory may not agree, but please remember that this is an emergency feature that you will only use when, for whatever reason, you HAVE forgotten to lock the car, if you wear a halo you will never need to use this feature so whether it lets you lock the keys in the car or not is un-important to you 🤣

As I said in #14 I think KCS have dug themselves a hole on this, firstly by appearing to highlight a short coming of the feature and then by telling us how stupid we are if we leave keys in the car. If I were writing up the feature for Kia I would have been more inclined to say something like:

The Kia Remote Locking feature has been developed for those rare occasions when you have forgotten, or just cant remember, if you have locked your car. The Kia Remote Locking feature lets you check whether the car is locked and if it isn't lets you lock it remotely using the Kia Connect phone app, it even enables you to lock the car if you have inadvertently left the keys in the car so that you can be sure that your car is secure until you are able to get back to it. *Please be aware that in the unlikely event that your mobile phone does not have a data signal you may not be able to lock or unlock the car until a data connection is restored.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
326 Posts
It's not a 'network issue' though. It happened to me. My Vodafone iPhone was showing 5 bar. The Uvo was showing 5 bar in the car when I got back to it after going home for the spare key.

It's either a bug, very poor programming or both.
I don't think this is a bug, more likely that the commands go through a Kia or third party server somewhere and sometimes get delayed. I had this today but it resolved itself after 10 mins or so.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well my I grew some Cajones and gave it a try and can report that on my Xceed I can lock the keys in the car using UVO and I cannot then unlock the car with the door handle button.
This apparently was explained a few months ago: the ability to lock with the app and unlock with the button was removed as it was seen as a security issue.
Can you unlock the car using the app instead? Or does that fail too once the keys are in there?

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
326 Posts
This apparently was explained a few months ago: the ability to lock with the app and unlock with the button was removed as it was seen as a security issue.
Can you unlock the car using the app instead? Or does that fail too once the keys are in there?
Sorry I should have said you can lock and unlock the car with the keys inside using the app but cannot unlock the car using the door button with the keys inside.

Edit: I should also say that the car does not auto lock if the keys are left in the car

·
Super Moderator
6,263 Posts
I've just bought a Niro Hybrid 4 on a '19 plate, and it definitely has UVO and I have the UVO app connected
So it is possible you have a MY20 car. But also UVO is not installed on all levels of Spec. So a good chance that "4" was the only spec that got it at that time.
As per latest Kia "2" spec does not have UVO.

·
Registered
e-Niro 4
6 Posts
I've duly done as instructed and deleted UVO and installed KiaConnect on my phone & iPad without any problems, although if it's essentially just because Kia have decided to change the name of the app it seems a bit of a pain for us mere customers. I say this because it doesn't appear to make any difference to functionality, and the fact that the old app was 227.1Mb and the new one 229.2Mb would indeed suggest that not much had changed beyond the logo. (I can't seem to get the climate control to work remotely but it's still very clever stuff - I even had a message on my iPad yesterday telling me I hadn't locked the car!).
My question however is this: Do we have to change the UVO set-up on the car too?
As with the original app it seems to work fine as it is, but whilst the transition was a piece of cake on the mobile devices I hesitate to mess around with re-registration on the head unit for fear that I have to pair everything from scratch and enter VIN codes and passwords etc manually (something that the dealer largely did for me originally). I do want to [needlessly] end up worse off than I am now!

·
Super Moderator
6,263 Posts
My question however is this: Do we have to change the UVO set-up on the car too?
As with the original app it seems to work fine as it is, but whilst the transition was a piece of cake on the mobile devices I hesitate to mess around with re-registration on the head unit for fear that I have to pair everything from scratch and enter VIN codes and passwords etc manually (something that the dealer largely did for me originally). I do want to [needlessly] end up worse off than I am now!
No... If you deregister & register again, you will lose all your history... Done that before. Gutted when it did that....

Once you have entered your details in to the APP on phone that is all you need to do. (y) (y)

·
Registered
Niro DL, 2020, UVO
82 Posts
One diff I found out is, that you now also can use Google Maps for "find my car" and that is nice ...

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 4+
11 Posts
working
Google calendar now links to uvo/connect, the energy consumption is now in miles.
Still not working or broken
App keeps reverting to kms (the pdf Kia keeps posting is wrong, the location doesn’t exist), as per the facebook Kia cs, I changed all 3 locations in the app/car to kms, reset, then put back to miles, not worked, still reverts to kms after a day or so.
Whilst the energy consumption is in miles, they put the decimal in the wrong place, so I’m apparently getting 0.51miles/kw so my e-Niro apparently has a 30 mile range according to that lol

·
Super Moderator
6,263 Posts
working
Google calendar now links to uvo/connect, the energy consumption is now in miles.
Still not working or broken
keeps reverting to kms (the pdf Kia keApp eps posting is wrong, the location doesn’t exist), as per the facebook Kia cs, I changed all 3 locations in the app/car to kms, reset, then put back to miles, not worked, still reverts to kms after a day or so.
Whilst the energy consumption is in miles, they put the decimal in the wrong place, so I’m apparently getting 0.51miles/kw so my e-Niro apparently has a 30 mile range according to that lol
This works with new Connect App

Start app Bottom Right 3 dots (More) User settings > User Profile > Vehicle Settings > Navigation settings > Display > Info ( bottom of screen )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all

We're pleased to announce the release of the new Kia Connect app which replaces UVO Connect 2021.
Still broken.

Sadly the app still accepts my Kia Account email address and password, but when I "Continue Kia Connect registration" in order to create the Kia Connect account the email address the app has copied forward the app then tells me is not valid.
The error is Please enter a valid email address". Well, Kia Connect app - I cannot enter a valid address - you copied it from the Kia Account I just correctly logged in with...

Basically - fix your logic to accept a + sign in the left side of an email address - before the @. The standards say it's valid. Gmail says it's valid. My Kia Account says it's valid. This forum says it's valid. Just your app tells me it is not valid.

I love spending over £30,000 for a car then bugs in the accompanying app denies me functionality I purchased.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts