Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After owning my '06 Cerato for the best part of 3 months now, I think I'm in a better position to question a couple of little querks that I have noticed since changing from my old Passat. If anyone has any information from their own Cerato or a KIA that has either of the following, I would really like to hear your input!

1) A mysterious 'clonk'
I'm finding that when rapidly changing speed, either accelerating or braking, I can feel something that's almost like a small 'clonk' through the steering wheel. It can also be felt when turning corners, more so to the right than the left. I don't 'think' that it feels like a CV (I was cursed with this in my old Passat) ...

2) Start up smoke
My second querk is that when starting up from cold, I seem to have a bluey smoke from the exhaust. After checking the different Google results for this, I booked it in with my local KIA dealer to sort out. They said that the Glow Plugs needed changing, which they did under warranty.

I should have done something about it before now, but it's still smoking on start. I've tried starting several seconds after the Glow Plug indicator lamp goes out on the dash, and also (for the sake of trying things) before it goes out.

I'm not a car mechanic, but I can do an oil change etc. If anyone can recommend I look at something under the car for more help, please do let me know. I have this 'Driver+' extended warranty with the dealer, but I'm not 100% on everything that it covers.

Many thanks to everyone in advance,
Nick

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi

Congratulations on buying the Cerato - I've always wanted one myself

Would you recommend it?

Does it have a 1.5 Crdi engine? And is that same engine I have in my Rio 1.5?

Regards

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi farmer_turner,

After having the car for what is now more than 3 months (getting on for 6 months or so), I can quite definitely recommend it. From what the guy in my local showroom said to me when originally buying it, it does indeed have the same engine as what the Rio has (KIA's first diesel engine according to him).

I have found the economy to be really good, and I have no fears of it not starting when turning the key in the morning whether it's hot or cold weather. The issues I first reported in this post have changed somewhat - the smoking has stopped after using proper diesel rather than supermarket fuel and the little 'clonk' I had is certainly no worse .. perhaps something somewhere in my boot is knocking around I just don't know!

I've done little over 10k miles in it now, and it seems comfortable for driving both in the city and out on a motorway. I'm yet to put it through an MOT yet, but I am not aware of any problems with it at all.

I hope this input helps you!

All the best,
Nick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts