Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im getting a used car brought down from glasgow to sunderland via arnold clarkes. After i arranged it i realused the wheels were not alloy. I spoke to the guy on the phone and i explained i wanted alloys and he said he would see what they could do when the showroom opened on the 8th.
Now im thinking i might better off trying to haggle for a reduced price and buy new kia alloys myself.
The current steel wheel size is 15 inch. If i bought alloys would the current tyre fit straight onto the alloy of the same size or are there other differences in sizes between alloys and steel such as width etc? If so it would mean having to pay extra for new tyres as well as alloys.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Welcome to the Forum,

The Alloys will be larger and wider. The Tyres from the 15 Inch Steel Wheels will not fit.

I think Alloys make the Car look nicer.
Downside is sometimes a harder ride and price of Tyres.

Strictly speaking if you change the Wheels from what they left the Factory with, you should inform your Insurance.

Enjoy your new Car !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for the welcome and the info.
Just looking at the only kia ceed15 inch alloys on their site it reads like they are suitable for the tyres already on as ive just noticed the info page for the car states the tyre size is 195/65 R15 which is what the alloys are suitable for.
Im trying to haggle with the garage to add alloys on although im a bit concerned they'll be just generic ones rather than kia and as the garage theyre coming from isnt open yet its all over the phone and a bit up in the air until the 8th when they open. I was thinking of trying to get a price drop so i could buy alloys hence the question about sizes but on phone they cant do any lower ....

·
Registered
502 Posts
Walk away.

There are plenty of Ceeds on the market and most have alloys as standard. Only poverty models have steels and they will be missing lots of other kit we have become accustomed to.

IMHO buying a car that I cannot see is a recipe for disaster. You are relying on the honesty of the salesman and we all know how honest (not) they are. Add to that Arnold Clark has a poor reputation for customer satisfaction so i can only guess you will be entering a world of shit.

Since its a distance sale simply cancel it, wait a week for local garages to open and find the car you want and doing a deal face to face (2 metres away) should get you a better deal.

If its a Ceed you really want check the service history, anything other than a genuine Kia dealer history with all the receipts walk away, you will possibly have issues getting warranty work carried out.

·
Registered
395 Posts
What Year is the new Car?

Very likely to have Tyre Pressure Sensors which adds to your problems.
If the Car is newer than 2012, the Sensor have to work for MOT

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you've not paid yet, look around for a Ceed with alloys as they seem to be high on your wish list. Much easier to get what you want in the first place rather than try and change it later.
The point about informing the insurance company is also a valid point. I fitted alloy wheels (genuine Ford ones) to a Cmax some years back and never thought to inform my insurance company, didn't realise that I should. Fast forward a couple of years and someone ran into me whilst I was stationary so not my fault but the insurance assessor picked up on the fact that my car had alloys on a spec that had trims. Didn't affect the claim, not that any of the wheels were damaged but the insurance company upped my premium and even backdated it. Lesson learnt.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Looks OK to me. The Wheels look alright too.
It is the entry level Model, so does not have some advanced features but seems to have pretty much all you would need.
You would need to go older or higher mileage for a higher spec at the same sort of price.

Good point above about the Service History.

Closer to home and better Spec/Engine but a Year older

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
I would also be careful. As some dealers moving a car from branch to branch, take it as a sale. NOT as we think just to look at it.
So check the T/C on any payments you make and if they are refundable if you do not purchase.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The low mileage was one of the things that attracted me to it. Apart from the no alloys im happy with it on the face of it but i want to get them if i can.

Ive made no payment other than 90 pounds to have it brought to my local arnold clarkes

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had a 2015 Cee'd "3" for thee years; recently p/xed it for a Niro. The alloys on my car took 205/55x16 tyres. The steel-wheeled car I believe uses 195/65x15 tyres. Fortunately the rolling radius of both these tyres is almost the same, so no changes to the speedometer gearing will be required. (The difference is 0.4% which is negligible in real terms).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Went for a different car although another ceed with alloys etc. Cant wait ....

Coming down from another dealership so should be in a week or so

1 - 12 of 12 Posts