Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

so I have a 2016 Kia Ceed GT-Line and found a crack in my windscreen. So at first I was expecting there to be an impact point and it to be just one of those things but upon having the windscreen removed I found that something had burnt through the bonding of the windscreen causing the crack with rust on the inside of the bond.

I had emailed Customer Services and I was told the windscreen is no longer covered under warranty which may be the case if I was trying to claim for an impact mark but for something to burn through the bond and cause a crack? Seems a bit ridiculous from Kia since they are happy to take our money for the car but as soon as anything goes wrong they try and say it was caused by something else.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
It does look as though the windscreen has failed for reasons not connected with impact. Can you get a report from whoever replaced it? Difficult to tell from the pix but could it be that the connections for the heated part of the windscreen have caused the burning?

Presume that your insurance has covered teh replacement so you have paid only a modest excess and this will not affect your NCB - are you that bothered?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does look as though the windscreen has failed for reasons not connected with impact. Can you get a report from whoever replaced it? Difficult to tell from the pix but could it be that the connections for the heated part of the windscreen have caused the burning?

Presume that your insurance has covered teh replacement so you have paid only a modest excess and this will not affect your NCB - are you that bothered?
They’re not allowed to do reports on things like this but he did show me what was found obviously since the crack was on the inside of glass rather than on the surface.

that’s correct, insurance excess was £80 which is still a fair amount considering it is a defect with the glass.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Have you tried talking to your local dealer? Talk to the service manager and see what they say. I think you'll do well to get the £80 back but I'd be concerned about an ongoing issue.
You can clearly see an issue on the photos, I agree with Turnup, it looks like the heated windscreen connection. Maybe with the new screen the problem will be gone but with that much heat build up showing, I'd be concerned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try and speak to the Service Manager at the local branch. If it cracks again I’ll take it back to Kia but probably to be told it’s not genuine glass so they won’t cover anything again.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thats one thing I dont like about insurance for glass.

Had a new windscreen once and it was not replaced with OEM screen so did not have a tint across the top three inches of screen and whole screen was not tinted as the OEM screen.

When queried was told they don't guarantee an OEM replacement, have to have whatever is in stock and available.

That said, at least it is covered and cheaper than having to pay full cost.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Hi Ben

We're sorry to see your disappointment with the windscreen claim. We can't accept or comment on evidence posted here but would like to review the findings of the dealer. Could you please PM us with the registration so we can locate the original case.

Kia Customer Service
0333 202 2990

Visit https://www.kia.com/uk/
Follow https://twitter.com/KiaUK
Join in www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk
Watch www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk

Customer Service opening hours:

Monday to Friday: 08:30 - 19:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 13:00
Sunday: Closed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,

thanks for replying. This case was never presented to the dealer. Until the windscreen was out I thought this was just a normal impact crack or a stress crack. I didn’t fancy driving to the dealer with no windscreen :)

I had emailed images to customer services and I was told Kia wouldn’t cover anything as it was out of the 3 months or 1,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I spoke to the Service Manager in the local branch and he said that it looks like something has happened on the front of the windscreen despite there being no crack on the surface or impact mark and the screen still being smooth to touch. He said they would say the same as Kia did, 3 months or 1,000 mile warranty. And all he can say is they would cross the bridge of if it happened again when it happened and to book my car in for a health check.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Hi Ben

Sorry, we thought the case was closed as we received no PM. Due to this not being presented to a dealer, it's not an outcome we can retrospectively overturn. We would need the car presented in its failed state and a defect identified by the Kia technician to be able to investigate. As this part was removed outside Kia, the cracked glass would remain an insurance claim.

KCS

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi,
Thanks but I am not going to present a windscreen with what I believed at the time was a crack from a stone chip to a dealer? They would then charge me their £125 investigation fee.

·
Super Moderator
3,145 Posts
Hi,
Thanks but I am not going to present a windscreen with what I believed at the time was a crack from a stone chip to a dealer? They would then charge me their £125 investigation fee.
But once you had seen the removed windscreen, you could have asked to keep it to allow a kia dealer to view it.

Hindsight is great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But once you had seen the removed windscreen, you could have asked to keep it to allow a kia dealer to view it.

Hindsight is great.
With the nearest Kia dealer 25 miles away it isn’t safe to carry around a huge piece of glass in the car hence why I took images showing the Kia stickers and imprints on the glass to show it was genuine glass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts