Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a Kia Ceed 1.6 diesel, 2007, which has done 22,000 miles, they are now telling me on my yearly service that the discs need replacing, is this normal? I believe discs should last a lot longer than this.

The 7 year warranty does not cover this, however I firmly believe that discs should last longer than this, they are telling me its down to my driving style !!!!!!!!!

Any views on this would be appreciated,

·
Registered
94 Posts
Without knowing exactly why they require replacing its difficult to say.

If for instance you drive rapidly and need to brake for almost every bend or curve than that's one scenario.

Another maybe you hardly ever use the brakes at all so that surface rust is never removed effectivelyresulting in quite deep rust holes.

Or you may sit at junctions, traffic lights or other stops holding the car only with the foot brakethis causes local cooling where the pads make contact and can warp the discs.

So ask your garage why they need to be replaced and then it maybe possible to make an assessment.

·
Registered
662 Posts
ask for the disc thickness measurements and then ask to see the workshop manual for the minimum thickness its now usual for a set of disc to last until the car requires its second set of pads as a general rule they used to last a lot lot longer when asbestos was allowed to be used if the pads have worn down to the metal and scored the discs then this may be why they need replacing

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry just catching up with everything at present..............
Don't be tempted to use non discript pads and disc's.
Quality will outlast and outperfom all your cheapies.
Go for a good name:
Mintex,Ferodo,Pagid,Apec are considered by the insiders as the quality end of the market place.
Do your home work ask questions, as to minimum thickness on vented disc's check they have worn evenly, if you have a lazy caliper you will end up with issues and appaling brakes !!!! what ever you fit.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
226 Posts
One other thing to consider...is that the dealer may be saying that the disks need replacing now even though they are above the minimum thickness because based on the current wear rate (assuming you drive the same) they will need replacing BEFORE your next service (I believe this to be quite a common approach).
It would be interesting to know how much they charge for the fitting disks and pads as we're all going to end up buying them sooner or later. However in my experience 22K miles is way to low. The norm is 45-50K miles on average, so the advice from a previous poster to get the thickness measured and compare to the manual is good advice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This really does depend on driving style, if you have an automatic and drive it around town a lot then 22k is quite good. If you do a lot of motorway miles 80k is more than achievable.

Worth remembering that discs and pads are not included under the warranty and as such you can upgrade them to 'proper' parts (EBC / Brembo) without affecting your warranty.i

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ladies & Gentlemen Please Note
Bear in mind this point................
Providing the replacement item you fit to your car is: (To quote the the legislation)
(1)Is of merchantable quality.
(2)Is fit for purpose.
The manufacturer will have to uphold any warranty claim placed up on them,providing the fault is deemed within the scope of its warranty.
However brakes are considered a part that are subject to wear & dependant on:
(1) The driver
(2) The driving conditions:
Premature failure will normally be met with a contribution toward the repair, if and only if the failure is deemed a manufacturing fault.
Please note that the manufacturer, assembles a big box of bits and the end product is your car, they do make anything themselves, they buy it all in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Had all four discs changed under warranty as they were showing excessive runout at 9k miles. No prolems from the dealer with this. They were happy to help. I think KIA may have had a bad batch around the 2008 models.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts