Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i parked my car up yesterday and locked my car. When i returned the driver door wouldnt open. I climbed throught the passenger seat and took it to my local kia garage. I got a rental car and later that day they rang me to say they had managed to open it somehow. Anyway i went there to see what the cause was andthey showed me that the whole door loop with all the wires is completly cut write down the middle. Has anybody heard of this before or has this happened to anyone as there saying it was vandalism due to the fact its 3 months old and still in warranty? and will be a whole rewire?Any posts would be helpful thanks

·
Registered
536 Posts
So the door was locked and they are saying that someone got in, took away the door panel and slashed all the wires in your door? Then put it back together and left without trace? Hummm just going to go scratch my head a little. Or is the loop under the car? If so it may have been some punk trying to steal your motor!Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is there any evidence of paintwork damage to the front wing trailing edge and the door panel leading edge ?
Your comments concerned me enough to have a close look at my own Ceed.
There is enough clearance between the panels to get a hacksaw blade or 'saw wire' in there but not any other type of larger cutting tool.
The angle that the loop drops from the inner panel to the door would not allow a clean cut but I suppose one could have a very ragged, and angled one.
What thief is going to spend time hacking through a cable loom in a public car park.

I wonder if your dealers ' magic trick' to open the door was cutting the loom ?, but not without leaving the evidence behind for you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there
Am really interested in your post as I have had exactly the same problem this morning. For the last 2 days my central locking has broken and intermittently the doors will lock and unlock, the door key will work and it's all been all over the place. I took it to the kia garage this morning and they phoned me back saying the loom wires had been cut with a saw or a knife from the inside! This is impossible as noone else has access. They said it can't be mended under warranty as it is vandalism. But it is not vandalism as the car has not been unattended.

The garage are sending reports to kia head office and your link.

i wandered what the outcome of your situation was?

did the warranty or insurers pay?

please get back to me urgently if you can,

thanks

·
Registered
536 Posts
If its the loom between the car and door (hinge area) then I retract my earlier comment. I can see it being incredibly easy to slide a blade between the door and front wing to cut the wires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks for your reply.yes it is the loom between the door and the hinge.
but why would anyone want to get a blade in there?
at least i can tell them that it could have been done from the outside. thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. This sounds interesting. Can you explain more? Is it a recognised fault? Is it under warranty then?What exactly shall I explain to the Kia garage? Is there anamefor this part?
Please let me know asap if you can answer any of my questions as I don't know a thing about cars and don't want to be taken for a ride by mechanics' spiel!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi

Just before xmas, one morning after a heavy frost the drivers door on my brand new C'eed failed to open.

All other doors worked fine and I was convinced something was wrong. It wasn't just frozen shut.

I popped into the Kia dealer down the road from me and they initially said "oh, it's just frozen shut".

After trying to open it with a heat gun etc, they then agreed with me there was a problem. They checked the Kia database and identified that there is a known fault with the master controller for the electronic latch mechanism on the Cee'd drivers doors. They told me there is a modified part to replace this and ordered one in.

By the way, the drivers door did eventually open again later that same day so it might well have been temperature related that caused the failure to show itself.

They got the new modified part in for me and they have now fitted it.

There was no mention of any wires showing signs of damaged on mine.

Edited by: micman

·
Registered
536 Posts
That's an unrelated fault that no longer exists on the newer cars. I can assume its down to malicious damage or there is a simple way to steal the car using this method. I remeber hearing ( and later saw it proved) that the BMW 318's of the late 80's/early 90's could be opened by clipping a wire on the alternator from below, and connecting it to a 9v battery and smashing the drivers side indicator and connecting the positive side of the battery to the bulb wire. Sure enough the central locking would open, very slowly but still.

·
Registered
7 Posts
micman said:
Hi

Just before xmas, one morning after a heavy frost the drivers door on my brand new C'eed failed to open.

All other doors worked fine and I was convinced something was wrong. It wasn't just frozen shut.

I popped into the Kia dealer down the road from me and they initially said "oh, it's just frozen shut".

After trying to open it with a heat gun etc, they then agreed with me there was a problem. They checked the Kia database and identified that there is a known fault with the master controller for the electronic latch mechanism on the Cee'd drivers doors. They told me there is a modified part to replace this and ordered one in.

By the way, the drivers door did eventually open again later that same day so it might well have been temperature related that caused the failure to show itself.

They got the new modified part in for me and they have now fitted it.

There was no mention of any wires showing signs of damaged on mine.

This has happened to me last two mornings. Had to go in through passenger door. Asyou say, later on in the day, when the temperature had crept up, the door opened okay. Think I'll pop into my dealer on way home to speak to them about it (Kia C'eed VR-7 2011)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there

I can't get into the driver's door of my new Ceed this morning either. I climbed across and even after 20 minutes of driving and heaters on full blast it will not budge from the inside or outside (all the other doors are fine)

Dealership told me its probably frozen but -3 is really not that cold or unusual. In 30 years of driving, in all conditions, I have never had a car door frozen to the extent that you can't open it. In my view a car that you can't safely drive every time the temperature drops it's not fit for purpose.

As a matter of interest, is it legal/safe to climb over and drive a car that you can't get out of quickly if there is an emergency?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Many thanks - RAC came and whilst the door now opens, its clear this is not just about cold weather.

I have spoken to the dealers and booked it in for their earliest appointment (Wednesday). I did ask that as it is a known fault they order the parts in advance, but they claim they cannot do this - nor do they have a courtesy car available - so I will have to re-book to get the problem sorted.

I have to say I'm not particularly impressed by KIA so far

·
Registered
226 Posts
You cant order parts for things in advance unless you know what your ordering. They wont know that until theyve looked, determined the cause, got the chassis number etc. This seems to be the way the industry is going.
Back in the day they would have the spares for known issues kicking around, but know its all about cost.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi nmb,

Sounds like you have the same issue I had. They fitted a new modified part, which apparently only effects the master electronic door release on the drivers door.

Since they changed mine I have had no problems whatsoever - the last two mornings in heavy frost have been just fine.

Hope they fix it for you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Many thanks - it wouldn't open again this morning but it's booked infor repairtomorrow and theyhave agreed to order the part in advance so they can fix it while I wait. Hope it works as I think I frightenedmy children with my language this morning!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had a new card and door lock fitted under warranty as the drivers door wouldnt open after cold nights.at first I thought it was just frozen but the nights weren't that cold. I live in coventry. Never too hot never too cold never too anything!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts