Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just bought my first KIA and I would like to know when should the timing belt be replaced in this model? The car has now around 142000km and I bought it from a reseller which does not have the information when it was replaced last time.

I tried to search for it at different sources without success as it was only mainly mentioning a timing chain which is not the reality of my car.

Thanks in advance for any support given.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Welcome to the Forum,

The 1.6 Diesel does have a Timing Chain. It does not have a Timing Belt.

It does have a Rubber Serpentine Belt for the Alternator, Air Conditioning and Water Pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for your quick feedback mcsport. It makes much more sense for me now and that explains why everywhere I searched it was mainly referring to timing chain but I was seeing a rubber belt on the motor of my car ;).

And by the way which is the cadence on which this serpentine belt must be replaced in this model? It is also my understanding that if there is a problem or if by some reason it breaks the damage is not so serious as with a timing belt right?

·
Registered
552 Posts
There is no need to replace unless you or Mechanic see problems with cracking or splitting.
My old 2008 Ceed 1.6 Diesel has the original Belt at 320,000 KM.

Snapped Timing Belt. Usually big problems with Pistons and Valves.
Snapped Serpentine Belt. Cannot drive Car but would be very unlikely to cause any damage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to know. Thank you for the support and clarification. Let me know in case you visit Évora - Portugal someday and I'll buy you a beer 🍻.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Snapped Timing Belt. Usually big problems with Pistons and Valves.
Snapped Serpentine Belt. Cannot drive Car but would be very unlikely to cause any damage.
Work colleague had "serpentine" belt break on his Audi 80. Some fragments found their under the cam belt cover and wrecked that. Bottom line was bent valves etc.

So might be unlikely but does happen.

He had the cam belt break on his next car as well but with no damage that time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts