Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Yesterday I've noticed my Kia Ceed is leaking water and what looks like a small portion of oil due to the marks on the floor. I checked both the measures available on the top of the motor and both are at maximum level, so I guess is a different type of oil that it is not reacheble to check the level. Any idea on which type of oil it may be leaking and how dangerous it is if I drive with it like it? I'll try to add some photos of it.

Thank you.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Water can only come from the Cooling, Windscreen Washer or Condensation from the Air Conditioning System.
It is quite normal to have water under the Car if you have been using the AC. How is the Weather in Evora? Cold in the UK Today :(

You need to try and see where the Oil is coming from.

A problem one of our Members had was a worn Pipe at the bottom of the Intercooler (Small Radiator next to the normal radiator)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice weather here, around 20ºC so no need for AC yet ;). The water in this case is coming from the cooling system, when I add more water it starts to drip again.

The oil I'll need to check with the mechanic as I have not enough knowledge, my question was more related if in case the oil it is leaking is not the engine oil if it could be dangerous to drive the car in this condition? What would be the worst thing that could happen? As at least the engine oil is at maximum level from that perspective there is no problem to drive with it as it is.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Your decision really.
A small Engine Oil Leak is unlikely to cause problems.
I think there is 0.5 Litre between Min and Max. Just keep any eye on the level and top up if needed.

The Water loss is probably more urgent to get checked than the Oil.
Can you see where the Water is leaking from?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Could be brake fluid - if so then rather dangerous to drive

Could be Clutch fluid (if yours has a hydraulic clutch)

Could be power steering fluid (if your has hydraulic power steering) - again could be dangerous

Could be gearbox oil

Lots of oily bits in a motor car.

Engine oil has a distinctive smell.

Gearbox oil has a similar but dofferent smell

Hydraulic fluids smell diferent again or are odourless.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had a oil leak similar to yours it was the bottom hose on the inter cooler as already noted, the jubilee clip had rotted away.
Water could be the water pump on the way out, start the car let it warm up and check it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts