Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Kia Cee'd 3 crdi 1.6. I have 2 issues with the car but my main one is first start up from cold it's a bl**dy nightmare to start. I get in, turn the ignition and wait for the glow plug light to go out, turn the key. It turns over fine - but that's it !!!!! It just turns over and over and over, it does fire eventually but it seems to take forever. It was only serviced about 6k miles ago? Once it's started it's fine no issues? I'm told that there could be an injector "bleeding off" causing a loss in pressure on the common tail but I've no idea what that actually means?
Any help/info or advice appreciated.

·
Registered
493 Posts
First thing, check your battery.

On common rail systems if the battery doesn't spin the starter motor quickly enough the fuel pump will take longer to create the pressure required to crack the injectors off and fire the engine up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, right I didn't realise? It seems to turn the engine over okay - that said I did wonder if the battery wasn't at its best as it has turned over slow on a couple of occasions? I assume it's the original as well?
Any recommendations for a new battery?
Cheers

·
Registered
439 Posts
Glow plugs, get them checked out. I had a Frontera which was a pig to start in the winter, 3 glow plugs were duff.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If it's just started doing it, it could be the cold weather having an effect. My 1.4 crdi venga takes ages to spin over when it is cold, after that it's fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, cheers for reply. In all honesty it's been several weeks now really. You know when you get a new car and you kind of have to get used to its shall I say little quirks etc, I just thought it may of been me perhaps expecting a bit of a quicker start up, not that I'm inpatient but instant would be good!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Before my present car, I had a Fiat diesel. It had an electric fuel pump to pressurise the common rail, which took a little longer to get up to pressure than the glowplug light took to go out. If I turned the starter over too soon it turned over for ages, but if the light went out, and I left it for a couple of seconds, it would then start instantly. Maybe the same thing happening with your car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to interrupt the conversation

Myself going to buy a kia soon,
I have a quesyion that maybe others have now, doesn't all that come under the 7 year warranty?

Asking that, because the 7 years warranty was one of the major thing for me to go for a kia

1 - 10 of 10 Posts