Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks

I recently returned 2, 21 plate mild hybrid kia sportages due to issues with engine management light continuously coming on and after some research discovered that the car had some potential issues i'd rather avoid.

I now have my eye on a 21 plate kia ceed mild hybrid and my question is does anyone know of any potential issues with this car ? I do a lot of travelling for work so I need a reliable motor and intend on having this car for the next 4/5 years. Any info would be great.

·
Registered
Ceed Diesel Sportswagon MHEV
35 Posts
Hi Smooz..

Had my 21 plate Mild Hybrid just over a year, and 42K miles in, all seems ok-ish...

I say 'ish' as it had a recall for a software update for the hybrid, and since then the sailing mode, where the car used to disengage the gearbox and turn the engine off when coasting, doesn't work anymore. The car does still go into sailing mode, but now it disengages the gearbox and goes on tick-over every time.

Car is due another service at some point soon (joys of leased car - book service and done 2k+ before it gets into dealers) and is being reloaded to see if that cures it apparently. Will wait and see on that one..

Overall, MPG is not as good as I expected, 55mpg average over a year, but car mostly sat at 70 on the motorway. Having said that, if I drive like Miss Daisy is onboard, it will return 70+, but that don't happen too often..

Had to have a full set of tyres at 35K, as the fronts were on limit, but the backs became stepped on the inside. I questioned it, but had a look when the car was up on ramp, and I could see what the guy was on about. He thinks its from the extra weight of the batteries, so something to keep an eye on..

Adblue usage seems good. Never moved for first 25k miles. Put in 9 ltrs so far, and showing 3/4 of a tank.

Overall happy with it, but not sure if company will get me another on in 2 years time. Have to see what happens then..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello folks

I recently returned 2, 21 plate mild hybrid kia sportages due to issues with engine management light continuously coming on and after some research discovered that the car had some potential issues i'd rather avoid.

I now have my eye on a 21 plate kia ceed mild hybrid and my question is does anyone know of any potential issues with this car ? I do a lot of travelling for work so I need a reliable motor and intend on having this car for the next 4/5 years. Any info would be great.
Same engine/hybrid system so same issues I would have thought.

I have the older non hybrid Ceed and love it - but the newer one with the hybrid and belt tensioner issues I wouldn't buy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

the sailing mode, where the car used to disengage the gearbox and turn the engine off when coasting, doesn't work anymore.
Have you tried this with the AC turned off? Mine goes to tick over with AC on (assuming it's to do with the AC compressor needing the engine to to run) and with the AC off it turns the engine off during sailing mode.

Just a thought as I didn't realise this for a while after having my MHEV Ceed.

Let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
Ceed Diesel Sportswagon MHEV
35 Posts
Hi,
Have you tried this with the AC turned off? Mine goes to tick over with AC on (assuming it's to do with the AC compressor needing the engine to to run) and with the AC off it turns the engine off during sailing mode.

Just a thought as I didn't realise this for a while after having my MHEV Ceed.

Let me know how you get on.
Well, turns out my car has suffered the Hybrid Tensioner Pulley failure, and is currently waiting in a carpark of similar problem cars at the local dealers...
From what I can read on here, the software update was to try and stop this from happening by adjusting the car to go onto tick-over rather than turn off when sailing. Don't looked like it has worked...
Will be interesting as to when it will be returned to me, and my company are not happy that the lease company will not help out by supplying another car, whilst still having to pay lease on a car that is undriveable...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to hear that! I recently had a 71 plate Sportage with the same engine as our Ceeds and that broke down with the same issue after just 2000 miles. The RAC guy even said "let me guess, it's done around 2000 miles?". When I picked my Ceed up today from having the software update, there were 11 Sportages awaiting the hybrid tensioner repair!

RAC guy also mentioned that the Ceed doesn't really suffer with the issue, turns out they can do as your car is living proof!

I hope you get in a courtesy soon and your car gets repaired ASAP!

My local dealership said they were being giving September as delivery timeline for the new parts to start arriving. It's an engine out job apparently!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts