Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Kia Ceed 2013 Brake noise

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  buaan 
#1 ·
For the 3rd time we have reported noise from the offside front brake. THis has happened on seperate occasions while descending steep hills. It sounds like wornout brake pads and metal to metal contact . THe pads on our car are new and where replaced when the noise first occurred. We were told it was a stone stuck in the brake caliper first time, the second time no mention of what caused the noise. The third event occured while descending a long steep hill in Devon. At first no noise , shorlty after the metal on metal noise started getting extremely loud, enough to cause us to stop half way down the hill to avoid any damage. 20 minutes later we took the decision to drive on,. The noise had gone. Since then several days of driving the noise has so far not returned and the 400+ miled return journey was uneventful. Kia are at a loss to explain what happens.
what is really going on with KIa Ceed's offside front brakes? Kia seem unconvinced nothing is wrong. As an experienced trials and development driver I'm not comvinced.

#2 ·
Hi & Welcome. Moved from "How To" as this is a query & not a guide on how to fix a issue.

Can you provide more details on the car. Servicing, mileage model etc.

How hot was the wheel when you stopped?
Do you ride the brake when descending hills? Or do you use engine braking to assist?

Clearly a stone stuck in the pads would leave scoring on the disk. So was the disk replaced 1st time?
What did they do the 2nd time?

If brakes are getting too hot then it could be affecting bearings.

#3 ·
No I don't ride the brakes, use them only when neccessary prefering low ratio gears and engine assist . Milage is 88715 serviced every year from new. Discs have not been replaced as not scored. If as you suggest , its a bearing problem ,why did it not happed on the 400 mile journey back with out stopping. In my humble opion there is a fault in the design of the brake system like inferrior materials. By the way this car has had 2 new clutches , the first at 44,000 and the second at 63. In all my years of driving I never had a clutch problem and our volvo s40 had only one clutch in 211354 miles

#4 ·
TBH. This is the 1st time I have heard of this issue.

If the disk was not replaced then I would say it was not a stone stuck in the pad, as that would score the disk & the noise would be there all the time, not just when going down hill.
If brake is overheating descending a hill, then it could cause the bearing to loosen, which when wheel cools down would tighten up again.. Which is not going to happen on a normal trip.
I would find a steep hill, when it makes the noise, stop and feel the wheel and compare it to the others, if you are not using the brakes much, then wheel will not be that hot. Give it a good shake & see if anything is amiss. As it is possible it is not the brakes, but something else in the drive train.

If it was inferior materials then it would happen more often, not just down hills & you would be changing pads & disks very quickly.

#5 ·
I've had this noise (it really is a horrendous noise!) on a 2013 Ceed SW. Only ever while braking on a steep hill, certain hills would trigger it quite predictably but several garages couldn't reproduce or explain the problem! It was most disconcerting when it happened driving over the Alps :D

I think it was related to lipping on the discs as replacing the discs resolved the issue. A few years later exactly the same thing happened again so I decided to change the discs myself - there was an obvious rusty lip and the whole edge of the disc was very corroded. After replacing these and lubing up the sliding pins (pads obv replaced too, but they still had some life left in them) they have been fine since. I wonder if certain conditions can result on the pads moving ever so slightly onto the rusty lip on the disc?

#6 ·
what is really going on with KIa Ceed's offside front brakes?
I recommend the second paragraph from 'dave99' in post #5. While his cure may not answer your question, at least it provides a means to fix the problem that you have encountered.

I have a difficulty with your hypothesis though,
(In my humble opion there is a fault in the design of the brake system like inferrior materials.)
in as much as why haven't we heard lots of similar complaints from other Ceed owners? It was a big-selling model so I'm sure many hundreds of thousands of miles have been racked up in those cars.

In respect of both clutches and brake shoes/pads, the use of asbestos in their construction was banned some years ago and since then, brakes and clutch friction components seem to have had shorter life spans. To get the very best brake pads today means paying a higher price than the budget models sell for but surely that is worth it?

#7 ·
THis has happened on seperate occasions while descending steep hills. It sounds like wornout brake pads and metal to metal contact .
Second time this has happened to me also. I found it was the brake pad spring clips expanding when hot and touching the disc, it isn't dangerous or necessarily bad just really annoying and embarrassing. I replaced my discs and pads with genuine ones around 50k miles (I like in Yorkshire, lots of hills), not long after it started again on the nearside front and I had to remove the pads and fill down the brake shims/spring clips and it stopped. It's just started doing it again on the nearside front again at 90k miles so I'll have to pull the pads out and make more room, I'll report back if it fixes the problem as I'll try to do this Saturday.

#8 ·
This scrapping noise occurred for a fourth time while travelling down hill behind a slow moving motorcycle. Even when the brakes weren't applied the noise continued. and did so until the car was beginning to driving up the other side of the valley. It stopped straight away yet the car had not stopped. It would appear that something is loose when hot falling, back once the car starts up hill. If it is a spring exspanding it would surely leave scrap marks on the disc, there are no makrs on my disc's.Again over 1200 miles has been driven up and down hill with out reoccurance My opinion is it's a design fault Does it occur on the more recent models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.