Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the first major issue with my Kia Ceed Auto. When I entered the car using my 'smart key' and tried to start the engine as normal ....a brief display said something about the key but nothing happened. All of the electrics are now 'dead', no lights no windows, no radio and of course no engine start. On advice from dealer (Arnold Clark) I changed the key battery ...no change. They have now suggested that I have it towed to their garage at my expense, but it's an automatic and I cannot get it out of PARK as I have no electrics ....any advice out there please?
Edited by: Suddy

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Hi Martin, anything in the handbook about freeing the lever? My Subaru has a small rubber grommet that can be removed, then a lever pushed down to release the gear lever from P to N. Nothing like it on the Venga, so maybe not on yours. As the car is only two years old, I would contact KCS and get them to put a squib up AC, and tell them to recover the car and fix it under warranty. Very poor response from a dealer (but confirms some members experience of AC). Is there another Kia dealer near you who might be more helpful?

·
Registered
113 Posts
There is a small button next to the shifter on the console that will allow the shifter to be moved (page 5-29 in the manual) when the car is not powered; it even says "Shift Lock Release" on the button. Have you tried jumping your car? Battery is probably flat; a jump should get it started. Just be careful and read the manual on how to do a jump (page 6-4). The dealer will not pay for a tow since it is not clear if is a fault with the vehicle or an owner fault, i.e. leaving an interior light on and running the battery flat. My Ceed was a no start one morning; jumped it and drove it straight to the dealer who checked it over and said it was fine. Not had any problems since, so I figure I left something on and ran the battery flat.

·
Super Moderator
3,289 Posts
Suggest you check if the battery is flat (and if so put it on charge - using the correct charger if it is an AGM battery).

If auto suggest you lift the front onto a dolly so you have the front wheels off the ground when towing. (Green Flag or similar could do this.)

Not recommended that you bump start an auto!

·
Registered
971 Posts
One thing that must always work independently is the Warning system.
If you press the Red triangle and your hazards do not work it is a sure sign of battery related fault.
Your hand book advises correct procedures for your issues, I hope you know who you spoke to at AC so you can follow up with your feelings.
Good luck
Jeff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone for your information ...still no joy on starting so pretty sure it's a battery/electrical issue, also no sign of Hazards working either!!Nothing more I can do
Now waiting for a possible Recovery Truck on Monday as a first attempt at starting!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An Update ....battery was flat. Recovery Man with a booster battery ..... and it fired first time and everything came back to normal!!!!!Returned the car to Arnold Clark for a diagnostic check as requested to find out why it discharged.
Analysis - Apparently the electric doorlock(s) are the cause of the discharge and are to be changed under warranty!!! Has anyone heard of this? My car has been kept overnight, to make sure that the battery is fully charged, to be sure that I can survive until the parts can be fitted.
At least there appears to be a cause and solution.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Press the key fob onto the push starer and start it that way, this is probably what the display was telling you to do. I had it come up once and did that and it started ok, its been fine ever since.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sorry just read the other posts and relised you got this sorted out

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hello Martin the fault diagnoses has been very thorough in correction. the fault occurs usually on older cars when the locks do not quite make and caught between functions. Sometimes car alarm is set off or as in your case flattens battery. A Renault with flattening battery I looked at for some one that had been diagnosed and fitted with new alternator was in fact a rear door lock switch. I detected a feint high pitch coming from door. this was the drain on the locking system that in some cases triggers alarm.
Glad your dealer responding well you must have caught an individual on a bad week.
Jeff

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Hi Martin, glad you got it sorted - a downside of owning and auto is the difficulty of doing nything much, when the battery is flat. Door locks on Vengas seem to account for more problems than any other part of the car, and appear to be one of the few parts kept in stock!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Car now back home and I will be going through a few 'nervous' mornings till I recover my trust in the system once again, but so far all is well!!
!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
H Suddy,

I'm getting a sense of Deja Vu from this post - I have a 1.6 Petrol 4Tech DCT and I returned to the train station last month to find it wouldn't start - I got a warning on the dashboard about the key battery being low. The battery was flat, and the RAC man was able to jump start it and get me home, where I replaced the battery under warranty because it was only 2 months old.

I suspect I may have suffered form the same issue as you - electric doorlock discharge. Is this a known issue by Kia?

Thanks

Jon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't tell you how much it is a 'known problem' ...all I can say is my Kia Agent diagnosed the problem and then replaced both front door locks under warranty without quibble.No further issues .....so must assume that this is a fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there . Having a problem with my kia ceed2 1.6 petrol
Poor starting
Changed the battery still doing it
Changed all 4 sparks still same thing. Any idea what could be ?
Did anyone have same problem ??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts