Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
KIA CEED 1,6 CRDI 2013
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all KIA owners!
Searched the forum but not really found much.

I own a CEED 1.6CRDI -13 and have some thoughts regarding the DPF cleaning, or more specifically the automatic regeneration the car does from time to time.

How often does the car start this process? I think my car does it very often but maybe it's normal?

I have been looking for signs and every time it does an automatic regeneration I have noted it. Has come to the conclusion that during the last 30 days, the car has completed three cycles of regeneration at approximately 220miles (350km) intervals as an average.
Every time it does, I take it out on the highway / country road and I drive for a while the process usually takes about 5-10min.

No warning lights are on. But is this normal that the active regeneration takes place so often or does it mean that the filter starts to get full?

What I look for when I notice that it does a regeneration is that the instantaneous consumption rises considerably, the meter for consumption does not go down to zero as it usually does with the engine brake, and another smell from the exhaust gases at id.

The odo is 93 000 miles (150 000km)

·
Registered
197 Posts
In over eight years with my Ceed I would say that every 250 miles is normal. However, I don't believe a full regen has ever completed in less than 15 minutes of driving at dual carriageway/motorway speeds. That's based on monitoring catalyst temperature while the regen takes place, with temperatures only returning to normal after about 17 minutes.

Maybe the time required is influenced by type of journey. My daily journeys are short (2 x 4.5 miles) and in the last year, due to Covid, my only longer journeys have been to complete a regen.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
2,406 Posts
I am surprised you haven't found much about DPF's on this forum, it's awash with threads about DPF issues.
To do a full regen the engine has to get up to full running temperature and the exhaust has to get hot. You then need to drive at 60mph(95kph) for 20 to 30 minutes. If a full regen isn't completed, the DPF clogs up quicker and will eventually fail.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
How often does the car start this process? I think my car does it very often but maybe it's normal?

I have been looking for signs and every time it does an automatic regeneration I have noted it. Has come to the conclusion that during the last 30 days, the car has completed three cycles of regeneration at approximately 220miles (350km) intervals as an average.
Our Ceed CRDi did a regen every 250 miles for the 5 years we owned the car.

At 60 mph on the motorway (about 1900 rpm) it would take about 15 miles/15 minutes to complete. Speed up to 70 mph and 2220 rpm and the regen would take slightly longer (both distance and time). Hardly surprising since the Kia recommendation was between 1500 and 2000 rpm.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This is something I'm interested and have setup via a ODB BT adapter and a tablet that runs Torque Pro that I keep in the car.

I captured a re-gen this week (below) and what I've noticed is that the DPF temp (EGTB1S2) exceeds 600C and the EGR closes, although opens on full throttle. The hot exhaust burnt smell is a give away and the instantaneous MPG that roughly halves for 10 minutes.

Normal exhaust temps are roughly 350C on normal fast A or motorways and sub 250C at 30/40 urban roads.

My regens are roughly every 250 miles in line with others here.

·
Registered
KIA CEED 1,6 CRDI 2013
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is something I'm interested and have setup via a ODB BT adapter and a tablet that runs Torque Pro that I keep in the car.

I captured a re-gen this week (below) and what I've noticed is that the DPF temp (EGTB1S2) exceeds 600C and the EGR closes, although opens on full throttle. The hot exhaust burnt smell is a give away and the instantaneous MPG that roughly halves for 10 minutes.

Normal exhaust temps are roughly 350C on normal fast A or motorways and sub 250C at 30/40 urban roads.

My regens are roughly every 250 miles in line with others here.

View attachment 10156
Wow. Thank you so much for this information!!!
Really good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts