Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
I have a 2016 1.4crdi Kia Ceed 37000 miles, that has started with starting problems, especially in this cold weather.
It takes approximately 30 seconds to start with constant cranking. When started it runs fine, turn off and restarts first time. It's just the first attempt that it struggles with.
I've had it into local garage, they had it for 3 days and couldn't find the fault. I did mention the glow plugs but these weren't changed as I was told with these modern direct injection engines, glow plugs dont actually really need to be there. A bit sceptical about that comment to be honest.
As it's a 2016 model I'm inclined to take it to my local Kia dealer and let them have a look. Still within the 7 years warranty so hopefully the repair would be covered under that. I realise if it is glow plugs I'll need to pay for those to be replaced but if its a fuel feed issue/injector issue then that should be covered shouldn't it.

What's your views....

·
Registered
22 Posts
If it's taking that long to start even when temperatures are above freezing and it runs fine once started, do you think there is a loose connection in the fuel line letting in air to the fuel system near the fuel pump?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Hi Everyone
I have a 2016 1.4crdi Kia Ceed 37000 miles, that has started with starting problems, especially in this cold weather.
It takes approximately 30 seconds to start with constant cranking. When started it runs fine, turn off and restarts first time. It's just the first attempt that it struggles with.
I've had it into local garage, they had it for 3 days and couldn't find the fault. I did mention the glow plugs but these weren't changed as I was told with these modern direct injection engines, glow plugs dont actually really need to be there. A bit sceptical about that comment to be honest.
As it's a 2016 model I'm inclined to take it to my local Kia dealer and let them have a look. Still within the 7 years warranty so hopefully the repair would be covered under that. I realise if it is glow plugs I'll need to pay for those to be replaced but if its a fuel feed issue/injector issue then that should be covered shouldn't it.

What's your views....
Agree with your scepticism. AFAIK all diesels have glow plugs and I cannot imagine any manufacturer fitting unnecessary parts. Time to take it elsewhere.

Don't see why glow plugs would not be covered by the warranty so take it to a KIA dealer.

EDIT: Further thoughts. As you mentioned there are other possible causes for the behaviour you describe ( for eg: fuel pump(s) or NRV failure or air leak in fuel line or injector leaks)

Do you know what the garage has actually done?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Does your glow plug light illuminate when 'ign' switched 'on' (little yellow curly tail) ?
It may only be on for a second or two,but even when the light goes out - the glow plugs will still be working,the glow plug system stays live for a while after engine start to assist the cold engine to run smoothly and burn the fuel cleaner.Perhaps the mechanic is confused by the fact that the glow plug light goes out quickly and is assuming that the glow plugs stop working when the light goes out.When the glow plug light goes out it just signifies that you are ok to start the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts