Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems as if Kia can't fit a steering wheel properly and often their cars, as delivered, have wheels out of alignment.

My car was like this and unfortunately I didn't say anything until I'd clocked up a few miles by which point it was too late to get this done under warranty and I've had to pay £70 to get this sorted out.

Could the Admin put up a Sticky thread at the top of the forum about this so that new members know straight away when they buy a Kia, they have to make sure their car goes in a straight line and the steering wheel is on straight?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Good idea mines never gone in straight line since I've had it and my friends kias are all the same ! Must be just the manufactures little issues ? 

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is a common problem with new Kia`s. Usually a PROPER wheel alignment sorts it out. Sometimes it can be a wheel camber issue, both of which are warranty issues and easily sorted.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
eyebee said:
This is a common problem with new Kia`s. Usually a PROPER wheel alignment sorts it out. Sometimes it can be a wheel camber issue, both of which are warranty issues and easily sorted.

It's only covered by warranty if you discover it early enough.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting one, this. Took delivery of my Rio end of November last year. It's a contract hire car and a colleague has one identical. After a few months I noticed abnormal tyre wear on the inside shoulder of the front offside tyre. It was wearing at a horrendous rate, so bad that I reckoned it would be down to the carcass before the tyre was even half worn. My colleagues car was doing exactly the same. I don't hit potholes or kerbs. Contacted the main dealer and was told it wouldn't be covered by warranty as it was a tracking issue. Ended up costing over £70 to put it right. The car was never set up right in the first place. Not impressed.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keep a close eye on the wear now the tracking is done and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, we bought our first Kia car - a Rio. We have had it back to the garage we bought it from twice now and they cannot sort out the fault - pulling to the left! We bought the Rio on the personal recommendation of my brother, who bought one for his wife as an economical little run-about. We test drove one and liked it immediately. As we are both retired, we wanted an economic little run-about ourselves and the fuel consumption and low road tax particularly caught our eye before (diesel manual) before all the features like Air Con, etc.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Hi Cliff welcome to the forum. I too have a Rio diesel and its a great car. The problem you are having could be down to a warped tyre or a tracking wheel alignment issue. I would take it to a tyre centre who have a 4 wheel lazer alignment gauges. They should also tell you if the camber is within the tolerence. This will true the whole car up. If the problem is still persists I would swap both front wheels over and if it pulls the other way then its a tyre problem.
Any other issues please use the Rio section as you will get answers quicker, well usually.
Edited by: davy

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
davy said:
Hi Cliff welcome to the forum. I too have a Rio diesel and its a great car. The problem you are having could be down to a warped tyre or a tracking wheel alignment issue. I would take it to a tyre centre who have a 4 wheel lazer alignment gauges. They should also tell you if the camber is within the tolerence. This will true the whole car up. If the problem is still persists I would swap both front wheels over and if it pulls the other way then its a tyre problem.
Any other issues please use the Rio section as you will get answers quicker, well usually.

Cliff, if you do swap the wheels over, make sure the treads are not asymmetric, ie, have a set direction of rotation. If this is the case, you can only swap from front to back or vice a versa on the same side and you cannot swap sides with the wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts