Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good friend of mine has had a Kia Carens since it's launch.She needed a 5 door vehicle as her husband is a Guide Dog Owner.She has been very happy with the carup until now. Because the family travels a lot she wanted to get a top box fitted. Found a nice big one at Halfords but alas the fitting interferred with the operation of the rear door and the aerial had to be removed. Not a problem, she thought, I'll get one direct from Kia.

She ordered the 410 litre box with its fitting kit and waited for the fitting appointment.

She has just rung me to say thatthe Kia supplied box stopped her from opening the rear door, and yet again the aerial had to be removed.

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that Kia could produce a box which, when fitted, does not interfere with the operation of any other part of the vehicle?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Which carens?
The late shape carens with the aerial at the rear of roof?
If so theres a simple fix, all dealers should be aware, you need to modify the rubber insert in roof rails and drill a new locating hole to allow full size roof boxes to be fitted correctly

·
Registered
7 Posts
@Starkadder - on the new current shape Carens, the ariel is fairly flexible. Won't it just allow itself to be bent at an angle under the box?

@murphwwiz - I'll got a full size box that I want to fit to my Caren but like you said, they're are rubber strips in at the front of the roof-rail chanels. Can these be removed to allow the box to sit further forward on the car?

·
Registered
887 Posts
pixelpefekt said:
@murphwwiz - I'll got a full size box that I want to fit to my Caren but like you said, they're are rubber strips in at the front of the roof-rail chanels. Can these be removed to allow the box to sit further forward on the car?
The rubber needs to be cut shorter then a hole drilled each side for the locking pins in the rails to locate, dealers have a bulletin describing the work, and I've managed to get warranty to pay for it numerous times.

·
Registered
7 Posts
murphwiz said:
The rubber needs to be cut shorter then a hole drilled each side for the locking pins in the rails to locate, dealers have a bulletin describing the work, and I've managed to get warranty to pay for it numerous times.
Excuse my ignorance but can you tell me more about this. Can I take the car back to Kia (it's going in on Wednesday for a wee fix anyway) and get the new holes drilled in under warranty? I like the sounds of this if I can!...

·
Registered
887 Posts
Well I have successfully claimed a couple under warranty, depends on your dealer, ask them to fix for free as it is basically a design fault and theres a tech bulletin covering it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice one. Just spoke to the service manager at Kia Paisley and he's happy to undertake the work on the roof to enable the fitting of a full size roof box.

Thanks for the info murphwiz!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hm, doesn't sound too good, I thought I'd find a few more holes in the rails if I get around to cutting the rubber? Can the front plastic cover of the rails be removed to get out the rubber from that end?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts