Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to have a bash at replacing the alternator on my Carens as the incumbent part makes a dreadful rattling noise which gets steadily worse when all the lights and bells are on.
I'm presuming the rattle comes from the alternator andnot the power steering pump or water pump as there's no loss of associated fluids.

The alternator is situated at the top of the engine block, but so is the oil filter and that turned out to be a real pig of a job, so I wondered if there is anybody out there who can talk me through the process (there's nothing in my manual) and highlight any nasty bits to watch out for.

Thank you in advance

Edited by: marsie222

·
Registered
120 Posts
Firstly, remove the intercooler- the pipeclips can be difficult: I use a mole grip to compress the tangs and open them, I then leave them stuck fully openround a spraycan so they don't spring shut: it makes themeasy to get back in the grips for refitting
.Other than that, it's 2 nuts at the back, 2 bolts at the front, and 2 small rubber pipes to pull off, and then take offthe big engine cover, 4x 10mm bolts.

Next, remove the auxiliary drive belt, the one that drives the aircon and alternator. The tensioner for this is up above the main enginepulleyto the right. You need to put a 17mm spanner on the bolt in the centre of the tensionerpulley and push it up in a clockwise direction, the pulley will move up and you can then slip the belt off. This is what sets the belt tension, there's no adjustment at the alternator, it's fixed in position.

You can now simply undo the bolts that hold the alternator in and remove it, after removing the connections and unclipping thehoses from the vacuum-pump which is bolted to the back of thealternator: this is there because being a diesel there's nomanifold vacuum to drive a brake servo.

Incidentally, next time you do the oil filter, remove the coolant header tank: 4 bolts if I remember right, and only takes a couple of minutes: you can then stick your hand in and get a good grip on the filter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the information, though I haven't yet made an assault on the task in hand. The reason for this is that the rattling noise is difficult to locate and at £320 plus for a new alternator I want to be absolutely sure that I've targeted the right component.
As I mentioned before there isn't any loss of fluids from the cooling system or the power steering and presumaby if the noise was coming fromthe vacuum pump at the back of the alternator that would have an effect on the vehicle's braking power.

Does anyone know of any similar problems with rattling components and if so would they care to share their experiences?
Edited by: marsie222

·
Registered
120 Posts
Rattles are hard to track down.......

Given that the alternator is pretty easy to get to, despite it's looking as if it isn't, I'd be inclined to at least get the belt offso I could check for play in the bearings by giving the pulley a pull and a spin, and then start the engine to see if the rattle disappears when the alternators not turning: this will rule it in or out.

You can run the engine without the drive belt on, it drives the aircon pump, the pas pump,and the alternator...but don't try and drive it like this for obvious reasons!!

If it IS faulty, Nobody in their right mindpays £320 for a new alternator!
Every town has at least one place where they rebuild alternators and starter motors and if the alternatordoes turn out to befaulty they'd have it fixed for a LOT less!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts