Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to ask some questions about my recently acquired 2003 Carens (1.8 LX).

The temperature gauge seems to rise as normal, but stays slightly below the half-way point on the scale - is that normal, or hints that may be the thermostat may need replacing?

If it is, is the thermostat quite easily replace? I think I can see the housing, tracing the coolant hose from the radiator.

Also, think my IACV is playing up, will probably replace - aftermarket ones seem about £50, whereas OEM looks to be about the £150 mark - anybody experience of either or recommendations?

Lastly, I assume that they're OBD / OBDII compatible so would most generic code readers work? If so, any recommendations that people use?

·
Registered
476 Posts
As I said on the worldwide forum, wtf is an IACV?
Mark.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Supacabby said:
As I said on the worldwide forum, wtf is an IACV?
Mark.
Idle Air Control Valve.

It's the device that cars with pre electronic throttles (ie where the throttle is actually actuated by servo rather than a cable from the throttle pedal) - and even some of those still have IACVs / ICVs - that allows the ECU to have some control of throttle and idle speed, independent of the driver using the throttle pedal.

So often used to help when the engine is cold, and when driving between gear shifts. Engine ECUs can and often do things like richen the mixture, based on temperatures, loading (say when you turn on the air-con), but this has more of a bearing in stabilising idle, and throttle "opening" (I say that, as they kind of bypass the throttle plate) when moving.

You'll normally find that when a modern, FI, petrol car is moving, the idle speed is boosted slightly (you can see this with the throttle pedal down, or coasting in neutral), and will settle and drop to more normal idle speed when the car is stopped. That's not just done by increasing fuel mixture (like a choke would in the old days) it's done by things like IACVs, or electronic throttles.

edit: should have pointed out, on the Carens, at least on my 1.8 petrol, the IACV is a small-ish, black device, bolted to the rear / firewall side of the throttle housing, it has an multiplug going to it. Two 10mm bolts hold it to the throttle body (well they also have philips heads, and the one nearest the passenger side, really needs removing with a philips or posi-drive head, rather than a 10mm socket, because there's not quite enough room for a socket to go over it).

Edited by: Wongsky

·
Registered
476 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, glad it came from you not me, I'm a diesel man so had no idea!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts