Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I have recently acquired a Kia Carens 56 plate and so far i am very impressed especially seems i was test driving a Zafira and expected to buy that.
My question is quite simple. I have a switch ( 1 of 3, although one is blanked) to the right of the steering wheel and it has a icon of a front windscreen with a electrical sign going through it. In the manual it clearly states that this is the windscreen De-icer button (if fitted). There is a fuse in the internal fuse box for it and when pressed it lights up.
However I can not find anything on the internet about this and the garage I bought it from who are a Kia dealership, have said that no Kia's are fitted with heated front screens as far as they know. They also said that only Fords and Jaguars have it. Incidentally they were previously a Ford Dealership.
Does anyone know what is going on here and how can i prove that this is what should be fitted. I have noticed that there is no fine element running through the screen as there was on my Mondeo.
I think what has happened is maybe the screen got damaged and for whatever reason the heated screen was not replaced, probably the driver didn't have Fully comp cover and could not afford it.
Any thought would be very helpful.

Lee

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Look at the front screen closely and see if there is fine wavy lines on it between the laminates, if so then its heated, if none is present then no heated screen. Oh mind and wipe your greasy nose marks off the screen please. I hate a dirty screen.

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AsI mentioned in my post :)
"I have noticed that there is no fine element running through the screen as there was on my Mondeo."

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
oh sorry my mistake. Looks like there could have been a replacement screen fitted. Does the screen have your Vin number etched on it or a Kia service number. Thats one way to tell.

·
Registered
662 Posts
the heating element only runs under the wiperblade area and not the whole screen it to deice your wiperblades from the screen and provide a slightly quicker demist

·
Registered
476 Posts
Paul beat me to it by a minute, it's a simple wiper deicer & not a full heated screen!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sounds about right, all bit it, its a bit of a con showing the default button for Windscreen de-ice and as it says in the manual front Windscreen De-Icer and not wiper blade De-icer.

Thanks though
Just fitted some led under the doors to work as puddle lights, wired into door electrics look nice come on with sidelights go off when key is taken out the ignition perfect...but should have wired them into the interior courtesy light circuit, as otherwise soon as you go to get out of the car they go off DOH! :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
YOU ARE POSH there are no interior courtesy lights on my 2005 crdi unless i grow long arms to reach inside to turn interior light on manually 1 of my pet hates with my model

·
Registered
25 Posts
hotboxcharlie said:
YOU ARE POSH there are no interior courtesy lights on my 2005 crdi unless i grow long arms to reach inside to turn interior light on manually 1 of my pet hates with my model
Sounds like you've not got the interior light switch set correctly.

Mark

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I meant to say was that the puddle lights should stay on after the key is taken out, so you can see when you get out the car. If I wire them into the interior light circuit then they will go out after I lock the car and when I unlock the car they will come on. The same as the Interior lights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts