Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there does the 7 year warranty cover the same things on the last day as it does on the first day , or as the car ages the warranty covers less?

Am i right in thinking ( sorry if silly question i do not know much about cars) you have to have the car serviced as per manufactures guidelines for warranty to be valid, also are you able to get it serviced at a local garage and as long as they use genuine Kia parts your warranty will stay valid ?

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
In answer to your question, there are exceptions to the seven years, for example the media system is only covered for 36 months or 60,000 miles (whichever comes first). There are other exception which , are detailed on the warranty web site. Consumables are also subject to limitations. Yes it has to be serviced as per the manufacturers guidelines. If you do use a none Kia service agent/dealer you must keep a record of all parts used.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Welcome to the forum, 'myself123'.

It isn't a silly question at all. The answer is a little complicated but not everything is guaranteed for the full 7 years. One example would be the infotainment unit which is only warranted for 3 years and then there is the clutch which, without checking, is only guaranteed for two years......might even be less?

Perhaps more importantly, components that are not serviceable items and not subject to the normal wear and tear expected of a car remain under warranty for the full 7 years. Brakes, like clutches, cannot be warranted for 7 years for obvious reasons, however, the engine will remain under guarantee for the full 7 years, providing that the car has been serviced in compliance with KIA's schedule.

While it is not essential, thanks to rules known as 'Block exemption regulations', to have your vehicle serviced exclusively by a KIA dealer, it really is the smart thing to do. Why? Because KIA's charges, relative to many other mainstream carmakers, are very reasonable although perhaps a little more than many independent garages. Moreover, if an owner needs to make a warranty claim and KIA find that the service history looks questionable, they will insist on scrutinising every fully itemised service receipt for work conducted outside of the KIA network - every manufacture operates in similar fashion in that regard - to find any reason why they should not pay out for repairs or replacement.

There are many smart-asses who would have you believe that KIA dealers are all robbers whereas their trusted mechanic (it's like the 'My butcher/my greengrocer' thing that some posh women use to impress!) is some kind of superhero with whom they are on first-name terms and who is always ready to jump to attention for such a valued customer and still charges 1975 prices for parts and labour.

Well, the world isn't like that but it seems important to some correspondents in these pages that they express how clever they are compared to the rest of the motoring population by paying Joe Bloggs' Autos 20 quid or whatever less than a KIA dealer. It should be remembered, however, that independent repairers are unable to sign off the anti-rust and body warranty. Nor are they able to perform any updates to which only KIA dealers have access.

Apart from all that, the savings made by commissioning an independent trader to service your vehicle will not amount to a substantial sum of money as it is a once-a-year cost for most of us and will have been for nought if KIA decide to reject a warranty claim that leaves you with a bill for several thousand pounds.

I look upon the KIA warranty as a contract between two parties: On the one hand, KIA guarantees certain things contained in the warranty document while the other party agrees to keep the vehicle maintained according to KIA's laid-down schedule contained in the Owner's manual. That is not a difficult concept to grasp and given that no independent garage business can authorise warranty repairs on a KIA vehicle, it makes good sense in my book to give the servicing business to a KIA dealership as it helps to have them onside if you have a problem that requires a warranty solution.

Reactions: iooi

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for responding, some very wise words indeed Indalo

What is the general cost a a service for the picanto at at Kia dealership?, i assume if buying car new, might be able to haggle a bit off the servicing

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
If you are buying new then look at the service packs. Even if it's not brand new you can still get one.

Just make sure it is a Kia one as per below (means you can use ANY Kia dealer) & not one that's tie you to the dealer supplying the service deal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts