Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all you Sportage owners.

I recently took delivery of my new sportage and i cant get the TMC to work.

I spent the best part of the last 2 days in discussions with Kia at various levels including trying to get hold of Micheal Cole himself (MD) to no avail.

The TMC function on the nav (Which im sure everyone will agree is an important part of motoring for those who do a lot of miles) does not work in the UK. Kia unlike Hyundai (Same sysytem) did not and will not pay for the licience for the TMC from traffic master in the uk. in there wisdom they have also blocked it so we can buy this indivually.

Does anyone have or know how we can access the system to turn this function on, I will be happy to pay if need be but i do need this function. I not promoting steeling in any way but the signals exist we just need access to them.

shaun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ive done a little bit of looking around and found that Hyundi use the same unit as kia. Same files ect

My kia is a 2011 i looked at the dates of the files in my unit and they were jan 2010. looked at the files that hyundi have available on their website and they are newer. I downloaded the files and put them into my unit and heypresto the tcm now works. even asks which radio station i want to use. Which it never did before it just said unavailable.

Let me know if you need instructions on how to do it

PS i have not checked to see what it does yet but at least it now allows me to enable it

Edited by: agoodwill

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi... I recall reading another thread on here a while ago about this and thought it hit a snag and couldn't be done for some reason... or something... does it come up with Hyundai livery?

Have you spotted any downsides?

Anyway, if wantever you've done works then please let me know procedure, would like to look in to.

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh MY GOD... Yes please... tell me how to do it so i can get the traffic updates, this would be great, And even if it does come up with Hyundai at the start i dont care..

you have no idea how greatful i am having sat in a 7 mile tailback on the M4 this week.

regards

shaun

·
Registered
16 Posts
When you load the update files the unit says this is not a update for this unit. with 2 buttons 1 ok 2 cancel. i pressed ok and it updated the files. when it had finished it came up with same message so i pressed cancel. the unit then rebooted with tcm enabled. It gave me option of 4 radio staions BBC 1-4. After looking on the net i found that only clasic FM transmit the data.

Just going to see if i can get it to take classic fm

I will keep you posted

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so where do i get these file, what do i need to do and how. and classic can be put on i did it the other day trying to get mine to work but not sure on the Hyundai firmwhere.

shaun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
press ok when it says it cant up date and it does

The files need to be in the route of your thumb drive ie not in a folder

Edited by: agoodwill

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm VERY interested in this thread as TMC is a must have.

I only got my Sportage yesterday but the TMC did show as auto selected and offered manual channel selection, however I haven't had chance to see if it works as yet.

Agoodwill, if you can let me know how to check the file dates i'll happily check mine to see what date they are.

Cheers,

Jon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My TMC was not enabled when i got mine in Feb this year. So ive progressed a little by getting it to at least enable. I am currently looking at the files for the nav and all the TMC files are there . Just looking to see if there is a config file that needs to be changed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi. Mine is 2 weeks old. And As i think i have said in another thread, I have had dealings with Kia UKon this. Kia did not and will not pay for the licience in the UK. It works abroad but not here. I have currently a file open with the DTI as i was sold this by a KIA dealer and was promised it was a fully working TMC yet its not and having paid the extra for the cars nav i as i susspect all of you "TMC" must have people are a little anoyed by it. Hopefully agoodwill will sort out our issue.

In the mean time, I got to the Windows part of the laptop driven nav and am also looking at the files but i draw a blanc as i have NO IDEA what im looking at.

shaun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have tried to do the firmware upgrade again.... i plug in the usb and click ok when it says its not right, it after about a min comes back with not valid for this car and restarts as it was before.

its not playing fair !! ! ! ! ! ! ! !!

IM BEGINNING TO WISH I HAD BOUGHT THE HYUNDAI IX35 now. especially as my phone, top of the range nokia business phone also dosnt work and i have had to go and buy a new one so it talks properly with the car.

shaun.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another update on this...

TMC shows as enabled, I can select Auto and also manually select Classic FM as the feed....... However it doesn't sodding work.... ended up sat on the M25 for 2 hours of queues today, if the TMC had worked it should have sent me anticlockwise as my Qashqai NAV did last weekend grrrrrrr.

We need to get a petition together and get KIA to listen and buy the bloody licence!

Love the car otherwise and had lots of people staring at it on the M25 :)

Jon.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You would only be demonstrating that you didn't know what you were getting at the time of purchase - not a bright idea !!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hi All,

I'm sure I
was getting TMC info when I first got the car, then it just stopped working?

Maybe you
get a trial period... anyone else noticed this?

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Anyhow, TMC
works in Europe because it's free.

Last Sunday/Monday
drove down to Spain via Paris.

TMC was
showing really heavy traffic around the Paris ring road. The Sat Nav gave a
voice warning of the traffic and displayed "DIVERT" "INFO"
"CANCEL". so I selected Divert, 30 seconds later same message, again
I selected Divert. To cut a long story short, the system could not resolve a
new route!

I ended up
having to switch TMC off because even selecting Cancel made no difference,
still had the same message over and over again.

So yes it is
nice to have because you can see road works, accidents & traffic, but when
it comes to re-routing it struggles in heavy traffic and just keeps nagging
you.

Furthermore
the maps are woefully out of date.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, another update after 11 days of ownership.......

Love the car, now has 800 miles on it however the TMC issue is really getting annoying.

Last Sunday sat in 2 hours of traffic due to the lack of TMC.

Friday, Sat on the M6 north due to a jacknifed lorry... stationary for 1.5 hours, total delay due to lack of TMC was 3 hours.

Today, would have had a 2 hour delay on the M6 South due to an accident, luckily got a TA on the radio and used head nav to get off the M6 and do the A500 round Stoke to bypass it. If the TA hadn't come on 2 mins before the junction i would have sat there for 2 hours grrrrr.

Compared to the Sat Nav in my 4 year old Qashqai which i p/x'd for the Sportage the Nav and Bluetooth is garbage, I can't use my phone (HTC Desire HD) as it locks the nav up resulting in a fuse pull to reset it, re routing it can't deal with properly so the unit IMO is not fit for purpose and i'm considering going the legal route if I don't get an answer from Kia promising to resolve it.

I'm going to keep a log of the time I lose in traffic due to lack of TMC.

Jon.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts