Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have had my new Venga 1.4 Eco Diesel version for over a week, and as I had a lot of mostly motorway trips I have racked up over 500 miles thus far. I love my Venga but am concerned as I am only getting a combined 39-40 mpg. Combined the Venga Eco lists as 62.8 and I was expecting to get about 55-58, but 39-40 :( . I got the Eco version to save and thus initially it costs more, but maybe it was the wrong choice? Is anyone else having lower than expected mpg? Thanks, C

·
Registered
662 Posts
if your journeys are motorway based then the eco's not the model for you as its not going to save any fuel on the stop start your car will need to bed in and gas mileage will improve after 2-3000 miles when the engine loosens up thing with the eco is to change up the gears as soon as possible and cruse at 65mph which is where its torque band is look ahead and try to stay off the brakes and you will see the published figures

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have covered just under 5000 miles in my Venga CRD1and get on average over 60 mpg. Granted I am not a fast driver, usually travelling at 50 mph and a user of Millers Diesel Ecomax. However I have noticed that if I use Tesco diesel I get 3 to 4 mpg less.

The manufacturers published figures are attainable for me at least with a gentle driving style and the mainly traffic free roads in my area.

·
Registered
662 Posts
BEWARE IS YOUR MILLERS OIL CORRECT FOR A DIESEL VENGA? you must use a ACEA C3 spec oil failure to use this oil will cause an issue with the DPF filter on your car and Kia will not cover it under warranty due to the incorrect spec oil being used check your handbook and the millers can

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thank you for pointing out the potential problem.
I however think you are confusing the specification of engine oil required by the manufacturer with the diesel fuel additive I mentioned in my post.

To my knowledge the ACEA3 specifications refer only to engine oil and not to fuel tank additives.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Photostar and welcome my engine, took a good 7000 miles to settle down and gets better every day, some Diesel engines can take up to 20K before they have settled down.
Put a few more miles on it and it will be a different machine to what you have now.

Bob.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I suffered the same problem but after changing fuel from supermarket to Shell I found that the higher Mpg possible.

This also had the added benifit of reducing rattle and increasing power.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Venga 1 1.4CRDi has done 3500 miles. Urban 38mpg, ExtraUrban 49mpg, Combined 45mpg. My previous car was a 2006 VW Passat 1.9 TDi, which had clocked up 124k, yet easily managed 50mpg combined and often did 60mpg ExtraUrban. I switched to this Venga on the belief that it was economical. Is there anyone out there who has 'insiders knowledge' of this engine and how to improve fuel consumption? (Not looking for the obvious driving tips, more of what can be done to the engine/computer)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is everyone calculating their mpg by fill to fill & doing the maths ? the onboard mpg indicators can sometimes be miles out. My 1.4crdi only did 40mpg around town on the first tank full, it hasn't done 2000 miles yet but the last tank returned 51 mpg from fuel used & miles travelled. The onboard calculator indicated 54 mpg. Does your crdi make a pinking noise on acceleration, if so there is an upgrade for the ecu but kia will only install it if a customer complains. Did you get your venga from WESSEX, they have been excellent so far with the problems I have had with mine. Saying this I do expect the mpg to get better as the miles increase, & similar to you I part exed a 1.9dci laguna with 136,000 on the clock which gave me 41 mpg around town & 52 on a run but bought the venga on the basis of its fuel economy & 7 year warranty.

John

·
Registered
38 Posts
What's this Millers Ecomax stuff mentioned above? As it's an additive to the fuel, does it improve economy such that the cost of the additive is cancelled out by the savings in fuel? Or is it just Snake Oil in a fancy can?

I agree with the mileage thing, I am fully expecting mileage to improve as the miles increase. I have calculated mileage using fuel used vs. miles driven and found the onboard calculator to be surprisingly accurate (within 2 mpg).

Timpernx.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm getting around 50 mpg (regular driving) to 56 mpg (gentle driving) in my 1.4 CRDI. Not bad. But if one pushes the throttle a little harder fuel consumption goes up steeply (40.4 mpg @ 85 mph).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts