Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone thinking of doing a keyless entry upgrade to their existing central locking then give me a shout as I found out how to do it and it is very easy once you know where and what wires to break into.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the kit is universal. But you must have central locking already installed on your car for the keyless remote upgrade that I bought. The guy also does a remote central locking kit for cars that do not have central locking. The fobs have a good feel to them and are not cheap plastic ones.
Ebay item number for the one I got is:- 230451013865

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a good one for £22. When I bought my first Ceed it didn't have a keyless remote and I got the Kia garage to fit a meta kit and I was charged £145. It took me about an hour and half to fit the ebay one to my Rio. The time was mainly taken up with tracing the correct wires to connect to.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Shouldn't be to bad on his it's only a little Suzuki alto bean can on wheels lol my picantos on remote or would have bourght two thanks again dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Davy,

I have a Kia Rio 58 plate, which I would love to have remote central locking on... my husband will fit it for me.. he just needs to know where the wires are / what wires to connect where.

If you could help me I will be very grateful.. (and my husband told me to tell you that if you can do this for me.. I'll upload a picture of fresh baked cookies just for you :) )

Angelj

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Angelj I will get back to you tomorrow with pics of where I broke into (eh the wiring loom that is) and connected the remote locking unit. I'm working an extra shift tonight so I'm off to bed just now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Davey...

Will look forward to your post.. (in the mean time.. I'll go slave away in the kitchen in anticipation hehe)

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is wiring diagram of the fuse box. It is the front of the fuse box inside car.

You will see this connection on the fuse board just above the actual fuses.
PLEASE DISCONNECT BATTERY NEGATIVE BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS JUST IN CASE YOU SHORT A WIRE OUT.
Take the fuse panel off the lower panel.Then you have to take the lower panel off just below steering column its held on with a couple of screws on the lower edge at each side and two bolts at bottom of fuse board. This is so you can get into fuse board and wiring. Pull the panel off it will be tight cos it is held by clips at the top edge. The fog light switch will come out also.
PLEASE NOTE ALL CONNECTIONS ARE BEST SOLDERED.
REMEMBER AND INSULATE ALL SOLDERED JOINTS.
Where I have shown the lock side with a shaded box 3rd one down from top of connector there are 2 wires going into it cut these wires about 2inch back from connector. You may have to undo some loom tape so that you can cut the 2inch back from connector. Now bare about 1cm of the wires you have just cut. The 2 wires coming from connector twist the bare ends together and tin with solder. The other 2 wires coming from the loom do the same twist and tin with solder.
On the side of the dash, the part that is covered when door is closed there is a panel, take this panel off and you will see a metal frame, this is where you attach the keyless remote unit with cable ties from up inside the dash of course. NOT at this stage wait till everything is wired up and works ok.
At this stage work out how much you can reduce the remote units wiring loom so as not to have a mass of wires coiled up.
Once you have done that its time to join up the wires.
Take the ORANGE wire and bare and tin the end with solder and then solder it to the wires coming from the top most wires you cut and soldered from the connector i.e 3rd from top of connector.
Take the WHITE wire and solder it to the wires from the loom side.
Now where I have shown the unlock side with a shaded box 5th one down from top of connector do the exact same job as you did with the lock side one.
Take the ORANGE/BLACK wire and join by soldering to the the wires coming from connector i.e. 5th one down from top of connector.
Take the WHITE/BLACK wire and solder it to the wires on the loom side.
The 12volt positive supply I took from the large connector with a heavy red wire as shown.
Join the RED wire and YELLOW wire and YELLOW/BLACK wire together from keyless loom and either solder it to the large red wire at connector or crimp it to it.
The BLUE wire from keyless loom goes to sidelights on the model of keyless remote unit I bought some others go to the indicators. Tap into the wire on the other connector shown for side lights. You can use a scotch lok type connector here to connect BLUE wire to sidelight wiring.
The BLACK goes to an earth I used the frame that the top of the fuse board is bolted to.
The PINK wire is the boot release but I never used this as all doors and boot open with the one button.
Now connect the keyless loom to the unit. Connect the negative back up on your battery. Shut all doors and press the lock button it should lock. Press the unlock button it should unlock. Depending on unit the side lights should flash once to lock and twice to unlock.
Secure the keyless unit to the dash as I said earlier with cable ties and tidy up the keyless loom.
Install the lower dash panel and fog switch and dash side panel.
If it all works ok give yourself a pat on the back and get the wife to make you a cup of tea and some cookies.
If there is anything else you want to know just gives a shout on here no problem.
Davy

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys did you not know the Rio section is a swingers club too
. Your all just jealous

Tommy Sheridan wanted in but hes not got a Rio just a set of bars to hang on to poor soul.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks..my husband used to like my plump warm buns as well - but I joined this forum looking for some practical car advice and help, not for a cheap thrill 'chatting' online...plenty other websites for that!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All

I've just bought one oif these kits but the fitting styructiona are awful.

Does anyone have a better instruction set including which wires on the remote unit connect into which wires on the Kia?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ray

1 - 20 of 22 Posts