Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Have a 2017 cee'd gt line. The keyless entry on doors and boot has always worked fine.
However, went shopping today and came back to car with key in pocket and tried to open the boot and it wouldn't unlock.checked the doors and they were fine and opened by pressing button on door, so seems to be issue with the boot.

Anyone else had this issue and is it likely to correct itself or has something broken all of a sudden?

I read somewhere that an antenna could be at fault.

As I say though doors are fine and key buttons open doors and boot as they should, it's just the boot keyless entry that's got issues.

If left is it likely to cause any issues as I noticed some older posts on internet that suggested car battery can drain if theres a faulty antenna. Is this still the case with a 2017 car or has that issue been fixed if there was a draining problem?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had the boot antenna on my 64 plate Proceed fail. As you say, waling up to the hatch it wouldn't respond but once unlocked by the key, opened no problem. Replaced under warranty, seems to a quite common problem. It's tucked up under the bumper and the original ones were vulnerable to moisture.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Same here, my 17 plate gt has just had the antenna and connector replaced. I mentioned the problem when booking a service and they ordered the antenna ready to fit. One of the connectors was badly corroded and needed to replaced as well, so I never did find out which bit caused the actual failure. Suffice to say, their attitude suggested it wasn't uncommon.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a 16 gt line and think I may have the same issue so if I have locked my car and approach it from behind with the key in my pocket should the boot unlock of its own accord? Mine doesn't which may mean I have the same problem!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah ok so sounds like it's fairly common then even on newer cars.

DAF XF - yes, up until yesterday, whenever I had shopping etc, i could have key in pocket and go up to boot without opening car and just pressing the boot button on car and it would automatically unlock. However, now it's not working but boot opens fine if i press the button on key fob or unlock entire car as normal, it's just the keyless entry that appears to be not working for the boot only.

So is this something that can be fixed say at a service? It doesnt bother me too much that it's not working but I'm worrying that it could cause battery drain on car - has this occurred for anyone on here because of a bad antenna on boot? Or will it be ok to leave for a bit? I just dont want to go out to work and have a flat battery.

Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for the info mine is obviously suffering from the same issue. To perhaps ease your worry mine has been like that for over 2 years and I've had no issue with the battery! I must mention it prior to the next service get them to sort it

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mine was like yours for about two months and I personally didn't suffer any battery issues. As I say, I mentioned it when booking my next service, along with the seats turning to snow. All they said was they'll order the bits and need the car for longer than a normal service. When they found the connector problem, they wiped out the hire car excess for the trouble of me returning to have the new part fitted. Quick plug..... I can highly recommend Triangle Kia in Chesterfield. Faultless so far for me.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replies. I wonder if the newer parts they are fitting are upgraded somehow? Seems pointless if not as these antennas are only lasting 2 to 3 years by looks of it.

That's good to know that the battery has been ok. What's longest your cars have been left without starting engine with this antenna issue. The only thing I worry about now is if battery would be fine after say a week or 2 if going away on holiday for example.

Do you think it is easier to get them to do the repair alongside a service when that is due or is it quite a big job to do and they'd need the car for more than a day?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I wonder if the newer parts they are fitting are upgraded somehow? Seems pointless if not as these antennas are only lasting 2 to 3 years by looks of it.

That's good to know that the battery has been ok. What's longest your cars have been left without starting engine with this antenna issue. The only thing I worry about now is if battery would be fine after say a week or 2 if going away on holiday for example.

Do you think it is easier to get them to do the repair alongside a service when that is due or is it quite a big job to do and they'd need the car for more than a day?

From my own experience the car has been grand for a week while on holidays - mine has never been any longer so not sure about two

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mine also sat in airport parking for a week with no problems on return.
In terms of the time to fix, I don't think it's a big job, mine was ready by mid afternoon, dropped off at 9, but I have no idea when they started it as I leave it with them for the day and go to work. Mine had the seats done at the same time which I suspect is a bigger job. When I took it back for the connector, I was in and out in an hour.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That puts my mind at rest a bit then. Thank you. I've never had any battery issues up to now it was just because of this antenna issue that I wondered may cause some.

Good to know it doesnt seem like a big job. I may try and contact dealership and get them to take a look but if not then I'll just wait until service and ask them to do it alongside that.

Any idea if the newer part has been updated somehow to stop issue happening again?

·
Registered
264 Posts
No idea if they've upgraded the parts, you would assume so if there have been multiple failures but probably not.

When to get it fixed will depend on two factors. 1) How much it bothers you, I left mine for months, just used the drivers door button instead. 2) How busy your dealer is and how close you are to next service. They probably won't be able to claim much from kia for the warranty repair so would prefer to do it while the car was already with them for something. Give em a call, all dealers vary.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I pointed it out at service time and they said they would look at it, pencilling in £85 investigation fee (about £85 iirc). Fortunately, I was confident from what I'd read n here that was what it was, or I would probably have left it! When ot was confirmed, they said they'd have to order it in and I'd need to come back. Which was a bit inconvenient, but hey, fixed for free I suppose..

·
Registered
264 Posts
I pointed it out at service time and they said they would look at it, pencilling in £85 investigation fee (about £85 iirc). Fortunately, I was confident from what I'd read n here that was what it was, or I would probably have left it! When ot was confirmed, they said they'd have to order it in and I'd need to come back. Which was a bit inconvenient, but hey, fixed for free I suppose..
I keep hearing about this inspection fee. I don't agree with it for any warranty work but for something like this, where its blatantly obvious something has gone wrong, I think it's simply wrong. The boot doesn't open, why in the world would the customer share any cost related to the warranty repair.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I keep hearing about this inspection fee. I don't agree with it for any warranty work but for something like this, where its blatantly obvious something has gone wrong, I think it's simply wrong. The boot doesn't open, why in the world would the customer share any cost related to the warranty repair.
I know, particularly when they went on to suggest it wasn't the first one they'd done... But I suppose they are covering themselves; I could have reached up there myself and ripped the wires out! Or, I've read quite a few instances on HJ website of cars having their wiring looms nibbled by rats or squirrels (even doorseals pecked by birds). Don't imagine even KIA's warranty would cover that!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh I didn't realise that. So if I take it in your kia then I'm likely to be charged £85 or so just to get them to look at it?
Is this refunded though if they confirm it is in fact a faulty part?

As I said previously, I can live with it. It certainly isn't something that is important or inconvenient. My main issue (as I'd read on another site) was that poor or faulty antenna for the keyless entry can and will cause battery drain.
However as you've said on here that it hasn't affected anyone that's had a bad boot antenna so to be honest if that's the case I'd rather just leave it for now.
I did email the dealers just to explain the issue so will see what they come back with but if they say about paying out money and investigating before they can fix then think I'm just going to leave it for now.

·
Registered
260 Posts
No, the £85 (iirc, and your dealer might be different) was if they found it wasn't warranty work, i.e. not a component failure but accident damage. If they had found it gnawed by rats say, it would have been £85 plus the cost of the part and fitting. But like I say, I was confident it was going to be a warranty job.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, well I contacted local dealership. They said that there is potential for battery to discharge more if theres a fault with one of the antennas as it could cause the car to keep 'searching' for a key in error.

So bit stuck what to do as I know on here a few people that have had issue hasn't had any battery issues as such but if theres the potential then i wonder whether it be better just to get it looked at instead of potential to go out to a flat battery.

I also asked about fee and they said no as long as theres no exterior damage as such that could have caused the malfunction then it would be covered under warranty.

Only annoying thing is they said they would need it booked in for the investigation and then it would need to be booked in again for the work to be done. Which I guess is understandable as they need to identify the cause (even though we know its 99% going to be the antenna unit)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Only annoying thing is they said they would need it booked in for the investigation and then it would need to be booked in again for the work to be done.
Yeah, that is a pain. But I guess no one carries stock of anything now if they can help it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah think you are right there. A lot of parts seems to be ordered in now which keeps the costs down for each garage I guess, saving having items lying about that might not get used.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts