Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any danger of scanning keys so someone could read the key codes to be able to start the car without ones knowledge? Like credit card skimming I guess?

Has it happened at all?

·
Premium Member
68 Picanto GT-Line S, 69 Ceed ISG 2, 1.0TGDi
19 Posts
I keep the fobs in a Faraday Cage Wallet at night, well away from any doors or windows.
In the wallet, even touching the car doors where the aerials are, they aren't detected, you should check them every month to make sure they haven't started to break down.
A metal box will work the same, if they really want the car, they will have to break into the house for the fob/keys.
I got my wallets from EBay, £14 for two.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a pair of these arriving today..........

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
If you are using faraday pouches. Then check them on a regular basis by taking them to the car with keys inside & see if door opens.
Constant use can cause the protective layer to breakdown.

·
Registered
427 Posts
For those relying on a Faraday pouch, you might be interested to follow the links on this recent post by Minesh Pattni on the Kia Owners Club Facebook page.

It has certainly opened my eyes and I will be upgrading my car security asap.

"My Kia Sportage was stolen from Kingsbury London NW9
Sunday 10th April 2022 - 925pm
There was No sign of relay theft - eg man walking around with device etc
It's taken me a month to work out how they do it
They clearly don't need to be in proximity to your key
And it doesn't make any difference if it is kept in a pouch
http://Www.wccftech.com/car-thieves-arrested-after.../amp
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-58788627.amp
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Retro-gaming-devices...
For those who are interested
The criminals don't need to be in proximity to your key or whether you keep in a security pouch
This video shows how they do it
KIA - HYUNDAI - MITSUBISHI Keyless Cars"

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
West Yorkshire Police said the device, worth £20,000, could unlock and start a car "in a matter of seconds".
So not for the chancer then...

For anyone that wants to view the u-tube video it is still there.

·
Registered
298 Posts
So not for the chancer then...
Not for chancers, no. However I'd suggest those using relay devices and/or reprogramming stuff via the obd ports aren't either. That modified gameboy is next level though, it's embarrassingly quick to bypass the cars "security" features.

Point being, if 'professionals' want your car they are having it. There is simply nothing you can do about it.

Chances of theft are slim in the grand scheme of things. That's what insurance is for.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento KX4 Auto
16 Posts
I keep both my keys and my wifes keys in a small metal box this stops the signal. The box is just big enough to hold a pack of cards which is just an ideal size for holding two key fobs.

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
Kia supplied a pouch free of charge with our car, but we found it was next to useless. The fob has to be fully in the pouch and the pouch closed, which means it can't be left on a key ring. Initially I used a tin box, but my son bought a proper Faraday box of Amazon and it works a treat. Best thing is we don't have to search for our keys, they are always left in the box.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Agree. If they want it they will have it.
That why the old back to the 70's stuff is what many use now. Can't use computer tech to get passed that 🤣
Hmm. Back in the 70s the Transit vans (in particular) were well known for locks that responded to almost any key, especially if both lock and key were well used.

On a foreign trip with a racing team someone parked a Transit behind our truck ruining our plans for an early start to the day because we could not get the tailgate open. Fortunately the keys to our Transit opened the offending vehicle and allowed us to move it.

I have seen it suggested that there may have been as few as 10 different lock patterns used by Transits at the time and that trying other keys was a very common activity.

The KIA Connect app might be one way to discover where a stolen car might be. I would guess that KIA also has data about where it might have been.

There was a story yesterday about a lady who had a Land Rover stolen from "secure" parking in London. Here insurance policy was based on miles travelled and so the car had a tracker type device fitted for billing purposes. She checked and discovered that the car was parked about 2 miles from where it was stolen. She went to the location and found the car with changed plates relating to another car of the same spec. and colour. Opened it with her keys and discovered her plates inside. She has now also fitted a steering wheel lock.

Obviously this only works if cars have not been spirited to a container within hours of their theft or taken somewhere to be stripped for parts immediately. However, the tracking device might be able to build a case against the thieves if the police are interested.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It occurs to me that, at least with a Niro, one of the best security options would be to park forwards on a driveway such that any would-be thief has to reverse off.

The reversing noise would, potentially, waken everyone for miles around! ;)

That might not work in a busy, noisy town or city of course ...

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
The reversing noise would, potentially, waken everyone for miles around! ;)

That might not work in a busy, noisy town or city of course ...

Oh, not not that old chestnut 🤣

On Kia Connect. All they have to do is disconnect your account. No tracking then.

Not sure Kia in the UK is set up to track vehicle's.

I know stateside it is in the premium subscription option. But you looking @ $199 a year.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oh, not not that old chestnut 🤣

On Kia Connect. All they have to do is disconnect your account. No tracking then.

Not sure Kia in the UK is set up to track vehicle's.

I know stateside it is in the premium subscription option. But you looking @ $199 a year.

They would need to know how to disconnect the account. OK, so not difficult perhaps but some may not know.

My guess is that the premium subscription is just an access-to-data fee. After all, If I want to know where the car is (as last recorded when parked) the app will tell me. In effect that is no different to the Insurance company's billing tracker in so far as discovering where the car is may be concerned.

All of these matters will be resolved once the Govt. introduces road use taxation with perpetual tracking a device that prevents use of the car if certain criteria as not present at the time travel is attempted.

Obviously it would still be better to prevent the theft in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
I would thank that anyone going out to steal a Kia would know this. Thw=ese day do not get joyriders stealing cars as they are too complex. Unless someone is daft enough to leave key's where they can get them.

Connect is not a tracking device as viewed by insurance companies. Not even sure if Kia could share the data. Would need T/C to be changed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts