Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've just driven to work for my night shift and when I parked up my Kia Ceed a warning graphic popped up on the dashboard saying my key fob battery was low, my question is how long will this last before it gives up completely and will it be able to get me into the car in the morning and home before it gives up completely?

Cheers

Jim

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
553 Posts
Probably won't be very long! Keyless entry chews up batteries pretty quickly, whether you are using the car or not. I'd replace it as soon as you are able. A pack of six appropriate batteries is money well spent!

You should never be stranded though; you can always pop-out the metal key from the fob to get in, and you can always put the fob against the Start-Stop button to get going.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably won't be very long! Keyless entry chews up batteries pretty quickly, whether you are using the car or not. I'd replace it as soon as you are able. A pack of six appropriate batteries is money well spent!

You should never be stranded though; you can always pop-out the metal key from the fob to get in, and you can always put the fob against the Start-Stop button to get going.
thanks for your swift reply, however I'm not sure how to get into the car with the key as I've never used it before?

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
553 Posts
Check you owners handbook, but should be something like this:

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'd say you'll be fine for a few days at least. Even when the keyless gives up, the fob buttons still unlock the car and at worst, it requires starting the car by touching the fob to the start button. My keyless went completely, to the extent I accused the accident repairers of messing up the system. I was still driving it for days while arguing they needed to fix it. Not once did I need to use the metal key and in the end my regular kia dealer confirmed it was just a flat fob battery.

·
Registered
912 Posts
in case you haven't purchased yet. Brand name batteries often last longer than the cheap no name multi packs in keys, cards and fobs. they will cost more but may be worth it one day.
Panasonic, Varta and such.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mine lasted months with weeks between low battery messages so its probably nothing to panic about but as above wise to have one or two in a drawer handy!

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Careful where you source the battery. There are a lot of cheap Duracell and Panasonic batteries which are Chinese forgeries and vastly inferior. Choose yue supplier carefully and don't try to save a couple of quid.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
Mine gave that message for about a week before I got rid of my Stonic.

Just keep the fob somewhere warm, that helps..

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got this sorted , changed the battery. Though the inside of the key fob was completely different to the on illustrated in the instruction manual.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts