Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the 'wife tank' to work today, was looking at the key and wondering why it won't flip open any more.
If we close it, we have to prise it open again with a fingernail.
I only have the one key with me, so can't compare with the other one, but please look at the photos below and feel free to comment.
The wee 'pin' that I've photographed seems to be the issue, it's rubbing against the plastic casing.
Now I don't want to attempt to push this pin back into the hole if they're all like this - can anyone compare with their key please?
Key1.jpg

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Now I don't want to attempt to push this pin back into the hole if they're all like this - can anyone compare with their key please?
Use pliers or adjustable wrench to squeeze the pin fully back into the hole where it should be. Position the side of the key surrounding the pin on a hard metal surface, take a toffee hammer and centre punch and spread each end of the hollow pin in turn with a sharp tap.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use pliers or adjustable wrench to squeeze the pin fully back into the hole. where it should be. Position the side of the key surrounding the pin on a hard metal surface, take a toffee hammer and centre punch and spread each end of the hollow pin in turn with a sharp tap.
I know how to repair it, cheers.
I just needed to make sure they're not all like that.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But you had already diagnosed the problem in your first post, it's pretty obvious that the pin should pass the plastic housing without having to force it, isn't it?
Is there any harm in posting a photo and making 100% sure?
Could have been a housing issue and the sticking out pin performs some sort of locking function.
Then I'm pushing back a pin that shouldn't be pushed back.

Furlough getting to you.....? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is there any harm in posting a photo and making 100% sure?
Could have been a housing issue and the sticking out pin performs some sort of locking function.
Then I'm pushing back a pin that shouldn't be pushed back.

Furlough getting to you.....? :rolleyes:
Well remember that next time you start spouting about, and belittling, other members queries.

No furlough getting to me, I have no need to work now.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now if I could only fix one of the daughter's Picanto keys that refuses to lock back into the case....
Tempted to give one of the generic keys you can buy off ebay a go.
Seems you swap the blade and the internals, don't suppose anyone's tried??

·
Registered
11 Posts
I needed to visit my Kia dealer anyway and both keys were repeatability doing this(2/3 weeks) , so I asked them to sort it. They just pushed them back in, two eeks later, they were jamming again.

Moral of the story, if you want something doing properly, do it yourself. I had some loctite blue thread glue, since putting some of that in there and putting the pins back in, they have never shifted for over a year.

It's a shame Kia dont know how to fix this properly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts