Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, does anyone have any experience in the effects of running a 2006 sorento with a k and n air filter?is there any ill effects or running probs or are they as good as they say.thanks kevin

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
There is no gain power wise but the good thing is you can clean and re-oil them . So in the long run are cheaper than original paper throw away filters. But do not over oil them as the oil mist can coat the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Taff did you dyno the cars with and without the K&N filters as this has been tested on bikes and some bikes actually performed better with the a new stock filter.
The good thing about K&N and BMC filters which I have fitted the later to my Hayabusa is they can be cleaned and re-oiled so saving you some dosh in the long run. The power gains some sellers tell you is way optimistic.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi Davy,
yes you are correct, some figures are just copied or pulled from other sites etc.

We dont have a dyno, but my last two vehicles a Sorento and Caddy van were dyno'd for my own info at a Rally Prep Company.

We set up the 4 wheel dyno on sorento and normal she pulled at 142bhp with standard filter, with K/N it gave 143bhp...then PowerBox without K/N....171bhp..with filter.. 174bhp

The Caddy gave roughly the same differences with/without K/N...

I must see if i have the print outs, buts it over 5 years now since we did this....but i found the vehicles a lot smoother with then fitted.

Taff

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I tried a K&N in my Rio CRDi, it didn't seem to make any difference. Maybe with a tuning box you might see a more significant effect. Got worried after a week or so by how see through it looked, so went back to using a stock filter, but changing every 6 to 10 k miles, rather than 24. After 10k you do feel a significant drop in power with a stock filter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.