Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just towed a medium sizedcaravanwith the sportage 250 miles 1300 miles on the clock now. Results, very pleased, auto box behaved it self very well , the audi a4 I had changed up and down constantly where the Kia does not. Temps remained constant.Went up some quite hard inclines no problem. Only returned 20 mpg but thats what I expected anyway so quite happy. Caravan is less that two years old but there was something creaking notsureif it was the van or the car only when I went round corners not sure if it was the alko hitch on the new ball hitch or what . Will check the new tow bar tomorrow but it seems stiffenough. Was in alay-bybehind a car, people inside car were standing out side their car when I pulled away from behind them and the van creaked theynearly filled their pants, thought I hit them
Anyone any ideas whats creaking???

·
Registered
31 Posts
it will be your stabalizer the ball mabey needs a clean or a bit of dirt has got on the pads.

have you got a detachable? if you have do you find the hitch close or touching the bumper when you hitch up?

·
Registered
107 Posts
toolpusher said:
Hi

Just towed a medium sizedcaravanwith the sportage 250 miles 1300 miles on the clock now. Results, very pleased, auto box behaved it self very well , the audi a4 I had changed up and down constantly where the Kia does not. Temps remained constant.Went up some quite hard inclines no problem. Only returned 20 mpg but thats what I expected anyway so quite happy. Caravan is less that two years old but there was something creaking notsureif it was the van or the car only when I went round corners not sure if it was the alko hitch on the new ball hitch or what . Will check the new tow bar tomorrow but it seems stiffenough. Was in alay-bybehind a car, people inside car were standing out side their car when I pulled away from behind them and the van creaked theynearly filled their pants, thought I hit them
Have you sandpapered the paint off your towball head?
If not, that will almost certainly be your problem.
If you have then perhaps your Alko pads needcleaned.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I've just towed a one ton trailer with no noise at all. Not a squeak. However, I was actually expecting to hear some noise when I used the indicators.

Can someone else with Kia towing electrics please confirm that I should hear a beeping sound, or similar, when I use the indicators with the trailer attached.

Ta

Edit: I've just answered my own question. The buzzer only sounds when there is a fault with the trailer lights (any of them.) Next time I'll RTFM first.

Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
107 Posts
Techno said:
I've just towed a one ton trailer with no noise at all. Not a squeak. However, I was actually expecting to hear some noise when I used the indicators.

Can someone else with Kia towing electrics please confirm that I should hear a beeping sound, or similar, when I use the indicators with the trailer attached.

Ta

Edit: I've just answered my own question. The buzzer only sounds when there is a fault with the trailer lights (any of them.) Next time I'll RTFM first.
I'm surprised at that!

Every car I've towed with, including my Sportage, has had a bleeper sounding in unison with the indicators. If it wasn't bleeping there was a fault.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Oh dear Techno, you have got it the wrong way round, but I can see how your brain works though!It is a legal requirement (the Law) that a buzzer should sound when the indicators and only the indicators are activated. Its purpose is self explanatory, no buzzer = no indicators. the towing electrics have been included into the MOT this year therefore:- it is a legal requirement

·
Registered
399 Posts
toolpusher said:
Hi

[/QUOT

It is very difficult to get rid of the creaking noise from any kind of stabilizer once they have covered a few miles. Strip everything down, clean to a bright shine (NO POLISH) clean the friction pads, re-fit everything, there, you wont hear any creaking for about 50 miles,??? then carry out the dismantling and cleaning again,,, seriously, just remove the pads inspect them closely, clean towball to a steel shine, if everything is fine replace, it's very common amongst caravanners

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
techno

Can confirm I can hear a beep from the rear of the car thats inunisonwith the indicators and all indicators on the van are working fine. I have 13 pin electrics on the car.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
MININUT said:
Oh dear Techno, you have got it the wrong way round, but I can see how your brain works though!
toolpusher said:
Can confirm I can hear a beep from the rear of the car thats inunisonwith the indicators and all indicators on the van are working fine. I have 13 pin electrics on the car.
That is what I was expecting. I have always had a buzzer or a lamp to confirm that the lights are working.

However, I quote from Kia user guide - 3W621ADE00CP. The one supplied with the wiring kit.
The flashing lights on the trailer are monitored by the 5CO33 module. If one of the flashing lights of the trailer is defective, a warning buzzer is heard in synch with the flashing lights of the vehicle. Check the flashing lights of the trailer
The brake lights on the trailer are monitored by the 5CO33 module. If all the brake lights on the trailer are defective, a buzzer is heard upon braking. Check the brake light on the trailer.
And that is exactly what happens.

It is a legal requirement (the Law) that a buzzer should sound when the indicators and only the indicators are activated. Its purpose is self explanatory, no buzzer = no indicators. the towing electrics have been included into the MOT this year therefore:- it is a legal requirement
I have checked, and it isn't legal requirement that a buzzer should sound when the trailer indicators are working, only that a warning should be given that they are, or are not, working.
This monitoring process is carried out in a number of ways:

1) With the use of an additional warning lamp positioned in a convenient place for the driver to see

2) With the use of a built in system either by a warning lamp (Land Rover) or an acoustic sound (Nissan vehicles)

3) With the use of an acoustic device, commonly called a ""˜buzzer' which again, is positioned for driver convenience

4) Use of a C2 module, integrated into the towbar wiring harness, giving a double flash rate of existing indicators

5) Using the existing vehicle features, such as bulb failure symbol, and as described in the vehicle handbook.

Under * European law, it is essential that whatever system is adopted, the driver has to be notified, at all times, whether towing or not, of a failure of an indicator either on the car or the towed vehicle.

Source
Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so what will happen if one of van indicators fail? does the beeping stop, get quicker of what?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Techno said:
Thanks for the replies.
MININUT said:
Oh dear Techno, you have got it the wrong way round, but I can see how your brain works though!
toolpusher said:
That is what I was expecting. I have always had a buzzer or a lamp to confirm that the lights are working.

However, I quote from Kia user guide - 3W621ADE00CP. The one supplied with the wiring kit.
The flashing lights on the trailer are monitored by the 5CO33 module. If one of the flashing lights of the trailer is defective, a warning buzzer is heard in synch with the flashing lights of the vehicle. Check the flashing lights of the trailer
The brake lights on the trailer are monitored by the 5CO33 module. If all the brake lights on the trailer are defective, a buzzer is heard upon braking. Check the brake light on the trailer.
And that is exactly what happens.

It is a legal requirement (the Law) that a buzzer should sound when the indicators and only the indicators are activated. Its purpose is self explanatory, no buzzer = no indicators. the towing electrics have been included into the MOT this year therefore:- it is a legal requirement
I have checked, and it isn't legal requirement that a buzzer should sound when the trailer indicators are working, only that a warning should be given that they are, or are not, working.
This monitoring process is carried out in a number of ways:

1) With the use of an additional warning lamp positioned in a convenient place for the driver to see

2) With the use of a built in system either by a warning lamp (Land Rover) or an acoustic sound (Nissan vehicles)

3) With the use of an acoustic device, commonly called a ""˜buzzer' which again, is positioned for driver convenience

4) Use of a C2 module, integrated into the towbar wiring harness, giving a double flash rate of existing indicators

5) Using the existing vehicle features, such as bulb failure symbol, and as described in the vehicle handbook.

Under * European law, it is essential that whatever system is adopted, the driver has to be notified, at all times, whether towing or not, of a failure of an indicator either on the car or the towed vehicle.

Source
Yeeees I'm sorry, I should have said any kind of warning is a legal requirement! By the way, has anyone ever seen any other form of a warning other than a buzzer fitted,? I fitted a warning light once. But the buzzer is fitted as the norm, Anyhow I think we all agree in principal.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
toolpusher said:
so what will happen if one of van indicators fail? does the beeping stop, get quicker of what?

It starts beeping. There are no beeps until a bulb fails. I quite like the way that it monitors the brake lights too.

Another useful feature is the way that the fog lamps on the car are automatically turned off when the fog lamps on the trailer come on.

@MININUT I fitted a warning lamp on my Land Rover because I would never hear a buzzer over the background din.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My Mazda 6 had the system where the click and the internal indicator flasher (or flasher indicator?) both went at double speed if there was a problem.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Sid Rumpo said:
My Mazda 6 had the system where the click and the internal indicator flasher (or flasher indicator?) both went at double speed if there was a problem.

That what happens on my Chrysler.

I'm starting to wonder if I am the only one with genuine Kia towbar wiring. Either that or there must be several different types of Kia kit available. Otherwise, they would all behave in the same way.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe I am just dumb but not understanding whatexactlywhat should happen when I tow. With myset-upthe following happens.

<ul>[*]When I indicatethere'sa extra beep coming from the the back of the car in time with the indicators , have checked indicators on caravan and they are ALL working is this right or wrong?[*]When I brake theres no sound and have checked caravan and brake lights work fine[*]Fogs on caravan work when turned on on car[*]Lights come on when auto decides it needs to turn lights on[/list]Thats it really expect the question is should I get a beep from the indicators when they are working fine on caravan? Some say yes that tells you they are working but the Teckno says no , should only get beep on a fault?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes, the most fitted system is whereby there is an audible beep from where the buzzer is fitted (normaly at the rear) when the indicators Are working, there is not at the moment a law requiring that a warning light for anything else is required, exept for the obvious

·
Registered
399 Posts
MININUT said:
Yes, the most fitted system is whereby there is an audible beep from where the buzzer is fitted (normaly at the rear) when the indicators Are working, there is not at the moment a law requiring that a warning light for anything else is required, exept for the obvious

The buzzer is also there to remind the driver that the indicators are working, or are still indicating when they should have been cancelled.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Mininut for that but sure Teckno will say different as hes not getting a beep
not the end of the world either way as long as my indicators are working. Got 22mpg on the way home with the van so fair delighted. As I have said before on this forum you get a lot of car for your money with the new sportage more I use it the happier I am.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Been towing again today.

Yes, on theset-upon our Sportage you get a beep only when there is something wrong. For example, when I hitched up today and checked the lights, I got a beep when I touched the brake pedal. I got Mrs T to check and sure enough the trailer brake lights were not working. A quick wiggle of the plug and adapter sorted that and we were on our way.

The car tows really well although the restricted visibility out of the back is a bit of pain when you are trying reverse anunloaded trailer. It would be worse if I was a short arse.

·
Registered
399 Posts
No probs Toolpusher, glad your unit is top notch, oh a good return on the fuel while towing as well.I tow with a Sedona which has clocked around 27 - 28 while towing 300 odd miles on motorway.
I quite agree that you get your money's worth and more with Kia compared to most of the other manufacturers (a vehicle of similar dimension).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.