Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am new to the site and joined today as I am due to collect my 70 Plate
KIA SPORTAGE 1.6 CRDi 48V ISG 1, in a couple of weeks, the pic below is the same as my car and same colour which is White.

Kia Sportage.jpg

There are three things I would like to change on the car when I get it but just need some guidance with the insurance.

The first thing I would like to do is get the wheels that are on the car re power coated to Black Gloss to get rid of the silver.
f0b33d715da143ebb59c5bd5a53c148e.jpg KIA Black Wheel.jpg

When you go into the comparison sites and say yes to Modification it come up with two drop down boxes which are Category and Type, the category I selected was Wheels and Tyres, then I click on the Type drop down and the following shows up; Wheel Spacers, Alloy Wheels, Wheel Trims, Wider Tyres, Wider Wheels, then at the bottom it has other, I presume it would be other, can any one advise?

The second thing I would like to do is get the rear passenger doors and boot windows tinted, I think they are already tinted but not very dark, so on the comparison site I selected Accessories and then in the Type drop down I selected Tinted Windows, so OK with that one.

Kia-Sportage Window-Tinting.jpg

The last thing I would like to get done is the roof and wing mirrors wrapped in Black Gloss, so I presume I select Paintwork and Stickers in the category drop down box and in the type drop down it has the following Descale/Stickers, Side Stripes, Badges indicating increased performance, Non standard respray, Murals, Non standard paint work, and finally it has other, which one do I pick here please.

Wapped roof.jpg

If you have any questions please let me know.

Big John

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm not sure I'm in a position to advise on your specific points, but surely it would be worth a phone call to your Insurance Company rather than risk selecting the wrong drop-down option?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,312 Posts
Agree with the above. This is call a co time. Try giving the co from the Insurance section a call.

Surprised on the rear windows, as Kia are always pretty dark.

Having had a car with a black gloss roof.... Don't bother. When it's sunny your car becomes a oven, which even the A/C struggles with.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Pretty sure tints do no cost extra.

Cannot see why a coat of paint on the wheels would cost extra.

Wrap will almost certainly cost you more.

Rule 1 with insurance, if in doubt ring them. If you get it wrong it could cost you dear if you are involved in an accident.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Don't really understand why you'd paint the wheels black? Black wheels just essentially "disappear" and may as well not be alloys at all - be better just to buy steel wheels, sell your alloys and pocket a few £££ in the process if you want black wheels as all the design cues of the alloys just become invisible, plus would likely reduce your insurance premium as the value of steel wheels is considerably less.

·
Registered
963 Posts
We have a black roof, black mirrors caps, rear window tints and black wheels on the wifes white car and they make an otherwise "normal" car look great. It was a factory fitted pack and cost about £300 if my memory serves me right.

As pointed out by another poster I also worried about the black roof making the interior hot in summer but we have never had an issue. I guess that could be the dark rear tints helping. But even if it did get hot the A/C would have to be pretty rubbish not to cope, any dark couloured car would suffer and not just black.

Don't really understand why you'd paint the wheels black? Black wheels just essentially "disappear" and may as well not be alloys at all - be better just to buy steel wheels, sell your alloys and pocket a few £££ in the process if you want black wheels as all the design cues of the alloys just become invisible, plus would likely reduce your insurance premium as the value of steel wheels is considerably less.
Putting steel wheels on instead of alloys will not reduce your premiums (from winter tyre experience) and I can tell you that when we had a couple of steels damaged by a pothole they were not cheap for factory ones. It was a few years ago, probably about 2003 and the local authority agreed to pay for repairs but would not accept liability. Their insurers asked me to get quotes for the work which were 2 tyres, 2 wheels and a full geometry check. The steel wheels were quoted as £100 each, I was shocked. I had always fancied alloys on the car (the factory fit options when i bought it were stupid money) and asked if they would agree to me getting a set of 4 and making up any difference, they agreed there was no issue but confirming the maximum they would pay would be £200 for the wheels. Seem to remember the alloys were £60 each leaving me £40 to contribute.

Looked around a bought a nice set (same style as factory options) complete with tyres from an advert in a magazine (no internet then), made the car look great. Local main dealer did the geometry check (front toe out was huge) but no other issues.

Sent bill to insurers with a covering letter stating that the invoice from the wheel/tyre company was for 4 etc etc with the figure at the bottom they had previously agreed. Stunned when I got a cheque for the full amount I had spent, result.

As for black wheels "disappearing and looking like steels that is wrong. With alloys the calipers and discs are visible, with steels they are not, big difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for your reply's, I think we were going off tangent with the steel wheels.

I contacted one insurance company, I was told to add the Window Tinting, but because the wheels are manufactures wheels I don't need to tell them if I have them recoated a different colour.

Thanks Again

Big John

·
Registered
963 Posts
Thank you everyone for your reply's, I think we were going off tangent with the steel wheels.

I contacted one insurance company, I was told to add the Window Tinting, but because the wheels are manufactures wheels I don't need to tell them if I have them recoated a different colour.

Thanks Again

Big John
Have to agree that the suggestion made by the poster to replace alloys with steels was rather stupid.

Are they charging for the tints what about the wrap you were planning to fit?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have to agree that the suggestion made by the poster to replace alloys with steels was rather stupid.

I have decided to forget the wrap at the moment, I haven't told the missis about the wheels and tinting. 😕

·
Registered
361 Posts
Not really. Sell a nice set of alloy wheels for say £500.
Buy a set of steel wheels for £150
Save yourself the £300 refurb of alloy wheels to black.
You'll be better off by £650 and they will look pretty much the same.

Now if someone came along and offered me £650 for nothing, I think I'd bite their hands off.

Still think they'd make your insurance cheaper but even if it didn't - surely worth doing if you want black wheels?

·
Registered
963 Posts

Now if someone came along and offered me £650 for nothing, I think I'd bite their hands off.

Still think they'd make your insurance cheaper but even if it didn't - surely worth doing if you want black wheels?
And when you come to PX the car it will be down valued because all dealers will know it should have alloys. Any private punter with 1/2 a brain cell will know as well.

You might even find some traders/buyers walk away since its missing original equipment.

Won't be such a bargain then.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The same dealers will know the wheels are supposed to be silver and will need to factor in the cost of having them put back to silver... in all honesty - black wheels make no sense whatsoever.

·
Super Moderator
4,312 Posts
Powder coating wheels is a good idea, given the way Diamond Cut Alloys go.

Reactions: Turnup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

No there was no extra for the Tints but at least I have told them, I am leaving the wrapping for now. I will get it done at a later date.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not quite the look I am looking for,

20111209_104156.jpg

·
Registered
963 Posts
The same dealers will know the wheels are supposed to be silver and will need to factor in the cost of having them put back to silver... in all honesty - black wheels make no sense whatsoever.
Considering how fast Kia Diamond cut alloys look shabby I would have thought that a set of nicely finished black wheels would not affect the used value at all. If a dealer gave you the line that they would need refinishing back to OEM he would be talking bollocks. Even if the buyer wanted them refinishing before purchase it would only cost the dealer peanuts for a rattle can of silver that lasts a few weeks before falling off.

And wit regards to steel wheels have you ever looked at a set and seen how quick they rust. The paint they apply is wafer thin and normally matt. Why do this, simples, they are covered with nasty plastic trims, the ones we see at the side of the road.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts