Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based in Wales and just joined. 63 years of age and very used to large luxury cars.

I've just taken delivery of a new 2021 all-new model three days ago. In the UK the only diesel version we get is a seven seat 4wd in the middle trim called the '3'. Only rear camera, no head up display, no seat memory or cold ventilation and no sunroof. No Bose stereo either. Otherwise it has all the safety kit and equipment including steering heating, heated windscreen, and and more. Mine has done 250 miles so far and averages 38mpg. 40mpg+ is easily hit on flatter roads and longer journeys than my average and indeed I did about 45 miles today and hit 40mpg for the journey on some challenging roads. This is excellent for a car with this performance, size and weight in 4x4 form with only 250 miles on the clock total. I know from experience that diesel cars will improve by several mpg over the first 15,000 miles or 25,000kms. It is quieter and compares well in performance while the seats are more comfortable than my previous XC90 D5. It is actually more roomy inside in every row than the XC90 and costs about £15,000 less like for like. The rubber mats I kept from the XC90 fit almost perfectly except for being a couple of inches too small in every dimension, which is neither here nor there. As for the transmission I find it perfectly smooth during normal driving and exceptionally fast to shift, but necessarily sharper when thundering along with a heavy right foot.

It takes a while to fully understand the infotainment and control system logic but I think I'm getting the hang of it now. One thing I don't like is that the lane keeping assist is on by default when the engine is started. The button on the steering wheel toggles between this and auto-pilot assist [auto steering] with a short press and a long press switches either system off. However at every engine start it is active again and to limit the land keeping assist to a warning buzzer, rather than tugging the wheel, requires a dive into the settings and, again with every engine start it defaults to the steering-tugging mode. There may be a way of keeping it on the warning mode but I have yet to find it. Some models have a separate button on the dash for auto-steering as opposed to lane keeping assist, and that is what is in my manual. However my car only has the button on the steering wheel which toggles between these systems and enables them to be switched off, which may confuse some new drivers. I think Kia may have modified the controls to do away with the unnecessary dash button.

Can't post this in the relevant, almost empty forum, as I need privileges apparently.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Can't post this in the relevant, almost empty forum
Welcome to the forum, 'Sporty Joe'.

The Sorento has always been a decent choice without ever threatening the alleged premier class. I'm surprised you chose not to buy into the electric world at this time as thousands more are now eschewing the ic engine for full-blown battery-electric vehicles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum, 'Sporty Joe'.

The Sorento has always been a decent choice without ever threatening the alleged premier class. I'm surprised you chose not to buy into the electric world at this time as thousands more are now eschewing the ic engine for full-blown battery-electric vehicles.
Hello there.
Part of the reason I'm contract hiring this one, apart from it being cheaper than purchasing and depreciation for me over three years, is that the technology is advancing at such a fast pace. It might well be that my next car will be electric. Currently though I have several diesel vehicles in the small family business and I have my own fuel store on my yard, which is not uncommon around here, and which is very convenient.
I am delighted with the Sorento's Diesel engine and transmission, which are just as good as my previous twin turbo Volvo with the Polestar upgrade. I knew it was good from the test drive but since running it a couple of hundred miles, I'm convinced.
Should a diesel-hybrid been available, similar to what LR offer on the Discovery Sport, I would probably have gone for that if it was economically viable. As it is, from what I hear of people's experience with the petrol hybrid, I'm getting 8 to 10mpg better economy from the diesel at 38mpg average and 40 best so far. I've no doubt that this will improve further with use.
The only thing I miss on the diesel 3 model is driver's seat and mirror memory, because my wife is much shorter than I am. With a bit of luck she won't be driving it too often and will stick to our Honda CR-V.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Welcome.

(Think I've just moved your post about dash cam wiring to Main Message Centre as being a new model you won't get much help in the Sorrento forum from other owners for a while!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Based in Wales and just joined. 63 years of age and very used to large luxury cars.

I've just taken delivery of a new 2021 all-new model three days ago. In the UK the only diesel version we get is a seven seat 4wd in the middle trim called the '3'. Only rear camera, no head up display, no seat memory or cold ventilation and no sunroof. No Bose stereo either. Otherwise it has all the safety kit and equipment including steering heating, heated windscreen, and and more. Mine has done 250 miles so far and averages 38mpg. 40mpg+ is easily hit on flatter roads and longer journeys than my average and indeed I did about 45 miles today and hit 40mpg for the journey on some challenging roads. This is excellent for a car with this performance, size and weight in 4x4 form with only 250 miles on the clock total. I know from experience that diesel cars will improve by several mpg over the first 15,000 miles or 25,000kms. It is quieter and compares well in performance while the seats are more comfortable than my previous XC90 D5. It is actually more roomy inside in every row than the XC90 and costs about £15,000 less like for like. The rubber mats I kept from the XC90 fit almost perfectly except for being a couple of inches too small in every dimension, which is neither here nor there. As for the transmission I find it perfectly smooth during normal driving and exceptionally fast to shift, but necessarily sharper when thundering along with a heavy right foot.

It takes a while to fully understand the infotainment and control system logic but I think I'm getting the hang of it now. One thing I don't like is that the lane keeping assist is on by default when the engine is started. The button on the steering wheel toggles between this and auto-pilot assist [auto steering] with a short press and a long press switches either system off. However at every engine start it is active again and to limit the land keeping assist to a warning buzzer, rather than tugging the wheel, requires a dive into the settings and, again with every engine start it defaults to the steering-tugging mode. There may be a way of keeping it on the warning mode but I have yet to find it. Some models have a separate button on the dash for auto-steering as opposed to lane keeping assist, and that is what is in my manual. However my car only has the button on the steering wheel which toggles between these systems and enables them to be switched off, which may confuse some new drivers. I think Kia may have modified the controls to do away with the unnecessary dash button.

Can't post this in the relevant, almost empty forum, as I need privileges apparently.
Hi Joe, I have the 2 hybrid, if you sus out turning the lane assist off let me know. It’s a pain. Over 1100 miles 41mpg. V pleased with it so far in general, taking some adjusting after 20 years driving diesel cars. Miss the low down pull of a diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Joe, I have the 2 hybrid, if you sus out turning the lane assist off let me know. It’s a pain. Over 1100 miles 41mpg. V pleased with it so far in general, taking some adjusting after 20 years driving diesel cars. Miss the low down pull of a diesel.

It is a pain indeed. However it is dead easy to shut off once you know how. Unfortunately the book is not clear on this.

After every cold start this comes on by default, as you know. What you do is press the corresponding button on the steering wheel, holding it down for three seconds. This switches the lane assist off.

Just a tap of the button switches the auto steering system on, which is not needed in my locality. Indeed neither system is wanted very often.

There is an alternative to switching the active lane assist off and that is found deep in the infotainment screen. This switches the steering assist off but retains the alarm. Unfortunately on a cold start it again defaults to the steering tugging mode, which makes finding the setting not worth the effort. Far easier to switch the system off using the steering button.

In my manual, the button is split into two separate buttons, one on the wheel and one on the pad to the right of the wheel, on the dash. No idea what models get that arrangement but it’s not mine.

These systems being on by default is to get the highest safety and economy ratings, I’m sure. Harry Metcalfe tested a new Ferrari on YouTube yesterday and he had the lane assist buzzer driving him bonkers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is a pain indeed. However it is dead easy to shut off once you know how. Unfortunately the book is not clear on this.

After every cold start this comes on by default, as you know. What you do is press the corresponding button on the steering wheel, holding it down for three seconds. This switches the lane assist off.

Just a tap of the button switches the auto steering system on, which is not needed in my locality. Indeed neither system is wanted very often.

There is an alternative to switching the active lane assist off and that is found deep in the infotainment screen. This switches the steering assist off but retains the alarm. Unfortunately on a cold start it again defaults to the steering tugging mode, which makes finding the setting not worth the effort. Far easier to switch the system off using the steering button.

In my manual, the button is split into two separate buttons, one on the wheel and one on the pad to the right of the wheel, on the dash. No idea what models get that arrangement but it’s not mine.

These systems being on by default is to get the highest safety and economy ratings, I’m sure. Harry Metcalfe tested a new Ferrari on YouTube yesterday and he had the lane assist buzzer driving him bonkers.
Thanks Joe, i will put into practice. The steering system is really good, I used it on Saturday on a longer trip, best I have come across yet. Very accurate and relaxing on a long journey.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Joe, i will put into practice. The steering system is really good, I used it on Saturday on a longer trip, best I have come across yet. Very accurate and relaxing on a long journey.

Yes, I think it is even better than Volvo’s, but we don’t want the steering tugging lane assist mode to default on at every cold start.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, I think it is even better than Volvo’s, but we don’t want the steering tugging lane assist mode to default on at every cold start.
Agreed. In the manual, it says that there is a theme B for the instrument cluster, it looks like an horizon. Do you know how to activate this? I am begging to think it isn’t on 2 spec, although the manual suggests it is! Any Ideas?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed. In the manual, it says that there is a theme B for the instrument cluster, it looks like an horizon. Do you know how to activate this? I am begging to think it isn’t on 2 spec, although the manual suggests it is! Any Ideas?

Ooh crikey. It is on the 3 and I've found it once or twice but without being in the car and tinkering, I've no idea how to find it again. When I'm in the car again I'll have a look.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.