Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening ladies and gents,

I have just purchased a 58 (Jan registered) Pro_C'eed 2 from Evans Halshaw. Its done 21 odd k.

I have a few issues with the car and was just wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar or even whether it was just something that I have to get used to with Kia (I have always driven Fords in the past).

1) Im not convinced that the steering is right. I have taken it back to the dealer twice and both times, they have checked the tracking and said that it is perfect. Basically, if I let go of the steering wheel, the car gradually veers to the left. If I hold the steering wheel dead straight, the car veers to the right. Its not a hard pull, just a slight veering. The steering in general seems very light but this could just be me getting used to Kia.

2) There is a vibration coming from the glove box. It is not constant and more obvious on "rough" roads. It is the glove box itself because I have opened the door and held it and the noise/vibration stopped.

3) So I purchased my Kia at 21, 124 miles. It was first registered in January 2009 and had its first service done on 26/4/10 at 9400 miles. The second service was done on 7/9/11 at 21, 063 miles (just before I bought it). To keep the 7 year warranty active, will I need to get the car serviced again in January - the three year anniversary of the registration - despite the service only just being done?

Thanks in advance for you help,

Ross

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hi and welcome. Petrol or oil burner? I'm not sure if a 58 plate gets the 7 yearwarranty, it might be only 5 years. Not sure about the glove box noise. What tyres have you got? Are the pressures right??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BanditGT said:
Hi and welcome. Petrol or oil burner? I'm not sure if a 58 plate gets the 7 yearwarranty, it might be only 5 years. Not sure about the glove box noise. What tyres have you got? Are the pressures right??
Thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated.

Sorry, its a 1.6 petrol.

I got a Warranty and Service Book and it talks about the 7 year warranty so I presume that I am covered.

The tyres are all brand new and, according to the dealer's service team, all at the right pressure. They seemed to think it was the clamber(?) of the road that was causing it. All roads? Hmmmmm.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have the very same problem with my proceed pulling to the left. Was told to the dealer nothing wrong and all was in peramiters. Had it laser alignment checked and it was miles out on the toe in. Its helped a little but it's still pulling loads to be honest but cost me £35 all the same which the dealer will be reimbursing me...if they like it or not! . But yeah...I have the exact same thing. Do you feel as though your constantly holding it straight or correcting it all the time? Also check that when your sat in the car, do you feel central to the dash. I always feel as though the seat is to far to the centre line of the car, or the dash is facing outwards. Mine 850miles old and have noticed to many little niggles like the vibration and notchy gearbox that are starting to play heavy on my mind after having a very expensive to repair previous car. Yes it's under warranty but it's not the point.

Oh and that's what I got told about the road camber....take them down to tesco's or ASDA car park and let them drive it...and ask for an explanation! It's not the road at all, I even drove on the opposite side when the roads were clear to test the theory before I even took it back to Kia Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ross_TPO said:
BanditGT said:
Thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated.

Sorry, its a 1.6 petrol.

I got a Warranty and Service Book and it talks about the 7 year warranty so I presume that I am covered.

The tyres are all brand new and, according to the dealer's service team, all at the right pressure. They seemed to think it was the clamber(?) of the road that was causing it. All roads? Hmmmmm.

Ok cool that you get the remainder of the 7 year warranty. I was gunna suggest getting a wheel alignment done. Another thing is try putting the front on the back, that worked for me on my old MKII SPAM GTi about a million years ago LOL.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RichieD76 said:
I have the very same problem with my proceed pulling to the left. Was told to the dealer nothing wrong and all was in peramiters. Had it laser alignment checked and it was miles out on the toe in. Its helped a little but it's still pulling loads to be honest but cost me £35 all the same which the dealer will be reimbursing me...if they like it or not! . But yeah...I have the exact same thing. Do you feel as though your constantly holding it straight or correcting it all the time? Also check that when your sat in the car, do you feel central to the dash. I always feel as though the seat is to far to the centre line of the car, or the dash is facing outwards. Mine 850miles old and have noticed to many little niggles like the vibration and notchy gearbox that are starting to play heavy on my mind after having a very expensive to repair previous car. Yes it's under warranty but it's not the point.

Oh and that's what I got told about the road camber....take them down to tesco's or ASDA car park and let them drive it...and ask for an explanation! It's not the road at all, I even drove on the opposite side when the roads were clear to test the theory before I even took it back to Kia
Is this something that we just need to live with then? Or is it something that can be fixed? I notice it most on motorways when I have taken my hands off the steering wheel to check and it veers to the left. Maybe its just me but a car should go in a straight line when you take your hands off the steering wheel? To go straight, the steering wheel needs to be turned ever so slightly to the left. If I hold the wheel bang in the middle (using the column as a guage), it veers to the right.

Are you also experiencing the glove box vibration?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BanditGT said:
Ok cool that you get the remainder of the 7 year warranty. I was gunna suggest getting a wheel alignment done. Another thing is try putting the front on the back, that worked for me on my old MKII SPAM GTi about a million years ago LOL.
Yeah man, Ive got the remaining four years. Do you know much about the warranty (see my question in the original post, if you would be so kind)?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yeah I have it slightly to the left to go straight. I'll take a photo of the alignment test and post it in the morning. The way I see it is, it's something I'll have to live with untill I have chance to fax over the invoice & alignment sheet to the dealer for reimbursement as they didn't seam to care so I proved something was wrong. And then I'll be asking them to sort the root of the problem. Thing is there's something not quite right as there's a long list of problem solving tips for poor steering centralisation on kia's technical site but only for the ceed.. So maybe this is a common problem the dealers don't like fixing... Will soon find out!Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RichieD76 said:
Yeah I have it slightly to the left to go straight. I'll take a photo of the alignment test and post it in the morning. The way I see it is, it's something I'll have to live with untill I have chance to fax over the invoice & alignment sheet to the dealer for reimbursement as they didn't seam to care so I proved something was wrong. And then I'll be asking them to sort the root of the problem. Thing is there's something not quite right as there's a long list of problem solving tips for poor steering centralisation on kia's technical site but only for the ceed.. So maybe this is a common problem the dealers don't like fixing... Will soon find out!
It sounds like we have a very similar problem then.

I know there is something not quite right but Evans Halshaw dont want to know. As far as they are concerned, the alignment is perfect and therefore thats all they can check.

Can you keep me up to date with any info you find out please?

It would be good to know if anyone else has a similar problem also.

·
Registered
536 Posts

So the top pics the before...Showing theleft side front was out of parameter but 0.03 degrees which isn't allot...but regardless, wasn't within parameters as per dealer said...obviously never checked. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
And below was the after. What'ssurprising is the steer ahead out by 0.03 degrees. On a road car I can't see this being allot but it's still out regardless. I've not a huge knowledge of road car set ups but the figures seem strange to me. <O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
What I'm most pleased about it that the alignment is spot on, the wheels are perfect so I can't be accused of kerbing it as per when I rang up about the problem the first time. The pulling to the left still exists so now it's down to the dealer to find the source of the problem.

As for others having the problemi'veseen a pro_ceed 4 on ebayonly 1900 miles old and on the interiour shots the steering wheel is resting to the left. might be coincedence i dont know.

and before anyone says the alignment test is based on a 2006, i checked kias global service way and the suspension geometry is the same for the ceed-pro_ceed and SW on both the 2006 model all the way upto the current one. <O:p></O:p>

Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
887 Posts
Richie, if I'm reading right, to go striaght you have to have a little bit of left on?

That would concur with you alignment print out, your steer ahead is to the right a touch, you are correcting by hanging left.
Although everything is within limits, it all needs tweaking, imho, if it was my car i'd get front toe centralised, and rear camber evened up, and if still out a bit after camber, adjust rear toe.

·
Registered
536 Posts
well its strange, it needs to be held straight (car centerline)because the car centers (the steering wheel) slightly to the left. when you let go of the wheel it centers itself again (to the left) and drives left. so your constantly holding the wheel with right pressure. Pretty much what i was thinking about the set up although i would before changing anything check the steering wheel was centered before the alignment was done. changing the toe ectcan changeackermann/anti ackermann although i dont believe the cars steeringdesigned this way as i havent looked at the uprights personally but dont want to wear the tires.It sounds strange but its as though the wheel has been put on one spline overone wayaswellbecause even at a stop on flat ground the well rests about 5 degrees to the left. which if this alighnment test it to believed....makes it even more confusing Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ross_TPO said:
3) So I purchased my Kia at 21, 124 miles. It was first registered in January 2009 and had its first service done on 26/4/10 at 9400 miles. The second service was done on 7/9/11 at 21, 063 miles (just before I bought it). To keep the 7 year warranty active, will I need to get the car serviced again in January - the three year anniversary of the registration - despite the service only just being done?
All Ceed have 7 year warranty as they introduced the warranty with this model. For the warranty to remain valid it must be serviced annually or when it hits the mileage interval whichever is first. So in your case:

Registered Jan 09

1st service Jan 10 (actual April 10)
2nd Service Jan 11 (actual Sept 11)
3rd Service Jan 12

Looks like the previous owner was getting it serviced on a mileage rather than time basis.

I would phone KIA UK and ask them to clarify when the next service would be and if the fact that both have been 'late' so far will have any effect. the customer services number is on their site and they are friendly enough.

Edited by: KTF

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RichieD76 said:
well its strange, it needs to be held straight (car centerline)because the car centers (the steering wheel) slightly to the left. when you let go of the wheel it centers itself again (to the left) and drives left. so your constantly holding the wheel with right pressure.
Thats exactly the same problem as I am having. Do you think it is worth getting the alignment done again at another garage? I mean, did it make a noticeable difference? Have you ever felt that the rear end of the car is sliding? I dont think it actually is but I sometimes get the feeling that it is - if that makes sense?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
KTF said:
All Ceed have 7 year warranty as they introduced the warranty with this model. For the warranty to remain valid it must be serviced annually or when it hits the mileage interval whichever is first. So in your case:

Registered Jan 09

1st service Jan 10 (actual April 10)
2nd Service Jan 11 (actual Sept 11)
3rd Service Jan 12

Looks like the previous owner was getting it serviced on a mileage rather than time basis.

I would phone KIA UK and ask them to clarify when the next service would be and if the fact that both have been 'late' so far will have any effect. the customer services number is on their site and they are friendly enough.
Thanks for that. I have sent an email to Kia so that I have their response in writing. Its been two or three days now so hopefully they do reply to me.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Ross_TPO said:
RichieD76 said:
well its strange, it needs to be held straight (car centerline) because the car centers (the steering wheel) slightly to the left. when you let go of the wheel it centers itself again (to the left) and drives left. so your constantly holding the wheel with right pressure.
Thats exactly the same problem as I am having. Do you think it is worth getting the alignment done again at another garage? I mean, did it make a noticeable difference? Have you ever felt that the rear end of the car is sliding? I dont think it actually is but I sometimes get the feeling that it is - if that makes sense?
Never felt the rear sliding to be honest. I think that's an un welcome felling the electric power steering gives. Especially when turning and breaking hard, the rear feels very light but might be worth having the tire pressures checked. As far as alighnment, yeah have it checked but just be sure the dealer will reimburse you the charge for having it put right ( the reason I say this, is because the kia dealer I went to, to sort the problem and look it over, didn't give a ***k and were quick to send me packing) but as far as changing the way in which the steering pulls its only changed VERY slightly. still dangerously pulls to the left and all the camber excuses wear pretty thin when it still happens while driving on the opposite camber and dead flat car parks. Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RichieD76 said:
Never felt the rear sliding to be honest. I think that's an un welcome felling the electric power steering gives. Especially when turning and breaking hard, the rear feels very light but might be worth having the tire pressures checked. As far as alighnment, yeah have it checked but just be sure the dealer will reimburse you the charge for having it put right ( the reason I say this, is because the kia dealer I went to, to sort the problem and look it over, didn't give a ***k and were quick to send me packing) but as far as changing the way in which the steering pulls its only changed VERY slightly. still dangerously pulls to the left and all the camber excuses wear pretty thin when it still happens while driving on the opposite camber and dead flat car parks.
Ive booked my car into a garage next week to get the problem looked at. If they turn round and say that it is fine then fair enough but Im pretty sure they will find something. I think the issue is the rear drivers side wheel area. I guess I'll get need to wait and see.

I'll keep you informed anyway.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Cheers. Been looking on kia's technical site and even though the car is new they know they have problems eventually. Worn lower wishbone socket, worn track rod or poor alighnment are some of the possiable reasons they give but in all fairness all cars would give the same diagnosis to a problem like ours. I had a reall good look at the steering rack the other day and after speaking to a friend who works for Mclaren we were wondering if it could be torque induced from the gearbox OR a hydraulic problem down to a centrifugal or vaned pump having more of powerfull movement in one direction. Like torque roll of a plane propeller.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts