Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I heard a knocking today on my Sportswagon 16 plate. Assumed the worse so thought I’d check levels. Popped the bonnet to check oil (I got the car from RRG end of April) firstly just to make sure there wasn’t anything amiss in there. Found the oil level a good 1-1.5cm (very roughly) above the Full mark (hole). Seeing as though this was allegedly given a service pre collection date I fail to see how the oil level would be so high. As you can see from the pics it’s way above where it should be. And that’s from an Approved Kia Dealership. Not the first issue I’ve had with them.
Turns out it wasn’t engine based the noise I heard. Thinking it was either a wheel or maybe something loose underneath the car somewhere that I’ll need to have a further look into as soon as I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Seeing as though this was allegedly given a service pre collection date I fail to see how the oil level would be so high. As you can see from the pics it’s way above where it should be. And that’s from an Approved Kia Dealership. Not the first issue I’ve had with them.
I hope you complained about it, especially as you claim to have had a previous issue or issues with that dealer.

While I'm all for naming and shaming dealerships which provide poor service, I would always give a dealer the opportunity to respond to a complaint. Did you receive any response?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've done over 6,000 miles (diesel) from new and my engine oil is nowhere near as black as that!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As per usual they don’t answer the phone. I’ve left a message with the voicemail for service but I’m not holding my breath on a call back. As to when it was last serviced, it was supposedly serviced just prior to me picking the car up at the end of April. I’ve not touched the oil as like most having just had the service done I’m thinking there shouldn’t be anything to check and especially over filling by a country mile

·
Registered
349 Posts
The oil does change quickly if they do like most garages and suck it out instead of drain from sump plug. Now my car is out of warranty I go to my local independent garage and get it engine flushed and drained via sump plug, makes such a different to the oil and looks pretty good when it gets replaced after 9000 miles (1 yr).
If you look on this site it seems nearly every garage & model suffer with over filling, due to time bonus and not waiting for oil to drain to sump.

·
Super Moderator
2,955 Posts
it was supposedly serviced just prior to me picking the car up at the end of April. I’ve not touched the oil as like most having just had the service done I’m thinking there shouldn’t be anything to check and especially over filling by a country mile
Just to confirm that you have not checked the oil level in 3 months :surprise:

What sort of trips do you do & what is the mileage on the car?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Standard for most dealers as they mostly use a suck out and refill with prescribed amount for the model due to time pressures. Unfortunately the prescribed amount seems to be for after a drain rather than a suck (which tends to remove a few 100ml more).
It really isn't rocket science for a manufacturer to do a suck amount and a drain amount but they don't and the result is over fill.
Generally it doesn't matter much unless the overfill is excessive by a rushed suck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I normally do about 10 miles a day so no I haven’t checked the oil since buying it. But there again in 3 years of owning a 65 plate Polo I never went under the bonnet once and never had any issues with that. I tend to believe that using an authorised dealer that they’ll do a good job so three months after a service it shouldn’t need checking. It’s currently just gone over 49k

·
Registered
6 Posts
As your car is 3 years old and a Diesel it may well have had a .5 inspection service where the oil and filter are not changed, just checked. Its worth checking your paper work, you should have been given a white inspection tick sheet with any parts used at the bottom on the left hand side.

Your high oil level need checking however as it may be a sign it putting fuel into the sump during DPF regens, I think there is a logic improvement update for this issue.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Its good practice to do regular oil and water checks , it can save you a lot of grief catching a fault before it leaves you stranded somewhere.:sad: It takes 5 mins or less to check if a level goes down or in this case up, you can get help at your convenience and save yourself a breakdown and money.:smile: your choice of course! (no offence intended)

·
Registered
384 Posts
I normally do about 10 miles a day so no I haven’t checked the oil since buying it. But there again in 3 years of owning a 65 plate Polo I never went under the bonnet once and never had any issues with that. I tend to believe that using an authorised dealer that they’ll do a good job so three months after a service it shouldn’t need checking. It’s currently just gone over 49k
:facepalm::cuckoo:

·
Registered
531 Posts
These are our local dealer. We purchased our kia from Bury almost 7 years ago. Gone back in for various warranty jobs over the years. Everything has been fixed eventually maybe not on the first visit and I've had to diagnose an odd issue or two myself.

It ended on a sour note as last year they replaced leaky injector seals and couldn't get the car started. They thought they had hydralocked the engine and then snapped a glow plug investigating further.

We eventually got the car back after around 2 months of using a hire car provided through kia UK the car under went a full strip down and top end rebuild.

Less than a year/10k later. The injector seals, sump and turbo return oil pipe are leaking. Been back in twice to be told its normal for a engine this mileage (90k) to have leaks.

Its only kia UK persistence in trying to rectify the problem which means we go to look at a new rio in next couple of days. But I'll be spending my 15k at a different dealership

Staff really irritated me there. Gavin was very quick to demonstrate he knew what he was talking about to point out to my missus the leaks were just part of the cars age but as soon as I went in having worked with cars as my job for last 15 years. All of a sudden he didn't have any mechanical knowledge and he was just a service advisor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts