Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forums so bare with me!

I have aquired a 55 plate 70k rio crdi lx, from fleebay!

Im really impressed with the car, i bought it cheap it goes very well, its doing approx 100 miles to £10 worth of diesel at £1.18 per ltr.

But it has a couple of problems i would like to resolve, but need a little help!

the gearbox is notchy until the car warms up, its worse when the car is cold, the gear box gets slicker as the car warms up but remains a little tough between 2nd and 1st.

Puff of blue smoke when first started in the morning.

Hanbrake seems a little weak, pads perhaps?

Front suspension knocks a bit, mainly from the passenger side.

Any one had any simular problems?

Overall im really impressed with the car, none of the problems are getting any worse and im very pleased with my ebay purchess!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Shocking and welcome to the forum.
Have a full service done by a Kia dealer, you will hopefully get a good report of the car, and it may fix some of the problems?

At least you will know where you stand with your new motor!

·
Registered
328 Posts
congrats on your purchase.
I would also recommend a service.

The 2nd gear on the Rios are all a bit notchy, less so when warmed up.
I have no idea why, but I have driven a few diesel Rio's now and they are all the same.

·
Registered
662 Posts
gear boxes feel knotchy due to the very strong detent springs they used on the gears, front suspension knock will be anti roll bar link or shockabsorber get the garage to disconnect the link and then try again handbrake is just adjustment, blue smoke is unusual get a service done with quality oil and then see what happens if it still smokes get the glowplugs checked
happy driving

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great and thanks, i think i may be able to solve most of the problems athough i think a main dealer visit may be needed at some point!
Thanks for reassuring me about the gearbox, i think mine is fine! Its feels very precise so I'm going to leave it alone!

I have changed the oil to a fully sth 10/40, the smoke at cold start up seems to be getting better over time.

I checked the front end of the car this evening, the passenger inner wheel arch has snapped into about 4 Pisces and is rattling about, doh! It may be that simple! I may remove it and drive the car about for a bit and see if it makes a difference.

One thing i have noticed is that there is not a Haynes manual for the car, does anyone know of a good repair/service manual for the Rio crdi? i managed to get on to a web site with technical data but i think it was aimed at the America/Canadian market where they don't sell the crdi.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the knocking problem turned out to be,

a)n/s wheel arch lining damaged.

b) n/s drop link damaged.

Gear box still seems fine and has losened up a bit, the car was sat for 4 months before i bought it!

New f/s oil seems to have sorted the smoke at start up problem.

All fixed, still looking for a service manual if anyone comes across one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts