Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was thinking of buying a Kia Ceed this January, especially after it got the number one spot in the JD Power survey in 2010.

Fast forward to the same survey in 2011 and the Ceed has plummeted to 46th place for owner satisfatction.

Can anyone suggest why this is so and reassure me that I'm not buying a pig?

Cheers,

Dundriving

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,227 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
and i wouldn't even look in Auto car...They havent got a F~~king clue. they gave the pro_ceed two stars and the VW passat (my old car) 4! Yet in every VW forum and even on www.HonestJohn.co.uk the passat gets such a bad press they openly tell consumers to AVOID it...the passat was a heap of crap that i will regret buying for the rest of my life...the pro_ceed i will not. Just remeber that the JD power survey is consumer based...BUT how may consumers have they polled for every car? think of how manySPAM or taxi drivingscoda Octaivaownersin comparison to ceed owners there are. all it takes is one bad review and it takes the average score down. The biggest stigma is that people see the 7yr warranty and think it wont break in7yrs..! Everything breaks it just means kia wont rape your wallet inyears 4,5,6 &7 likeother manufactures.

I mean look on here for instance...i would say 95% of people join a forum to complain or to get help (just as you have) Unless your a propper fanatic and proud owneror a discruntled buyer, chances are you couldnt care less about entering the JD power survey.

Example.. www.honestjohn.co.uk

VW passat good points=page or more......bad points=2 or more pages worth

Kia procced good points=page and half.....bad points= NOT A SINGLE COMMENT!!!

says it all to me. but for christ sake...your the owner. dont let a jorno with star ratings or %'s decide...get down to the dealer and make your own mind up...
Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I would always look at honestjohn before changing cars.
Reviews can be a bit up and down, I've never heard a bad thing about KIA's recently, loads of awards etc across the range.

Some people join this forum for help with faults and problems where as others have a trouble free time .... I'm a huge KIA convert now, I recommend mine all the time to mates.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Good car the Passat cough cough.

I'm on the Seat forum too and the complaints guys have with the Leon FR is shocking.
In all honesty the Rio 1.5 diesel would probably have been more reliable than my current Leon TDI in the long run but I fancied a change and had always an eye for the Leons. I never had any problems with the Rio in the 2 and half years I owned it. But I have got to say I do prefer my Leon for build quality and that solid feel and great handling.
Getting back to Kias the 7 year warranty is great but its ok if Kia honour it and some of the stories on this forum is people are having a bit of hassle getting Kia to do things. This could be down to unhelpful dealers and being unlucky with who you get on the phone at Kia customer services. Its ok giving cars big warranties but if the maker does not fullfil it, it is worthless.
Even tho' I am happy with my Leon I would certainly buy a Kia again in the future if price and model options were to my taste.

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yeah I agree with you Davy. It think one area Kia maybe lacking is dealer support. And as Drakey said above people join to sort minor problems, but also this forum has a dealer review section which is helpful. I drove over 30miles away when I have a Kia dealer up the road. Just because I wanted a dealer with a good reputation and one that had a proven record of happy customers. I think if your happy with the car...shop about for the dealer...google there name ect and try find out more info. But hurry, VAT free deals end on the ceed soon not sure exactly but it's not far away

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think KIA are certainly selling a lot of cars of the back of the 7 year warranty, it was certainly the deciding factor for me. However if in a few years time complaints of not honouring this warranty become widespread I would expect Kia's reputation to be back where they started, a cheap & nasty korean rust bucket, which would no doubt kill their sales figures. I think the trouble will start when the more unhelpful dealers or Kia take it upon themselves to decide that pretty much everything on the car is a servicable item & therefore not covered under warranty
Time will tell

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

Just to clarify a few points.

The JD Power survey is a survey of Kia Ceed owners which makes the results so relevant.

The Ceed has dropped from 1st in it's group last yearto 9th in 2011 and to 46th overall. The comments from ownerswere quoted as, 'A long list of gripes include mechanical problems with the brakes, handbrake, wipers and door locks. The cost of repairs was also singled outfor complaint among otherwise strong running costs. Alsoowners weren't happyabout the low quality materials used in the interior.'

Frankly, I'm worried.

Dundriving

·
Registered
245 Posts
Personally I don't think you can buy a car on the strength of a survey alone. Whatever the survey.

I did loads of research and comparisons before buying my Ceed, and in the end the Ceed was right for ME! Not what some reviewer had concluded.

from the various sources I used, I found WhatCar to be a good balanced comparison of models and they have a good roundup of each models plus and minus points. But whichever car you look at they still have a list of negative points! So take it with a pinch of salt.

If you rely purely on articles, awards and reviews you would never buy a new car!!! Nothing would ever be perfect.

For me, I concluded the Cee'd had the lowest running costs, lowest cost to own for the long term (the 7 year warranty counters out the not so good resale values in my opinion), best spec for the money, best looking for the money, met my needs practically - size, luggage space, comfort etc. And ultimately all round Value for Money, especially with the cracking deals Kia was running on a new car.

WhatCar in particular summarise the Ceed as 'Not a match for the class leaders to drive, but one of the best to buy and own. A fine ownership proposition' and that works for me.

If a car makes it onto YOUR PERSONAL shortist - go to a dealers and experience the car and see if it meets YOUR criteria.

I totally agree with previous comments that one of the negative points could be Kia dealerships - I haven't found them to be much good. I live within a mile of one, but they were so useless I travelled 12 miles to the next nearest dealer, who were much better. I ordered my new car from them, but they haven't been without their own niggling faults. (they must have cheap phone bills, as they never call you!!! he he)

I have read that Kia are taking efforts to improve the dealership experience and I really hope they do.

·
Registered
226 Posts
OK lets analyse this:

'A long list of gripes include mechanical problems with the brakes, handbrake, wipers and door locks. The cost of repairs was also singled outfor complaint among otherwise strong running costs. Alsoowners weren't happyabout the low quality materials used in the interior.'

Who on here has had any problems like this? This looks made-up and invented.

Brakes come up for discussion some time ago, especially poor quality disks from new.

But I dont recall anything else.

Cost of repairs? That must be non-warranty repairs then, so thats service items is it? Why wernt the repairs covered by the warranty? They dont say.

What does "strong" running costs mean? Thats an unusual choice of words, "high" I would except but "strong"? What the hell does that mean? Do they use that terminology elsewhere in the report?

I would suggest that the so-called "low quality" materials will still be well and truly in-place and functioning after 10 years unlike some other cars.

Personally I'd treat this review with scepticism.

Honest John is, well, more honest and bang-on on reviews of cars Ive owned.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Top gear magazine's review of the Kia Ceed, SW estate and Pro_ceed ....and I quote
"supposed to be a rival to the Focus, but the handsome reasonably priced hatchback Cee'd works so well the SPAM should be looking over its shoulder"
"TG CHOICE: Go for the 1.6 diesel in a high spec and calm colour and revel in the extras and seven year warranty...SPAM? What SPAM?

In the ratings the Mazda 3, Lexus IS, Pug 207 & 308, Seat Leon, Auris and Citroen C4 ALL score LESS that the Cee'd. The Astra, Focus and SPAM all score slightly better but the equivalent spec Astra to the pro_ceed 4 is £4000 more at RRP........and I got mine 3k less than RRP..while vauxhall won't budge on the price. I tried when I found out I was having to wait 6weeks for my pro. Looking back now, waiting thoes 6weeks was the best thing I ever did.Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
536 Posts
NOTE TO MODERATORS....WHY THE HELL DOES THE WORD G O L F PRESENT ITSELF AS SPAM?????

·
Registered
245 Posts
Forgot to mention, The other thing that gave me confidence in Kia, was that my sister bought a brand new Picanto back in 2004. That was before they offered the 7 year warranty. She still has it, it is now 7 going on 8 and still driving just fine.

She has had a couple of minor problems along the way (as you would with any car) but nothing serious or costly. Therefore I have every confidence that a new Kia will last the long term.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Magazines and reviews of new cars generally assume a buyer will keep their car for 3 years (hence 3 year pcp plans and the like). Over a 3 year replacementcycle,when compared to other hatches,the Ceed (in my opinion)is less attractive apart from being cheaper initially. BUT Kia have rewritten the rule book with a potential 7 year replacement cycle, and if you compare any other hatch over this period the Kia wins hands down.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
RichieD76 said:
NOTE TO MODERATORS....WHY THE HELL DOES THE WORD G O L F PRESENT ITSELF AS SPAM?????
Cos a while back someone was flooding the forum with advertising G O L F ing products on here. Hung drawn an quartered he was but I did hear him shout freedom near his end

Edited by: Dan

·
Registered
80 Posts
My Ceed SW CRDi 2008 is an excellent car and after 27000 miles I still love it.I don't recall owning a car for so long previously.

BUT

Fuel consumptionis poor (34 mpg local, 45 mpg motorway) Used to be better but Dealer unable to offer a cure.

Dealer support poor.

They don't seem to like answering the phone.

They never ever ever ring back as promised. I am still waiting for a call regarding corrosion on roof rails and whether they are covered by warranty or classed as trim and not covered. Now about 6 weeks since they promised to ring.

Kia UK support diabolical.

I have had a couple of problems that should have been solved easily but took approx 41 days of car being of the road before being cured.

I told them what one of the problems was but this was poo poo'd by both dealer and Kia UK. Pleased to say I was right and a set of injecters cured the fault. This took 12 months to sort.

Second fault was cruise not working after a service. This turned out to be a fault in downloaded software (Kia UK adamant that software was correct, but could not offer a cure) Finally cured by a Kia UK Technician trainer who happened to visit the dealers and knew how to tweak the software.

Keep thinking of changing but do really like the car. But because of lack of confidece in Dealer and Kia UK, I will not be buying another Kia.

·
Registered
245 Posts
lovemysportywagon said:
MyDealer support poor.
They don't seem to like answering the phone.

They never ever ever ring back as promised.
Totally agree with you, the dealer support / customer service needs a big kick up the backside.

1) They take ages to answer the phone

2) They never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever ring you back when they say they will. You have to chase them every time!

·
Registered
226 Posts
By comparison, my dealer always answers the phone everytime I ring and, if no service person is there sales answer and will take a message and service will call me back when they get in.
Service have always rung me back whenever they said they would.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts