Kia Owners Club Forum banner

ITS HERE!

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  big_boz 
#1 ·
After a lengthy 13 week wait my Rio 3 1.4CRDI is here.

First impressions are:-
<ul>[*]Not having driven a 1.4 diesel prior to ordering i was getting a little worried about the numerous negative comments on here...but.....its all nonsense, the Engine is VERY quiet, and behaves far more like a Petrol than a small diesel. There is plenty of torque but its a little higher in the rev range than you would expect from a derv car. Its a cracking little engine andindicativelyseems to be doing well up in the 50's. 6th seems to be pointless below 65 and unless you are on the flat or going downhill the dash is telling me to change down to 5th.[*]Not having heard the hi-fi i was a little worried, but again, its not bad. plenty of bass and decent clarity, if not as good as the Bose in my current A4, but not bad at all. Although the rear speakers are for fill only.[*]Bluetooth works very well phone wise, seems very clear and the mic on the roof is very clear. The music streaming is a littledisappointingin that on my HTC desire all i can do is pause the current track. The phone book is a bit annoying though as you cant scroll through the entries from the wheel, you have to use the buttons on the dash. Also it does not appear possible to download tunes from phone to car.,[*]The Rear parking sensors are VERYpessimistic. When they are on full constant Beep you can drive a bus between the car and the object triggering the sensors, This is annoying as the view out the back is really bad, the thick rear pillars WILL result in the wife reversing into something.[*]I can not understand why the electric folding mirrors can not be set to fold on the ignition on/off and only work from the button....annoying.[*]The boot floor appears to be very thin, hopefully it will stand up to having stuff launched in it![/list]

More to follow over the coming days.....

See less See more
#2 ·
Cheers for that big_boz ...

I'm waiting on the same model (and same engine) and had similar concerns to you about driving a diesel. I also agree with you about the folding mirrors.

How are the seats ... I recall sitting in a '3' a number of weeks ago (the only time I could get near one in a showroom) and had felt a little disappointed that they didn't feel more sports orientated and supportive ... tried the heating on with them yet?

All in all, are you pleased or disappointed? ...
or

Cheers for your info,

Stevo.

Edited by: sr0610

#5 ·
Davy - i wasnt looking at the revs, but will compare real lifeperformanceto the specs over the next few days. No opportunity to re-map for 3 years as its a company lease, but it really dosent need it, its a diesel super mini and with only 160 miles on the clock goes very well, much better than my old 58 plate 1.3 Yaris SR. When its run in i imagine it will be more than adequate for the job in hand.

Stevo - I amgenuinelyvery pleased, the Rio is MUCH quieter than my AudiDiesel, its a very smooth drive, theMediainterface is pretty decent, Im going to be spending most of my time on the motorway sofulfils the brief quite well. Regards the heated seats, the lights onthebuttons work! il let you know on actual heat in the morning. Seats certainly are not sporty, but seem comfortable, and I found it very easy to get comfortable.

Other things of note:-

<ul>[*]The cornering lights are in the same vain as VW groups cars, in that there is aseparatelight on each side that comes on when you turn the wheel left or right, they work well though, and are at least incorporated into the main light units which is neater than the VW solution[*]The Auto lights seem to wait quite a while to come on. I left them on Auto ontheway back home and it was getting dark, the Rio was one of the last cars to have lights on.[*]The Hard drive isdefinitelyonly just under 900MB which means about 10 albums at a decent bit rate, no idea where the 6000 song comment in the handbook comes from its a nonsense number.[*]The general quality appears very High, the Air vents feel very solid and Audi like, THe Main part of the Dash is soft touch (which ihadn'tnoticed when i test drove the 1.1 "2" model a month or so ago.[*]As Above the car is VERY quiet on the inside, but not so much ontheoutside so there must be a fair bit of sound proofing.[/list]

#10 ·
big_boz said:
......................I can not understand why the electric folding mirrors can not be set to fold on the ignition on/off and only work from the button....annoying. .....................................
Believe it or not some people park their cars ina garage many of which are very narrow.
In this situation you don't really want your mirrorsto unfoldautomatically when you start the engine so I suppose notproviding an auto option is the safest bet.

Edited by: Wipikia

#11 ·
First pic taken just after deliver, 160 miles ontheclock and a fair bit of crud.....ApparentlyZeniththinks its best to get aNewcastleKia dealer to supply to aWakefieldToyotadealer, to deliver to me in Leeds.....??

#12 ·
Wipikia said:
big_boz said:
......................I can not understand why the electric folding mirrors can not be set to fold on the ignition on/off and only work from the button....annoying. .....................................
Believe it or not some people park their cars ina garage many of which are very narrow.
In this situation you don't really want your mirrorsto unfoldautomatically when you start the engine.

Fair comment but whyisn'tit an option...as it is on VW cars...and BMW's...and Audis....

#14 ·
<UL>
<LI>The Heated seats are very good, and bonus they heat the back rest and not just the seat swab.</LI>
<LI>Fuel ecomony is impressive, My Audi A4 gets 50MPG+ on the M-Way but about 36MPG on my normal 8 mile journey to the officem theRio did 48MPG over the same jouney so i am confident that the M-Way MPG will be in the 60's</LI>
<LI>The dash Rattles Like a Dog, see my other thread from today with details....</LI>
<LI>The car is very grippy in the dry</LI>
<LI>The steering is very Dull and has zero feeling or feedback.This isntmuch of an issue and it isquite positive, butif this was a"sporty" Rio i wouldnt be happy with it.</LI>[/list]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.