Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CEED 2010 1.6 diesel.

Over the last few months I have been leaving the car sat for 2-3 days at a time. I have noticed that it was becoming increasing more difficult starting the engine. At one point the starter motor was very slow and stopped. I checked the charge and found it 1/2 capacity. I decided to purchase a 60AH battery which appeared to resolve the issue. However a few weeks ago, after the car had been sat 3-4 days, I tried to start the car but there was nothing but a single click.
Fortunately i managed to jump start it,

I was able to start it last Wednesday but when i tried to start it again this Sunday, there was nothing but a click. The battery suggested 1/2 charge capacity.

I had a spare battery which was fully charged but even this failed to start the car. This suggested the starter motor.

I checked all the connections on the starter solenoid and they looked OK.

I then decided to slightly unscrew and then retighten the nut holding the nearest electrode as circled on the diagram below and hey presto the engine started 1st time !!

Smile Gesture Font Gas Electronic device

I havent got a clue what happened or why what i did apparently woke up the starter motor

I would be very grateful for any insight into this bizarre situation

·
Registered
215 Posts
The solenoid uses a small ignition switch current to mechanically switch the heavy current to the starter motor.

If you were getting a click, it normally means the solenoid is operating but may have poor switching connectivity on the high current side.

if it happens again, I would change the starter or solenoid.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok - but how does slightly unscrewing the nut and then retightening it affect the workings of the ignition switch in the solenoid?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
on the other end of both of those bolts is a contactor on each one, when the solenoid is activated a metal bar pulls in and bridges across both of these two contactors supplying power to the motor, you either have had a bad connection or the contactors inside are getting burnt and you disturbing it has allowed it to make a better connection for the moment, might last ok might not,

·
Registered
2018 Sportage 3 1.7crdi, 2007 Picanto 1.1
5 Posts
I have a CEED 2010 1.6 diesel.

Over the last few months I have been leaving the car sat for 2-3 days at a time. I have noticed that it was becoming increasing more difficult starting the engine. At one point the starter motor was very slow and stopped. I checked the charge and found it 1/2 capacity. I decided to purchase a 60AH battery which appeared to resolve the issue. However a few weeks ago, after the car had been sat 3-4 days, I tried to start the car but there was nothing but a single click.
Fortunately i managed to jump start it,

I was able to start it last Wednesday but when i tried to start it again this Sunday, there was nothing but a click. The battery suggested 1/2 charge capacity.

I had a spare battery which was fully charged but even this failed to start the car. This suggested the starter motor.

I checked all the connections on the starter solenoid and they looked OK.

I then decided to slightly unscrew and then retighten the nut holding the nearest electrode as circled on the diagram below and hey presto the engine started 1st time !!

View attachment 12110

I havent got a clue what happened or why what i did apparently woke up the starter motor

I would be very grateful for any insight into this bizarre situation
The cables take a high ampage as you can probably tell from the thickness. The terminals can become corroded over time which builds up resistance. The process of untightening and retightening probably dislodged a bit of corrosion. Sometimes repeated turning of the ignition can heat the terminal which expands and makes a tighter connection. Another common corroded terminal is the black negative earth lead. If you trace it back from the battery the other end is usually bolted to the gearbox. This is a very common failure point even if visually it looks OK.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
when the solenoid is activated a metal bar pulls in and bridges across both of these two contactors ...or the contactors inside are getting burnt
the photo below is not a Kia solenoid, though the contacts may be similar.
Sometimes the 2 large contacts visible below have slotted holes so that they are height adjustable. The bar or washer that bridges the 2 contacts may not bridge completely after the contacts are worn down, this can be fixed by adjusting the height of the contact/s using the slotted hole or it's possible to just make a new contact from a piece of brass or copper using a hacksaw and a file.
The contact on the right shows signs of arcing, once this starts it can eat away the contact quite quickly.

Automotive tire Rim Wood Bumper Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've had the thick cable going to the solenoid fracture internally once. As soon as you disturbed it the fracture remade itself so the car would start. It was a sod to track down.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage 3 1.7crdi, 2007 Picanto 1.1
5 Posts
You can connect a jump lead temporarily from battery positive to solenoid to replicate the power lead if the starter is slow to see what it does. Or from battery negative to earth point. It's a good test of the cables integrity. The starter motor circuit is very simple but good contact is essential for it to work. Of course the internals of the starter motor can be corroded or faulty but cables are a lot cheaper to investigate before battery or starter motor replacement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts