Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<DIV =msg>

I picked up my new Sportage 1 on Friday (nice car!), having driven it now for a couple of days, this has raised a few queries, therefore I am wondering if anyone could assist>

Firstly, the ISG.

The light on the deactivate switch is constantly on, and when pressed, does not go out or turn back on, however, at times, the ISG does work, with the green instrument panel illuminating when it goes to idle mode, but at times, the green light does not come on even though it has gone into idle mode.

Question: why then does the ISG work with the light on the deactivation switch illuminated, which, according to the manual, indicates that ISG is off?

Secondly, starting the car.

I have noticed that the car will only start when the clutch is depressed, it will not start if my feet are away from the pedals, ie: clutch not depressed.

Question: Is this normal and specific to Kia Sportage?

Another one I have just thought of is the cornering lights, I have yet to notice that there is any change in illumination when turning corners with headlights on, suggesting to me that the cornering lights are not working unlike my previous car which lit up the kerbside when cornering)

Any suggestions/recommendations are very much appreciated

Thanks all

Brian

·
Registered
153 Posts
Can't speak for ISG, mine doesn't have it.

The clutch has to be pressed to start on all Sportages, as far as I know. A lot of people I know with other cars also have to do that. After a while you start doing it automatically, even in cars that don't need it!

I tried the sideways illumination driving slowly along a dark road - you can see the side illumination, but as you can't see the nearside kerb from the driving position, it isn't much help. Are you sure your model has it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Sid

Thanks for your reply. According to the spec sheet I recieved with the brochure, it states that the Sportage 1 does indeed have cornering lights which are standard on all models of Sportage.

Cant say that I have noticed any increased illumination when corning on either the near or off side.

In relation to the clutch and starting, this is a natural way of starting cars for me, but just wanted to double check there was nothing wrong.

Thanks again mate

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Brian,

ISG is a little unpredictable for me. Sometimes it kicks in, other times it doesn't. I've struggled to find any pattern of predictability with it, but was guessing that when the engine is cold, it doesn't operate (must get the manual out again). On a few occasions in the last few weeks, when the ISG has turned the engine off, it has re-started itself without me touching the clutch or accelerator.

I haven't noticed the cornering lights at all although I do have them.

AFAIK, the clutch engagement requirement on startup is a standard safety device on most new cars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Baz

To be honest I have read the manual time and time again regarding the ISG system, and I too cant get my head around it!

There does seem to be certain times when this works, as you say, I guess as time goes by I will figure it out! only had the car for 4 days so still getting used to it!

Thanks again mate

·
Registered
662 Posts
Baz53 said:
Hi Brian,

ISG is a little unpredictable for me. Sometimes it kicks in, other times it doesn't. I've struggled to find any pattern of predictability with it, but was guessing that when the engine is cold, it doesn't operate (must get the manual out again). On a few occasions in the last few weeks, when the ISG has turned the engine off, it has re-started itself without me touching the clutch or accelerator.

I haven't noticed the cornering lights at all although I do have them.

AFAIK, the clutch engagement requirement on startup is a standard safety device on most new cars.

ISGneeds to see certain temperatures in engine and battery before it will engage as for restarting its usualy because the cabin temperature has risen above that set on the heating controls thus it needs to run the air con but it will start the engine if the battery voltage is getting to a set point where the engine would not restart if left the manual explains all this in detail

cornering lights can be checked by putting your headlamps on then get someone to put an indicator on and watch the lamps and yes they are not brilliant

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply

In relation to the light on the deactivation switch, is this a fault that it will not turn off? It's constantly illuminated and will not go out even when pressed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have had my Sportage 3 months, and I have had an intermittent issue with the light on the de-activation switch remaining on, although as Brian says the activation/deactivation still works.
Personally, I would like ISG disabled permanently. I find it a bit disconcerting, though I guess you get used to it. The other thing is, I think it is probably fine now, but what about when the battery gets a bit old, or you're stuck in stop/start traffic on the M25, with continual engine stopping and starting

·
Registered
57 Posts
In 6 months my ISG has worked prehaps no more than 6 times - so Kia an absolute waste of a bit of technical engineering. The light illuminates when you stop to show that its on. If its on I beleive its off!

·
Registered
96 Posts
jemnetley said:
In 6 months my ISG has worked prehaps no more than 6 times

Sounds like it's faulty to me. Mine operates a lot more regularly than that. Maybe get it checked by your dealer?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts