Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Evening all.. this happened to day.. took the venga out for a 20 mile run as I do every other day these days..started the car up switch light was off and usually at this stage I turn it off to deactivate ISG but this morning I forgot to do this. Around 5 minutes into my drive I glanced at the ISG switch and was just about to switch it off to deactivate when the orange light came on by itself and then when pressing the switch to the activate position [ no light ] the light wont go out.. thought it might be voltage related so came home and put the battery on charge for 5 hours.. took the car back out this evening and on start up the light was off and stayed off.. did not turn it off manually to see if it stayed off [no light ] and it did until I pull on my drive switched off the engine and restarted it.. still no light on the ISG switch and just about to turn the engine off again and on popped on the switch light again.. tried to to turn the light off on the switch but to no avail.. light is permanently on..

Suggestions please on what might be the problem.. plug in volt meter reading 14.3/4 on the drive.. and that is normally what it reads..

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
WOW 馃樀 100 views and not a single suggestion..

Registered
Many variables involved in correct operation of the ISG system. Vehicle sensors, weather conditions & most importantly the health of the battery / batteries.

I note you normally switch it off. Why worry about it, its just an annoying system anyway. 馃槀 馃槀

Registered
There's quite a few reasons for the ISG to be inactive and so illuminate the lamp. My other car (not Kia) has an equivalent stop/start feature, however when it becomes inactive it's possible to interrogate the system to find out why. Common reasons are...
Electrical system (typically the battery charge low)
Engine system (coolant too hot or cold / DPF regen in progress /diagnostic trouble code pending or stored)
Climate system (interior temperature more than 3 degrees from set point)
Driver unbelted
Outside temperature too hot/too cold (not sure of threshold figures)
Plus there's a few others I don't remember/don't understand!

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
This morning I took the car again for a 20 mile run.. on start up the light stayed off and did so all teh way until I returned home.. pulled onto my drive and the amber light popped up.. on start up this morning volt meter read 12.2v and read 14.4v on the run.. when returning home and turning the engine off and ign back on volt meter reads 12.8v.. popped upstairs to get my multimeter to substantiate the reading and it was correct..

Registered
This morning I took the car again for a 20 mile run.. on start up the light stayed off and did so all teh way until I returned home.. pulled onto my drive and the amber light popped up.. on start up this morning volt meter read 12.2v and read 14.4v on the run.. when returning home and turning the engine off and ign back on volt meter reads 12.8v.. popped upstairs to get my multimeter to substantiate the reading and it was correct..
Voltage alone is not the only measure of battery state of charge. Not sure about your model, but my Sportage has a charge sensor built into the battery negative lead which informs the vehicle battery monitoring system as to what charge has gone into the battery versus what's come out. Best to rule out the battery by giving it a decent overnight charge on a mains charger (making sure to attach the charger negative lead to the engine or the chassis, so that the charge contribution is correctly monitored by the vehicle system).

Are you sure that none of the other things on my list above could be causing this issue?

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Voltage alone is not the only measure of battery state of charge. Not sure about your model, but my Sportage has a charge sensor built into the battery negative lead which informs the vehicle battery monitoring system as to what charge has gone into the battery versus what's come out. Best to rule out the battery by giving it a decent overnight charge on a mains charger (making sure to attach the charger negative lead to the engine or the chassis, so that the charge contribution is correctly monitored by the vehicle system).

Are you sure that none of the other things on my list above could be causing this issue?
In my first post I stated that the battery on my Venga had been on a mains charger ..ok not over night and for only 5 hours and the earth was fitted to a body earth.. the only way to get it on an over night charge would be to remove it from the car to my garage and to be honest I do not wish to do that at the moment because if the car is out of action we would find it hard to get our covid jab so need the car.. as the days get longer I can extend the period the battery is on charge but shorter days at the moment dont allow me to do this.. I have done some surfing and find comments myself re the sensor on the neg lead and also on a sensor on the clutch pedal.. apparently there could be 2 of them.. but nothing to point me to a positive reason why its doing it.. did some searches on possible replacement of the neg cable and sensor and found a part number but could not actually find a site were I could purchase the part..I think Kia would be charging an arm and two legs for this one..

Registered
In my first post I stated that the battery on my Venga had been on a mains charger ..ok not over night and for only 5 hours and the earth was fitted to a body earth.. the only way to get it on an over night charge would be to remove it from the car to my garage and to be honest I do not wish to do that at the moment because if the car is out of action we would find it hard to get our covid jab so need the car.. as the days get longer I can extend the period the battery is on charge but shorter days at the moment dont allow me to do this.. I have done some surfing and find comments myself re the sensor on the neg lead and also on a sensor on the clutch pedal.. apparently there could be 2 of them.. but nothing to point me to a positive reason why its doing it.. did some searches on possible replacement of the neg cable and sensor and found a part number but could not actually find a site were I could purchase the part..I think Kia would be charging an arm and two legs for this one..
Yes, I did see that. But - especially in the absence of details about your charger - it isn't certain that 5 hours of charging would definitely result in the vehicle seeing the battery as sufficiently charged? And I'd want to rule that out before buying replacement sensors, etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I did see that. But - in the absence of details about your charger - I wasn't convinced that 5 hours of charging would definitely result in the vehicle seeing the battery as sufficiently charged.

Can you definitely rule out that
Didnt use my ctech due to the time required so have been using my old bradex charger on the 4 amp setting..its old but still does the job..I'm using a lead acid battery not an AGM with no detrimental effects

Registered
Didnt use my ctech due to the time required so have been using my old bradex charger on the 4 amp setting..its old but still does the job..I'm using a lead acid battery not an AGM with no detrimental effects
Presume you mean a flooded cell battery? AGM batteriees are lead acid too,

This might be part of the problem. Wet cell batteries have different charge/discharge characteristics to AGMs and the smart charging system in the car might never see a wet cell battery as fully charged.

It also occurs to me to wonder exactly how smart the charging system is - if it thinks it has an AGM then it will overcharge a wet cell battery which will damage it over time.

This coould all be nonsense if the charging system is smart enough to tell the difference - I think it is technically possible but of couorse would require the electronics or software to have been engineered with this in mind. If it was so engineered then I would expect teh manual to offer a choice of replacement battery specifications,

Registered
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Presume you mean a flooded cell battery? AGM batteriees are lead acid too,

This might be part of the problem. Wet cell batteries have different charge/discharge characteristics to AGMs and the smart charging system in the car might never see a wet cell battery as fully charged.

It also occurs to me to wonder exactly how smart the charging system is - if it thinks it has an AGM then it will overcharge a wet cell battery which will damage it over time.

This coould all be nonsense if the charging system is smart enough to tell the difference - I think it is technically possible but of couorse would require the electronics or software to have been engineered with this in mind. If it was so engineered then I would expect teh manual to offer a choice of replacement battery specifications,
Taken from my thread Venga battery. Remember that one..wrong Ah and CCA but been soldiering on quite happily since Sept 2019

By the way guys while we are on about stop start I found this about a week ago

Registered

Good spot! If mine had ISG I would definitely fit one of those and I think there are plenty folks on here who would be interested.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Quite by accident I came upon this comment on i30 owners forum..so now leaning towards the negative battery cable and sensor with this problem.. finding one on the internet is also another problem.. not even second hand ones.. let alone new ones..

Re: Problems with the battery/ISG
Reply #14 : August 19, 2014, 14:04:19 禄

In Finnish forums I have read about a case where the ISG in someone's Kia Cee'd didn't work, and they finally fixed it by replacing the battery temperature/voltage sensor. He was told that it was showing temperatures like -40, so no wonder it wasn't working.

Registered
My dad had owned his for 3 years 2015 plate we took it back when first had it due to the light permanently on they charged battery over night then it worked for 2 days then never bothered with it since
I don鈥檛 like the idea of an engine turning on and off constantly anyway that鈥檚 my opinion if you want it working put it in charge over night the battery 馃憤馃憤

Registered
Taken from my thread Venga battery. Remember that one..wrong Ah and CCA but been soldiering on quite happily since Sept 2019

What annoying music!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts