Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gents I'm new to the forum so be gentle with me....lol
I went to view a 2006 serento xe manual yesterday and all seemed welluntil I manually put it in 4wd high.
As I drove along a straight tarmac road all was fine. I then pulled up at aleft hand turn in the road which I was coasting upto in second gear. I locked the steering over to turn the corner and the vehicle juddered to a halt. I restarted it and tried again, same sort of thing, had to really rev it whilst on lock to turn it. It even made the clutch smell.
I then took the vehicle to a car park where I tried turning sharply both left and right in second gear and the vehicle really stiffened up and I had to rev it really hard to make the turn.
Do you think there is a problem with the 4wd drive? or is it just me?

Hope you can help.....by the way i didnt buy it and told the guy of the problem. He rang me today saying he had been in touch with Kia and they said that it shouldn't be put in 4wd manually and driven in 4wd on a hard surface...Why are the switches there if you cant use them...I understand driving the vehicle for long periods on hard flat surfaces in 4wd it not good for them and i just did it for a mile or so.

Regards
Simon

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi SIMON,

<DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">The Sorento, like most true 4wd's has a conventional gearbox, but on the back of that is a transfer gear box which splits the drive to the rear axle for 2wd, or to the front and rear axle for 4wd. As well, a reduction gear can be engaged to give low range gearing in 4wd.

As you say, 2wd is just that, the rear two wheels are driven, with drive to the front wheels disconnected by a clutch in the transfer gearbox. Also there is a compressed air driven clutch in the front differential which allows the front wheels to 'free wheel'. This saves on fuel and tyre wear as the differential and front driveshaft are not turning. The air compressor is turned on when 4wd is selected. The air pressurises the differential housing to about 5lbs/sq in to engage the clutch.

4wd drives all 4 wheels through the main gearbox and transfer box. The front and rear wheels have to turn at the same speed.

4wd Low drives all 4 wheels as above, but the reduction gear is engaged to give more torque for difficult conditions.

It is possible to change between 2wd and 4wd on the move just by moving the selector knob, but you must be stationary to engage 4wd Low.

Also remember not to drive in 4wd on hard surfaces such as bitumen roads, as this can cause damage to the transmission. The reason for this is that when turning a corner, the front wheels travel further than the rear. If they are locked together in 4wd, something has to give. Either the tyres skid or something breaks in the transmission.

Vehicles designed for constant 4wd have a differential in the transfer box to allow the front and rear driveshafts to turn at different speeds so avoiding the problem.

<DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">

<DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">
<DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">That sums up the conventional 4wd system.

The TOD (Torque-on Demand) system is a little different.
This system uses the wheel rotation sensors from the Anti-Skid Braking system to detect when the rear wheels are turning faster than the front wheels. If the rear (drive) wheels are turning faster, the system assumes the wheels are slipping and automaticaly engages the front wheels to give 4wd and so improve traction.
This works fine on snowy roads and icy driveways, but is not so good off road in mud or soft sand. The reason is that by the time the system has responded, the rear driving wheels are already bogged down. Also the system tends to 'hunt' in variable off road conditions.

<DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">Taff

·
Registered
235 Posts
Also remember not to drive in 4wd on hard surfaces such as bitumen roads, as this can cause damage to the transmission. The reason for this is that when turning a corner, the front wheels travel further than the rear. If they are locked together in 4wd, something has to give. Either the tyres skid or something breaks in the transmission.

Taff

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi everyone,these responses just go to show how a good forum can work to everyones advantage and enjoyment....well done to all who take part......ray.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts