Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done an internet search, but nothing obvious (and some of the bike racks stating they would fit a Niro actually wouldn't).
So if there is an official Kia Niro approved bicycle rack please provide details.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,954 Posts
Might help if you say where you would like the rack?
As the Nero has roof rails. You can add bars and then any bike rack on there.

·
Super Moderator
2,954 Posts
I purposely didn't qualify the question, so it would not limit answers.

Unless the rack is a dealer option, you are looking at all the usual suppliers. Pretty sure that no aftermarket fitment will be marque approved.
So where you would prefer will help.
As some people do not like racks that put bikes on the roof, which as I said. You have roof rails. So any roof bars & a cycle rack will do.
On these you can spend as much or as little as you like.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thule usually have something to fit most cars. I guess you'll have to take one out to the parking lot and test fit it.
Some cars have roof bars with their own specific aero profile, which don't fit the standard clamps too well.

Are you thinking roof or tow bar?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haven't really thought too much about which type. Wanted to get options. As it would only be used occasionally, would probably go for roof bars as, from what I have found out so far, rear bike carriers are really expensive. I have seen rear bike carriers advertised on eBay which state they fit a Niro, but from the photo's they aren't suitable. I suspect the ads are just 'hooks' and whatever car make you put in, they say they are compatible.
Anyway, thanks all for the information. Now have to make a decision (or not). :)

·
Super Moderator
2,954 Posts
I will add lifting a bike onto a rack on the roof even if only doing once in a while is not that easy. As a lot depends on your height/strength & the weight of your bikes/ height of car.
I would try lifting your bike onto the roof of your car (put something on the roof 1st) and see how you manage.
I have done it on a Clio years ago. 2 on roof & kids on a rear rack (universal) so it was just clips locked onto rear tailgate. Not really safe now with so many cars having that plastic spoiler on the top of the tailgate.

Could you get bike in rear of the car or are you looking at still wanting rear passengers?

·
Registered
340 Posts
For occasional use, a towbar mount is quick, cheap and easy. I got a towbar installed with out the el connection just for the bike rack and it provides some protection against parking impacts too. Towbars dont cost that much. It's easy to scratch the roof and sides with bikes parts , buckles and straps. Avoiding the damage usually requires more back strain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good points. I was used to a rear mounted bike carrier. Trying to lift a bike onto a roof mounted carrier will be difficult. Will need to look into the tow bar option.
Thanks for all the advice.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I have a aluminium bike rack that I bought when I had my Ford Focus, which I no longer use it can take three bikes it fits using adjustable straps with hooks two fit at top of rear hatch and two at bottom it’s meant to used on any hatchback type car if you would like pics let me know.
I have done an internet search, but nothing obvious (and some of the bike racks stating they would fit a Niro actually wouldn't).
So if there is an official Kia Niro approved bicycle rack please provide details.
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts