Kia Owners Club Forum banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
326 Posts
I totally agree.

Yesterday, I drove between Bellingdon and Wavendon. These are two villages in Buckinghamshire that are 27 miles apart. I drove there, by the short route and back, by the fast route - 2 minutes quicker but half a mile longer.

After a couple of miles I was instructed to turn off a B road on to an unpaved dirt road that was so narrow, the bushes rubbed against both sides of the car at the same time.

The potholes were so many and so deep that for 0.7 miles, I was roughly rocked from side to side and never went above 5mph.

Eventually I turned on to an A road. Despite that awful section, it was the fast route as the journey home really was 2 minutes quicker.

Both sides of my car are scratched, however.
Could you please tell us what car, headset and type1 or 2 you have

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks @MGL you have confirmed something that I have suspected for sometime, this issue may be connected to the new UVO based headsets. I wonder if it has something to do with the absence of Options in the Nav setup menus, particularly the Fast Route options.
Since I composed the message I have had my maps and Headset updated and have been informed that there is a known fault in the UVO system which requires a part and the vehicle to be booked in for updating. I will report back following a test of the most recent update and also when the UVO is updated bit that will not be for several weeks. In the meantime I have emailed KIA and asked if they ever read the owners forum comments and whether they are in a position to engage in a feedback exercise with regard to all the adverse comments regarding Satnavs?
Watch this space!

·
Super Moderator
6,266 Posts
Sportage GT S line 71 reg. I presume the most recent Headset but not aware of the Type but certainly diffferent to my previous 19 Reg
Is yours black/white (Type 1) or purple (Type 2). As described in both online & hardback manual (y) Also UVO has just been updated. There is a new APP. 30-09-21

Well if there is a new bit required that is a hell of a lot of recalls for units with UVO.

Kia do monitor these forums, but only the KCS section (nearly a full time job for us mods to monitor posts, so you can not expect Kia to do the same).
We are lucky enough to have a Kia presence. Unlike most other car forums.

·
Super Moderator
6,266 Posts
Even Google Maps & waze are not fool proof.
Where we stay on holiday is 20 yds down a country lane off a local country road.
When leaving it will tell you to turn left, turn left @ next junction which takes you back to local country road. A trip of 2 miles. Instead of 20 yds, no matter which way you want to go... Kia got it right 😀

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
...Using UVO seems to be a problem. You are given a recommended route with distance and time and an alternative route but with no information as to what the route entails, On 2 separate occasions it has given the response "No recommended route available" AND "No alternative route available". On the old system you could go through turn by turn and check where it was taking you. This facility does not seem to be available on the UVO. It may be that I have not yet completely learned to full capabilities of UVO, but I have tried.
Your point about being able to preview the turn-by-turn instructions on a previous version of the software is very interesting and quite important.
I am new to Kia, having come from a 1999 Ford Focus to a Soul EV. The car is great in so many ways, but the navigation clearly has problems.
It's been interesting to read all the different comments that people have posted which show how the Kia navigation has changed over various versions:-
  • different options for what to avoid
  • explicit "fastest" or "shortest" choices, rather than recommended or alternative (meaningless!)
  • being able to preview the turn-by-turn instructions
Being able to preview the list of turns would clearly mean you could identify a route which matched your expectation. The problem with looking at the two options, as it currently displays, is that you just get a fat route line drawn across the map and the distinctions between road categories are lost. Sure, you can zoom in to try to see where the turn are, but it still isn't very clear. We get half a dozen choices of colour scheme to employ, but I don't think any of them actually improves the INFORMATION, like adopting a choice of different road-atlas colour schemes for the ROADS! (Your know the sort of thing: blue motorway, green A-road, red A-road, yellow B-road) I'm worried that I may be proved wrong on this, but the car is parked too far away ATM to go and check.

This facility does not seem to be available on the UVO. It may be that I have not yet completely learned to full capabilities of UVO, but I have tried.
I think that "UVO" may be a bit of a different issue. (This applies to quite a lot of posts from different people). It depends what is meant by UVO. At times it seems to be shorthand for recent software/hardware which has got some UVO branding. Sometimes it means the live data which means the car's navigation can be aware of more recent speed cameras or live traffic problems.

The car's navigation should be able to route your journey without the live data (you could be about to set off from a location without mobile data coverage). At any time on the journey it might get data about live traffic which makes it re-evaluate the original route. It doesn't really matter whether that is because it got the data from Kia's internal SIM (branded part of the UVO system) or whether it had a data connection because the driver was using a mobile phone to provide a WiFi hot-spot for the car to be able to access traffic-data.

So, IMHO we need to be careful about the car's inbuilt software and not conflate it with some effects of getting live data. The software will have its priorities. Sometimes the data will be sufficient for the car to re-evaluate. Whether the car asks permission or not to change your route is part of the original software, nothing to do with the UVO connectivity.
For instance, if we were lucky enough to be able to wave a wand over Kia (and their 3rd party developers for the software) we might want to ask for a setting:
Live routing:
  1. Always use live data to achieve fastest route
  2. Ask before re-routing
  3. Only offer new route where there is significant gain
  4. Do not change route
The possibility in recent years for Kia's navigation to use live data has, I suspect, brought about some changes.
It's been interesting to read how some people have had experience of software upgrades which appear to have made the navigation experience worse (like no longer being explicit with the choices of "fastest" or "shortest" or whatever.
With a bit of software experience I suspect that the designers of the system have been facing a dilemma: before the advent of live traffic data programmes like "Autoroute" could do the calculation for different route options and you could configure it with your likely speeds on different classes of roads. TomTom (without live data) was similar. Once you introduce live data into the picture it becomes more of a problem, the behaviour has skewed towards "fastest". They can no longer ask you to choose "fastest" or "shortest" (or others) because it may change during the journey.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Check your settings. You need it set to quickest rather than shortest. Quickest will keep you on the main roads. Shortest can lead to a lot of rat running.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
326 Posts
Check your settings. You need it set to quickest rather than shortest. Quickest will keep you on the main roads. Shortest can lead to a lot of rat running.
This is not an option on the newer systems

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
Picture in post #32 shows what this years software shows on Soul EV screen. The possible relevance to other models is that might be what you get after a software update.
The thread also contains many anecdotes that Kia's navigation is picking absurdly small tracks, possibly in the interest of "speed" because we have selected the promoted route, not the "alternative".

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes I agree, it's easier if there are 2 or more in the car at the time, but even as a sole occupant on a journey, I've never relied on the Kia system to the extent that I've turned down a dirt track on the advice of their sat nav, unless my destination is actually down said dirt track.
Whenever we travel on long journeys, my little son sits in the back with an ancient TomTom plugged in (just to keep him amused on the journey) and I'm always amazed just how much better the old (9 years old and no updates) TomTom system is, when compared to the Kia Sat Nav in our 21 Soul.
Maybe it's time that car manufacturers resort to fitting a compass on top of the dash for just such occasions.:ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
6,266 Posts
Maybe it's time that car manufacturers resort to fitting a compass on top of the dash for just such occasions.:ROFLMAO:
Mine has got two 😂
Steering part Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Reactions: KDMB

·
Super Moderator
6,266 Posts
But if they are as bad as the sat nav, can you trust them to say which way you are pointing. 🤣
TBH. Do they mean anything anyway... As we know roads do not follow a straight line. So while you want to go say west.. There are times when you need to go South west etc. And how many people will get their head round that. Especially when they will blindly follow a sat nav down any old track 😂

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
TBH. Do they mean anything anyway... As we know roads do not follow a straight line. So while you want to go say west.. There are times when you need to go South west etc. And how many people will get their head round that. Especially when they will blindly follow a sat nav down any old track 😂
I think the use of the word "blindly" is a little offensive.

When you often drive in Devon & Cornwall you are not surprised by a turn into a single-lane road with high grassy banks, sometimes that continues for a few miles. So when the 'nav turns you onto an obviously minor (but not surprising) road you don't "just say no", you go with the flow, because there isn't anywhere to pull up and consult an atlas at that point AND it's not that unusual to need a bit of such a road. 15 minutes later one of two things might happen:
a) you reach your destination and are relieved, (or you re-emerge onto a good road) but later may realise that it just took you a ball-achingly difficult route for very tittle discernible reason
b) you reach the sort of track that you you wouldn't turn off onto in the first place, but by now you are so deeply invested into this stupid route that it is a choice of trying the next 10 minutes or re-tracing the last 15.

It's easy to be smug about "idiots" turning onto unsuitable roads if you generally experience conventional roads. That's exactly the driver that the locals don't want being guided down their farm-access roads!

·
Super Moderator
6,266 Posts
It's easy to be smug about "idiots" turning onto unsuitable roads if you generally experience conventional roads. That's exactly the driver that the locals don't want being guided down their farm-access roads!
Given I have lived in the South Downs & now on the edge of Yorks Moors. I'm more than used to single track roads. I spent a lot of my 1st years driving following rally's around and helping. All on single track roads. Many overnight with not a sat nav in sight. All done by maps.

People need to crasp that the Sat Nav is a guide. NOT "You have to follow" at all costs. Road signs give you more than enough info on your routes.

Reactions: KDMB

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
109 Posts
I was driving over A66 Scotch corner to Penrith yesterday and traffic was horrendous. Took about 2 hours. Anyway sat nav now and then popped up alternatives saving anywhere between 9 and 19 mins. The route appeared to loop around the traffic and rejoin further up. I couldn't physically see these roads and given its all countryside, I didn't take the chance in case it was single track farm roads.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I couldn't physically see these roads and given its all countryside, I didn't take the chance in case it was single track farm roads.
Probably a wise decision if my experience of alternative routing is selected in that situation. While it might be fine if you are familiar with the local area, I prefer to avoid convoluted routes that involve B roads and unclassified roads.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
326 Posts
Im afraid this thread is moving away from the original topic which, 'I think' was asking whether people found that the kia satnav is prown to using single lane track roads, into a general debate on maps vs satnav. On the one hand there is a camp, which I belong to, that believes that satnav is now the mainstream means of getting from A to B, has now replaced maps for the majority of the population and is even used during the driving test, and in the other camp we have the flat earth contingent who believe that satnav can't be trusted so all journeys should be planned using a paper map, presumably because it can be relied upon to be infallable and up to date.

I have read very similar arguments on other forums discussing issues with inbuilt satnavs so I think we will just have to accept that there are too different views on this subject, those who will never rely on satnav and always check their route using a map (which they presumably concider to be upto date and correct) and those like me who believe they should be able to rely on satnav to get them from A to B quickly and safely using two lane roads.

With few exceptions the free nav apps available do this but for some reason some inbuilt nav systems (and this is not unique to kia) seem to have odd querks. Personally I don't feel that it is acceptable for car manufacturers to fit sub standard nav systems in our cars and arguments that suggest we could use a free nav app or a map instead just miss the point altogether. Whether we like it or not satnav IS now a fundamental feature of many cars and as such we need to be able to rely on it so if vehicle manufacturers fit nav systems it is incumbent on them to ensure that they work correctly. Of course we shouldn't follow any guidance system blindly but this applys to paper maps as well as satnav but equally we should be able to rely on satnav in the same way we rely on maps.

What this thread has shown though is that some Kia satnav systems, but it's unclear to me which ones, do regularly choose inappropriate routes that use single track roads. What is sad is though is that Kia tell me they are unaware that this is the case, perhaps if they did they might do something about it.

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
109 Posts
If in a future update they included an option for single track roads then surely for the most that would solve it.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
326 Posts
If in a future update they included an option for single track roads then surely for the most that would solve it.
IF they do IT might but as Kia seem unaware of any issue this seems unlikely

61 - 80 of 101 Posts