Kia Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 40 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
326 Posts
As far as I can recall my Options screen doesn’t look like that, I’ll check it out tomorrow, but I certainly don’t get an option to accept or reject a detour, just follow it or ignore it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't have the pop ups either and I don't have the same menu options as @Radiorail so there must be different systems out there. In some respects things may have gone backwards

·
Registered
292 Posts
It's not just Kia satnav. My free phone satnav takes me down country lanes far too often. And I don't have mobile data active because I've a limited amount of data.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Same with our standalone Garmin units - we have 5 of the damn things (ebay specials bought for specific trips :cool:).
We usually spend the whole journey ignoring what the Garmin Lady tells us and also have much entertainment value from some of the road pronunciations :ROFLMAO:.
Of course where the satnav (usually) really comes in handy is perhaps during the last few miles for city destinations,it also gives us a reasonably accurate ETA and is also useful for a 'countdown' to a turnoff etc (especially if it is a difficult to see minor road).
Some of the cart tracks the Garmin tries to take us down are pure comedy - you know the ones with grass for a 'central reservation :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
6,263 Posts
To try and get a handle on some of the bizarre routes it has been taking me, I have been testing it on local routes I know like the back of my hand. In some cases it provides ridiculous directions on simple A to B routes which I would never ordinarily take in a month of Sundays.
When I was still working & having to commute home at peak time. I always had waze running for route home. That also took you routes that you would never even think of taking. When it 1st started doing it, I used to ignore many of them... But god it was good at finding the fastest route home. Given that other roads you would normally use were backed up that day.

So never assume that a route given is not the fastest. Sure taking you down a single track will not see you hitting the speed limit. But it may still be faster than sat on a M/Way going no where..

So like all things, treat the sat nav as a guide. Not a "You Have To Go This Way" Unless you want to have a feature in the "Metro" titled "Driver follows sat nav instructions & end up driving over cliff" 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
326 Posts
I know I have supported the inbuilt app but today I found it taking me down a single track road that none of the other nav apps do.

I had a bit of time on my hands today so I put in a destination that I go to frequently, there are 3 obvious routes but one is a mile shorter but uses a single track road. Google and Here chose route A, TomTom chose B both are 13 miles and there is not much to choose between them road wise, but Kia chose C which is 12.1 miles but uses a single track road.

I have checked out all the route options I could find but there was nothing in any of the apps that rules out minor roads so it would seem the Kia app gives priority to distance over other conciderations.

It looks as if I will have to check the route in future rather than just accept it, such a shame 😡

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
326 Posts
See my post #15 above, the Route setting, but I think we have established my menus are different to yours
Yup completely different and I don't have Fast route, I only have 4 option which from memory are Motorway, Vignette, Toll and Ferry.

·
Super Moderator
6,263 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Is this for older units as well (Stonic 1st Edition) or just UVO? if so it's a bummer - I don't want to be routed over Toll Roads!
Toll roads are among the few things you can avoid. I'll go and get a picture...
So this is what you get on a 2021 Soul EV with the latest software (03-03-2021) and maps (EUR.13)
After some trouble looking in settings, unable to find the setting that I was sure I had seen as part of navigation settings, I (re)discovered that the "Route avoid options" only appear when you are selecting a destination.
(I had even tried searching all settings for the word "toll")
OK, that's my stupidity, but you would hope that a selection of "avoids" would be persistent from trip to trip, so shouldn't it be in the navigation settings to have a global effect and the button on the destination select screen would just be a handy shortcut to make a change?
Ecoregion World Map Font Biome

The options on our Soul are:
  • Avoid motorways
  • Avoid vignette road
  • Avoid ferry
  • Avoid time restricted road
  • Avoid toll road
  • Avoid tunnel

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
326 Posts
I have just been looking through the online manual and found this:

Rectangle Computer Font Operating system Screenshot

Colorfulness Computer Product Black Rectangle

I cannot find the Route Options menus, I only seem to have the Route to Avoid option.

I have the 10.25 LG head set

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have just been looking through the online manual and found this:

View attachment 12078

View attachment 12077

I cannot find the Route Options menus, I only seem to have the Route to Avoid option.

I have the 10.25 LG head set
I’ve just checked and mine is exactly the same

While I’m at it, I have always wondered if this screen takes any notice of our Route Avoid Options or whether it plots the route solely on live Traffic info. I also don’t find the alternative option very useful as it tells me almost nothing to help me to decide, therefore it’s Recommended every time, and fingers crossed we don’t go down too many farm tracks (or the Mersey Tunnel on a Friday afternoon)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
That looks similar to what I have, a main and alternative route displays and highlighted on the map. If I press the Route Options on that screen I can then change the options (inc Short/Fast) and press Recalculate (on the same screen) to determine a new route set by the chosen Route Options.

What comes up if you hit Route Options on that screen?

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
That looks similar to what I have, a main and alternative route displays and highlighted on the map. If I press the Route Options on that screen I can then change the options (inc Short/Fast) and press Recalculate (on the same screen) to determine a new route set by the chosen Route Options.

What comes up if you hit Route Options on that screen?
If I click on Route Options on that Screen I just get the same 4 Avoidance Options as above.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
This May make it clearer;

First a route was determined with Avoid Toll Road set in my main settings (both Fast and Short are the same because there are no alternatives)

Map World Line Font Rectangle

I pressed Route options and deselected Avoid Toll road; (Route options are disabled on this screen because the unit is determining both Fast and Short route)

Font Display device Technology Electronic device Multimedia

and pressed Recalculate at the bottom;

This presented me with a new route via a Toll bridge;
Map World Font Electronic device Parallel

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If I click on Route Options on that Screen I just get the same 4 Avoidance Options as above.
Looks like we cross posted but it does seem you Nav is significantly different to mine (which is 2020).

I get mine updated at the end of the month so will be interested to see if I loose the Routing options.

21 - 40 of 101 Posts