Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it my unlucky experience, or do others find this too?
I'm driving Soul EV with 03/03/2021 software and EUR.13 maps.

In rural environments the navigation seems far too willing to take me off perfectly good A and B roads and down miles of "roads" where grass verges brush the right and left sides of the car and grass is growing in the middle. I imagine that it may have thought that the road was just national speed limit, even though in reality I must go quite slowly due to having no room for cars to pass and no visibility round bends. A few weeks ago it sent me through about 30 minutes of slow and tense driving which I am sure could have been bettered speed-wise, if not distance, by taking a less stressful route. I needed to reverse-up 2-3 times and other cars had to do the same.
I've had moments when it has wanted me to turn into a track and I've thought "I'm not doing that", so stopped and got my phone out to have a second opinion from Google's navigation. I've used Google as a second opinion and it seems to be a bit more reasonable at sticking to better roads.

I know the possible answer of: "don't use the Kia navigation - Use Android Auto" !!!! Ditto any other "workaround"
I've done that on several occasions.

What I'd like is for Kia and Here maps to take on board the feedback that something needs tweaking in the navigation planning.

Constructive criticism time:-
The software has settings to do things like avoid tolls and other things, can they think about some setting to prefer classified roads where possible?
Is there a problem with the routing not taking account that an unrestricted road does not = 60 mph road?
Is there perhaps more emphasis on shortest distance than time?
Could it be possible to calculate "simplest route" for a driver (minimum numbers of road turns)?

I'm sure that on a recent journey the car got me to take a right turn into a narrow unclassified road which 5 minutes later emerged onto a B road where I then went right. It had chosen to cut a corner off, but at the expense of right turns and being sent via a narrow, slow road which wasn't wide enough for two-way traffic! I am sure there was no traffic to have made that a justifiable cut on time-saving. I would have much preferred to spend 3 more minutes on the A road then turn where there was good signage for destinations into a B road where I spend another 2 minutes driving comfortably.

Just to repeat the point I made earlier - I know that I could use other software. I would like Kia to make it better. I'm not aware of any 3rd party software being able to send graphics to the HUD.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I agree, I have had a few rural excursions recently, apart from being annoying, the only comment I think I can make is that it has almost always happened after the Nav has rerouted from the original route due to traffic, accident etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, I have had a few rural excursions recently, apart from being annoying, the only comment I think I can make is that it has almost always happened after the Nav has rerouted from the original route due to traffic, accident etc.
Interesting that for you it was "almost always" for good reason...
I'd be happy if it was because the "connected data" meant it was rerouting around bad traffic, but I'm sure most of the cases I've experienced were not this. I've known it to re-route round notoriously bad traffic around Stonehenge. That's fine, but I think it is far more prevalent than that. When it cut me between two 2-way roads on some small track I was sure there was no issue and recently in Sussex I switched to Google which turned me around and I completed the last 15 minutes of my journey through on some descent roads rather than the track the Kia navigation had turned me into.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
bring back the A-Z atlas i say... if ever i ended up on a by road then it was my fault and not the atlas i was relying on...
most of the "off roading" and "back roading" away from swish dual carriageways and speedy motorways is possibly down to pilot error i`m afraid.. go into the configurations of your sat nav and untick "quickest route" that way the sat nav will sort you out a more sedate leisurely carpark on the motorway where other like minded "pilots! sit for hours on end waiting for the said carpark to disperse and allow you to continue your journey...i prefer to take the quickest route option even if it is a bit off the beaten tracks at times, that way i get to enjoy the views and life seems a lot more stress free..

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...that way the sat nav will sort you out a more sedate leisurely carpark on the motorway where other like minded "pilots! sit for hours on end waiting for the said carpark to disperse and allow you to continue your journey...i prefer to take the quickest route option even if it is a bit off the beaten tracks at times, that way i get to enjoy the views and life seems a lot more stress free..
Yes, very funny but there's got to be a middle way.
I'm not talking about stationary motorways vs. good 'ol highways, I'm talking about time killing tiny lanes. From the perspective of someone who grew up in the countryside, the last thing farm vehicle drivers and locals who know their road want to see is eejits from the city or far afield careering down unfamiliar farm lanes and sometimes incapable of reversing competently! Just being there and being a nuisance as farmers move a trailer from field to barn is bad enough.
I'm quite happy reversing into layby but it seemed to me that Kia's routing does not take adequate account of the time cost of some of the routes it comes up with.
My suggestions were born of finding many times when the route was complicated and slow and that sometimes drivers might appreciate a "keep it simple" route unless there is sufficient gain. Saving two minutes isn't a saving if the road is unclassified and historic use may indicate slow or erratic average speeds. I believe that Here maps, TomTom and Google make money by analysis of average and current speed on roads. It seems odd to use a route unless there is sufficient gain. Do I want to take a complicated route if traffic ahead is slow - yes. Do I want to take a shortcut which may be a 2 minute saving but may be a 2 minute slower - no. There needs to be sufficient gain to be worth congesting back roads.

I wish I'd taken some pictures of the morning I spent 30-40 minutes on tiny lanes and arrived 10 minutes late from the estimate on a 50 minute journey. Narrow, grass in the middle, clods of earth from the field gates. If I had done it manually I would expect 40 minutes on A+B roads and 10 minutes on small roads. In isolation I wouldn't have been surprised at a few minutes of such a lane for the end of my journey, but it was nothing like what I would have done if I had been using a road atlas to plan my path and follow signs from place to place. I guess that some destinations are always pigs (Forde Abbey in Somerset is one of them). You go with the car's navigation, hoping that it is just a short stretch. It is only as time goes by that you wonder if this was really necessary, by the time you get Google Maps on the case you are already well into the sticks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have also encountered this wonderful routing from the built-in satnav. Yes, sometimes it is response to roadworks or a delay etc., on the "normal" route via motorways or A or B roads, but often not so. I have been taken around two sides if square via country tracks and through farmyards rather via the other two sides of the square via A roads, with no significant saving in distance and certainly a time penalty. I have also been directed up a country lane that was no more than two wheel tracks through vegetation, no doubt officially a public highway, but I declined that invitation and resorted to google, which seems to avoid such foibles!

It should not be beyond the wit of man or woman (whoever is writing the code) to use more realistic speed parameters for class C roads and below compared with A and B roads. That would probably get over issue in many cases where the current algorithms use 60mph ( where the national limit applies) as achievable speeds on roads where that is not so.

The satnav is most useful for the "last mile" of a trip to an unknown destination . Otherwise a map is still indeed often a necessity to ensure a sensible route.

·
Registered
17 Posts
bring back the A-Z atlas i say... if ever i ended up on a by road then it was my fault and not the atlas i was relying on...
most of the "off roading" and "back roading" away from swish dual carriageways and speedy motorways is possibly down to pilot error i`m afraid.. go into the configurations of your sat nav and untick "quickest route" that way the sat nav will sort you out a more sedate leisurely carpark on the motorway where other like minded "pilots! sit for hours on end waiting for the said carpark to disperse and allow you to continue your journey...i prefer to take the quickest route option even if it is a bit off the beaten tracks at times, that way i get to enjoy the views and life seems a lot more stress free..
have you used Kia sat nav down Devon and Cornwall ;);)

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
307 Posts
I haven't really experienced these issues but I have noted that there are very few route options and certainly no 'aviod minor roads' that we find in some other nav systems.

This is unlikely to be a Here issue as they only provide the maps, it probably isn't even Kia because the satnav system is likely to be from a third party company or indeed Kia may buy this in as part of the overall LG head unit system.

·
Registered
83 Posts
In Cornwall I think Google maps is pretty much the most useless navigation I know. Will be interesting to see what the Kia satnav does

·
Super Moderator
6,164 Posts
It should not be beyond the wit of man or woman (whoever is writing the code) to use more realistic speed parameters for class C roads and below compared with A and B roads. That would probably get over issue in many cases where the current algorithms use 60mph ( where the national limit applies) as achievable speeds on roads where that is not so.
It is most likely done by computer that will look at speed limits, just the same as a human would. Unless you have local knowledge of roads. Either are reliant on the data provided.

Only the driver has the eye's on the situation to realise that when it says turn left on to a "C" road. They should use their own judgement.
Not often I use Sat nav for actual routing unless on holiday. But when I do you bet your bottom $ that I will not be following the instruction in a area I know.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Have to say that I have found the Kia sat nav system to be so so frustrating on occasions, but equally of great benefit most of the time.

To try and get a handle on some of the bizarre routes it has been taking me, I have been testing it on local routes I know like the back of my hand. In some cases it provides ridiculous directions on simple A to B routes which I would never ordinarily take in a month of Sundays.

Taking into account these experiences, I use it for longer journies in conjunction with my trusted paperback route planner which provides an overview which I follow even if it means on some occasions, deviating from the prescribed sat nav route. It quickly recalculates when I do this.

I'm quite happy to live with this as I am now familiar with its limitations which I find manageable.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have found the onboard Nav has actually been brilliant at routing me round a couple of motorway accidents and the like, but it does involve a degree of trust. Unlike Garmin you don’t get a popup asking if you want to take the new route, and you get no indication WHY you’re being rerouted, you just have to trust or ignore it.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
307 Posts
It is most likely done by computer that will look at speed limits, just the same as a human would. Unless you have local knowledge of roads. Either are reliant on the data provided.
That is exactly what it is doing but it also looks at the road classifications and makes a judgement on these as well. That's why many nav systems allow you to set options for fastest/shortest or avoid unpaved/minor roads. It then uses algorithms to create the route. As I said earlier I have noticed that my nav has none of these options so the route I get is defined solely by the nav systems internal settings. It's just a shame we are not given just a little more control over our routes, I feel sure the options are there but just need to be uncovered.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Unlike Garmin you don’t get a popup asking if you want to take the new route, and you get no indication WHY you’re being rerouted, you just have to trust or ignore it.
The Nav on my Stonic pushes a Pop-Up onto the screen with the option to take or reject the new route if congestion has been detected, it gives the extra distance and time saving.

Also there are some options in the Nav Settings that let you avoid some roads - the Route Option gives Fast or Short options. That said I do find the Nav route can sometimes lead me down narrow roads where staying on a main - but longer road route - would be better. A recent trip, at night, into deepest Derbyshire led me on a very stressful drive along three ply roads in the Peak District when 5 extra miles on a B road would have been faster and safer.

Personal luxury car Gadget Font Audio equipment Display device

·
Registered
629 Posts
The Nav on my Stonic pushes a Pop-Up onto the screen with the option to take or reject the new route if congestion has been detected, it gives the extra distance and time saving.

Also there are some options in the Nav Settings that let you avoid some roads - the Route Option gives Fast or Short options. That said I do find the Nav route can sometimes lead me down narrow roads where staying on a main - but longer road route - would be better. A recent trip, at night, into deepest Derbyshire led me on a very stressful drive along three ply roads in the Peak District when 5 extra miles on a B road would have been faster and safer.

View attachment 12068
As far as I can recall my Options screen doesn’t look like that, I’ll check it out tomorrow, but I certainly don’t get an option to accept or reject a detour, just follow it or ignore it.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
As far as I can recall my Options screen doesn’t look like that, I’ll check it out tomorrow, but I certainly don’t get an option to accept or reject a detour, just follow it or ignore it.

You may have to have the hotspot/internet connection running - to get the popup. I'm not sure if the all re-route comes from the TPEG (radio) data or from TomTom LIVE servers or a combination of both.

·
Registered
629 Posts
You may have to have the hotspot/internet connection running - to get the popup. I'm not sure if the all re-route comes from the TPEG (radio) data or from TomTom LIVE servers or a combination of both.
Ah, I don't use the hotspot, I've got the UVO version with an eSIM, that might affect it

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Ah, I don't use the hotspot, I've got the UVO version with an eSIM, that might affect it

Probably not - the UVO still connects to the TomTom LIVE servers I think. I had not twigged you were on UVO, maybe others will comment about the pop ups but they have always been on the Nav on my Stonic over the last 3 updates so I assumed were embedded in the Kia Nav mindset :)

1 - 20 of 92 Posts