Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
On order - EV6 GT Line S in Yacht Blue : Initial delivery advised as end of January '23
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a GT Line S and wondering if those that understand such things consider whether or not the heat pump is worth the additional cost. The extra cost to have it equates to an extra £19 per month - am I likely to recoup that cost over a 48 month lease or not? I suspect not but figured I'd ask the forum! Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.......

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm looking at getting a GT Line S and wondering if those that understand such things consider whether or not the heat pump is worth the additional cost. The extra cost to have it equates to an extra £19 per month - am I likely to recoup that cost over a 48 month lease or not? I suspect not but figured I'd ask the forum! Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.......
Hello EV1980,
I have the same car on order and I thought long and hard about the optional heat-pump. In my case, my yearly mileage will be low so the potential for inefficiency would cause less of a problem to my driving. I spoke to a dealer and he said that it is unlikely to be worth it in the UK and that was why it is an option here. For me it's too late now to change my mind (even if I wanted to) as I would go to the back of the queue and have to pay the price increase that has just been announced. The residual value may be affected after the 48months a little but its a high price to pay for something that may not be noticed in normal use.

I'm no expert and I'm sure people that went the opposite way will have counter arguments but it's my opinion for what it's worth.

Ademission

·
Registered
On order - EV6 GT Line S in Yacht Blue : Initial delivery advised as end of January '23
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ademission, I do circa 14k miles per year, so higher than some but nothing out of the ordinary. I just don't see that I'd recoup the value from it but am keen to hear all pros and cons before placing my order.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 GT-LINE S AWD
75 Posts
I bought a GT-Line S AWD without the heat pump.

The heat pump recovers UP TO 19% of range lost due to cold weather. So if you lose 50 miles of range due to cold weather the heat pump may recover UP TO 9.5 miles of range. Not worth it for me.

The statistic I quote above was published by Kia themselves.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm assuming if I lived in northern Scotland, or countries that suffer from regular below zero temperatures for half the year i'd consider it better value. I've decided to go without the heat pump - doubt i'd see much of a return for the extra £18 per month!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I live in the north of Scotland and we rarely see temperatures below zero for more than a few days at most. Winters are mild compared to ten or more years ago. No snow this year again.
I decided against a heat pump as the cost of £995 far outweighed the difference in range without it and the subsequent cost of that difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's reassuring to hear m-a-r-k.

You're right, winters in the uk are not what they used to be. I can count On my fingers the number of times I've needed to scrape my windscreen in the morning - and that's with me leaving home before 7am.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I live in the north of Scotland and we rarely see temperatures below zero for more than a few days at most. Winters are mild compared to ten or more years ago. No snow this year again.
I decided against a heat pump as the cost of £995 far outweighed the difference in range without it and the subsequent cost of that difference.
Not too sure which part of the North of Scotland YOU live in!!!!!

Reactions: BRM_Storm

·
Registered
Kia EV6 GT-LINE S AWD
75 Posts
Not too sure which part of the North of Scotland YOU live in!!!!!
To be fair Jock, while it does get pretty miserable in the north, the lowest temperatures seem to be recorded in the middle of the country, e.g. Perthshire (I lived near Auchterarder years ago and we would get -16c in winter…) 😀

·
Registered
27 Posts
To be fair Jock, while it does get pretty miserable in the north, the lowest temperatures seem to be recorded in the middle of the country, e.g. Perthshire (I lived near Auchterarder years ago and we would get -16c in winter…) 😀
Yes on the Cairngorm plateau the weather is totally different to that on the east coast further north. Height above sea level has more of an effect on weather that latitude!
I can go inland and find snow on cars etc. where I didn't have a flake, as everywhere up here weather is very localised.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So you're in Dornoch and I'm just north of Golspie. I have seen snow on the ground here several times this year. Must be a microclimate. However, snow is not necessarily a measure of needing the heater on. I will agree with you that the climatic pattern is changing here in the North, but not necessarily getting warmer, just less predictable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So you're in Dornoch and I'm just north of Golspie. I have seen snow on the ground here several times this year. Must be a microclimate. However, snow is not necessarily a measure of needing the heater on. I will agree with you that the climatic pattern is changing here in the North, but not necessarily getting warmer, just less predictable.
Not Dornoch but close, across the firth from you :) I have a weather station and it's not getting warmer, the average yearly temperature has been consistent over the past 20 years. But the weather has changed, much more milder, less range, less snow and extremes in winter and summer hence the mean being the same. Yes, we have lots of microclimates up here, being in a bay may have an effect.

·
Registered
EV6 GTL AWD Heat pump
58 Posts
My Aberdeenshire dealer said that 90% of EV6 ordered through them had taken the heat pump. Not had much snow last winter, last was April, plenty of sub zero days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's funny everyone comparing where they are in the UK, I'm below London and the temp here still goes below a level that requires heating in the car. Heat pumps are know for their efficiency VS PTC heaters, so location is irrelevant, only what you set the car to and what the outside temp is. If it's lower outside then the car will heat, so heat pump will use less power than a PTC heater.

The only consideration should be can you afford the initial outlay to save the probably single digit pennies per trip saved in charging fees.

Considering my 2015 LEAF had a heat pump I'm not sure why any 2022 cars have it as an option still, but for me personally I would always add it to any car regardless of my location.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 GT-LINE S AWD
75 Posts
It's funny everyone comparing where they are in the UK, I'm below London and the temp here still goes below a level that requires heating in the car. Heat pumps are know for their efficiency VS PTC heaters, so location is irrelevant, only what you set the car to and what the outside temp is. If it's lower outside then the car will heat, so heat pump will use less power than a PTC heater.

The only consideration should be can you afford the initial outlay to save the probably single digit pennies per trip saved in charging fees.

Considering my 2015 LEAF had a heat pump I'm not sure why any 2022 cars have it as an option still, but for me personally I would always add it to any car regardless of my location.
It’s nothing to do with whether someone can afford it. It’s about understanding that there doesn’t appear to be much of a reason to add one. Even when it’s working absolutely optimally, it can only add up to 10 miles of total range in cold weather. The savings on electricity are trivial as you say.

It is an emotional purchase not based on logic, so if it makes you feel better have at it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It’s nothing to do with whether someone can afford it. It’s about understanding that there doesn’t appear to be much of a reason to add one. Even when it’s working absolutely optimally, it can only add up to 10 miles of total range in cold weather. The savings on electricity are trivial as you say.

It is an emotional purchase not based on logic, so if it makes you feel better have at it.
10 miles of extra range can mean the difference between getting home or not when you can have well in excess of 50 miles between public charging points!

Reactions: bydandie

·
Registered
Kia EV6 GT Line-S AWD in Black, no heat pump
55 Posts

quite right.... but it does depends on use case. If you are pushing things to a 10 mile safety margin I think you have other issues. I don't think I've ever had mine down betow 15%.

Financially, the break even point is about say 3,000kWh, saved if you're paying £0.3kWh. It's going to save about 9.5 miles per cold weather charge with each charge cycle equaling about 250 miles. So roughly 3kWh per 250 miles driven.

You can also, minimise the range loss by preheating to above what you need on your main charger (if you have one). You then turn off the HVAC initially in your journey, so the car has generated unwanted heat in the system by the time you need to warm the cabin. The PTC Heater is then only needed to top up the excess system heat. It works, I did this last winter.

·
Registered
541 Posts

That's quite a binary statement there TBH. My reason to add it was is was more efficient heating, nothing more and nothing less. It's an option that's there for when you really need it which you can't retrofit.

If you're decision is based on payback, then I agree that there is very little point in buying it though ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts