Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
haha I would have loved to of had the new shape Rio which I think is more attractive, but I'm happy with my Rio Graphite... ONLY concern thus far is how much petrol it's going through!

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,125 Posts
Well I have an '05Rio1 Le+ and my father has a '58 Rio2 1.4 (he had a Rio1 1.5 before that) and I like the Rio 1 for it's turning circle, boot space and cheap price. The Rio 2 looks better, has a better engine and anicer dashboard and interior. Would i spend a load more cash to upgrade tomorrow?....No. When my Rio1 is no longer economical to keep on the road then yes.

Phil

·
Registered
451 Posts
The wife had a MK2 1.5 diesel LX and that was a belting engine the car used to fly

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think unless they put a more powerful engine in the new shape Rio and make it less expensive to buy, I think the 2005-2011 1.5 CRDi is by far the best.
I like the old 2001-2003 Rio, it's fun to drive, has good boot space, handles quite well, but it hasa 1.3 petrol engine and not much leg room in the back, plus only a lap belt in the centre rear seat.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i love my 2008 Rio, only critique i have at the moment, and its only minor is the interior styling. New Rio's are nice step up for Kia, but the engine options are puny compared to the outgoing models. None can better the 1.5CRDi lump, so until they have the new 1.6 petrol block from Hyundai. I still think 05-11 model is the best bang-for-buck. It seems Hyundai are getting up market to compete as a premium/sports brand, whilst Kia handles budget models, so i doubt we'd get much sporty cars from Kia.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 1.5 diesel which has just had it's 60,000 mile service. Love it so much I have bought another one on a 2011, pre-registered with only 151 miles on the clock.
Cost £1000 less than the one I bought three years ago !

·
Registered
328 Posts
cant agree more.
The price point and the performance of the 1.5L diesel puts other small diesels to shame.

saying that, mine is in for its first MOT and a 40,000 service so fingers crossed. lol

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Should be fine Diddy! They seem to be better built than the new ones.
40,000 miles? Barely even broken in yet then!

Mine didn't even start to get good until after 50 k. Done 65 k now and still on the original pads and discs!

·
Registered
328 Posts
well it sailed trough. yeh !

But my local indie has a relaxed attitude to billing so I have no breakdown on costs and what has been changed.
But the book is stamped and boy does it rocket along now.

Had a service as well so it no longer sounds like a trapped merchantman hammering at the hull.
The only problem that I have noticed over every service is that the fuel economy dives a bit after any oil change.

Much to my non surprise is what is happening now.
However after a tank of fuel (400 odd miles), the fuel economy will be back to normal.

I guess it is the fact that oil has to carbonise a bit before it starts to work effectively.

Looking at past fuel economy figures I suspect that directly after a service I average about 47mpg then it climbs back to the 50 - 52 mpg.
Not a huge difference but noticeable for a tight wad like me.

Edited by: diddy1234

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Good news on the Rio diddy

My Leons air con fan just chewed through the top radiator hose today. It must have been rubbing for sometime as I have never had the top hose off. The hose is double thickness where it passes the fan but you cant see it untill you take the airscoop off. £26 from Mr Seat, wit a bummer

·
Registered
525 Posts
Guys, To describe the '05-'11 Model Rio as even in the same game, let alone the same league as the '11 onwards Rio is nonsense.

In every area the new model is a superior car, build, quality, design, asthetics, drive, handling, everything its miles better. The only benefits of the older model that i can see are that the 1.5CRDi engine was significantly more powerfull, and the old model is cheap, but, if you want a used car that is cheap and fast, you wouldnt be buying a Kia Rio.

The old rio was white goods, albeit with a good ownership propostion in the warranty, but compared to all its piers it was not good and was well behind just about every contender in other areas.

I had one as a hire car once and it was awfull, the interior was not a pleasent place to sit, the gearbox was horrifc, everything was hard plastic, i could wait to give it back. I even considered using my own car at my own expense rather than taking it, in the end i wish i had.

Dont want to offend, and i know that people (myself included) gain an emotional attatchment to cars, but the 2nd Gen Rio wasnt exactly a high point in Kias carrer, it is better than the Pride though!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Boz, which model Riodid you drive? Mine is nothing like what you describe.
Although the new Rio may be a bit more refined in places and has some extra toys, it has serious short comings as a replacement to the mark 2 1.5 CRDi Rio.

Firstly, it is horrendously expensive for what you get.
The service interval is shorter.
Thecar is slightly more economical at a constant speed, but you have to thrash it to get anywhere so it's a false economy.
The Mark 2 Rio has an excellent reliability record. The New Rio seems to be having a lot of teething problems that have to be sorted out yet.

We all know that the Mk2 CRDi Rio is not the best car in the world, but for the money it's a fantastic car and very hard to beat. For what the new Rio has to offer, I don't think it's worth the money.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts